We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

VC++ 2015 redist keeps downloading on every TurbineLauncher.exe start

How do I stop this from happening?

Frisco is offline Hero Of the Small Folk 2013
    Yeah, pretty annoying to get the "Are you sure you want to let this program make changes to your computer?" dialogue box every time. Would love to hear some people's workarounds.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

I am getting the same problem. Running the launcher as administrator doesn't fix it.

Instead of using the old-old TurbineLauncher, use LotroLauncher in the same install folder and see if that makes a difference.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

with me VC++ 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Instead of using the old-old TurbineLauncher, use LotroLauncher in the same install folder and see if that makes a difference.
    I'm starting from LotroLauncher and it asks to update each time for me. Not a major issue but it is annoying to have to do it every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    I was using LotroLauncher.exe. Trying it again, to make sure, it doesn't make a difference.

After trying various things I have found a workaround. I downloaded VC_redist.x86.exe and VC_redist.x64.exe from "The latest supported Visual C++ downloads" page on the Microsoft website. I copied them into "C:\Program Files (x86)\StandingStoneGames\The Lord of the Rings Online". Now if I run LotroLauncher.exe as a standard user then it starts without asking for adminstrator permission.

However if I run LotroLauncher.exe as an adminstrator it asks for permission and then deletes VC_redist.x86.exe and VC_redist.x64.exe when it has finished. Thus subsequent times I run LotroLauncher.exe it asks for permission again. Is this a clue to what the actual problem is?

I'm having the same problem. Not so much a problem because the reinstall works every time, but it's annoying and I'm figuring one day, after another game update, it won't. Doing what Cord said doesn't make a difference.

I'm having the same problem. I downloaded a fresh copy of the game on 16 Nov 2020 on a new windows 10 (20H2) installation. So I'm using the LotroLauncher and have no legacy Turbine files.
    Every single time I launch the game it requires admin permissions to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable Package (x64). If I deny permission the launcher simply exits.

I don't even know what it's doing because I couldn't get the game to launch until I manually downloaded and installed that redistributable package. The game runs fine now, but the launcher keeps attempting to install it (and failing perhaps?)

Unfortunately IkeIllmore's suggestion doesn't fix it for me. I would really like to be able to run the game in user mode instead of admin mode. Because it also implies other programs must be run in admin mode. For example discord's push to talk only works if the discord client has the same permission as the game client and thus needs to be launched in admin mode as well if the game is running in admin mode.

Found a somewhat workaround, but still this is an issue since that patch when they broke DX11+64bit client interaction.
    The temporary solution provided by them mentioned manual installation of microsoft visual c++ redistributables:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...49#post8041749
    They way it was 'fixed' afterwards is injecting enforced installation of those by launcher on each its startup. I took a look into this, resulting in following solution: created a shortcut on desktop, which enlisted the following startup parameters:
    -nosplash - skiprawdownload -disablepatch
    This can be done in variety of ways, not just via injection of them into shortcut code. Can use command line, like:

cd /d <game folder address>
    lotrolauncher.exe -nosplash - skiprawdownload -disablepatch

or, for steam users to write them into startup options in game parameters. Just to enlist these keys somewhere for launcher to take them into consideration.

But i have to mention, this workaround has a major drawback for those not visiting game on regular (read-daily) basis. You have to keep an eye on updates yourself, otherwise lotroclient.exe (or lotroclient64.exe) wont let you past Receiving Character Data... loading screen. And start launcher in normal mode if an update shows up, which will bring up vc_redist libraries installation again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nydhogg View Post
    ... (and failing perhaps?)
    It does not fail, at least for me (Windows 7). If you check your windows task manager during that installation attempt by launcher, it will show several vc_redist<bitrate>.exe, and also the Windows Installed Programs list (which generally is a stack of registry keys) will show the installation date matching the day the launcher started install process (ofc if you let it finish and not terminated vc_redist via windows task manager or cmd)
    Last edited by l6rp24e57; Dec 07 2020 at 09:43 AM.

Hi all. When just 2 months ago I had done some work on my PC. I used a site (I will link below) to install all C++ form 2005 - 2017. There's 16 in all and all are installed in a matter of seconds. It was designed for a new computer to be installed on however I can tell you that it does work on an existing PC. It will uninstall what you have than install all of them. When I did this I discovered that I thought the overall graphics had improved. For me it worked. Maybe for you it will also.

The site is MajorGeeks

Download Visual C++ Runtime Installer (All-In-One) - MajorGeeks

Quote Originally Posted by l6rp24e57 View Post

It does not fail, at least for me (Windows 7). If you check your windows task manager during that installation attempt by launcher, it will show several vc_redist<bitrate>.exe, and also the Windows Installed Programs list (which generally is a stack of registry keys) will show the installation date matching the day the launcher started install process (ofc if you let it finish and not terminated vc_redist via windows task manager or cmd)
    Yeah you're right, the install date is today. I just it interesting it never worked until I manually installed it.

Thanks for the other suggestion, I will definitely pass those options and create a separate launcher shortcut for patch days!

same issue

New player here. Downloaded from Steam and started - could log in without issues etc. Played for a bit, logged out.

Second time logging in, got this VC++ item (installing ...) - do I need to install this everytime?

Quote Originally Posted by Valm View Post
    New player here. Downloaded from Steam and started - could log in without issues etc. Played for a bit, logged out.

Second time logging in, got this VC++ item (installing ...) - do I need to install this everytime?
    I have to, at least on my laptop. It only takes about 10 seconds for me. As I said above, it works every time.
    Never have figured out why it's this way on my (newer) W10 laptop but not on my (older) W10 desktop. 64-bit client on both.