We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Censorship???

Censorship???

Was in game talking to kinnies and ran across a startling piece of censorship that none of us could understand. Why is the word "Follower" censored in game chat? Non of us could think of any possible meaning that would make it objectionable in everyday usage!

istvana is offline Legendary forums 1st poster
    Many words are censored for no reason that is obvious from the perspective of an English-speaker. The reason is usually one of two things.

One - SSG screwed up. Few of us believe this is possible but, sadly, even the best occasionally err.

Two - there is some foreign language where the word is offensive enough that SSG saw fit to include it in the filter. Or where part of the word is.

Actually there is a third possibility - someone mistyped the word and it was the mistyped version that drew the wrath of the filter.

HUGE amount of words censored without reasons.

Silorien is offline Software Engineer - Standing Stone Games
    When this happens, it is almost always unintentional. The majority of the problem stems from our transition a few years back from a data source of simple word tokens to a data source of regular expressions. Anyone who has worked with regular expressions can probably understand how easy it is to catch false positives, especially when dealing with thousands of entries that do in fact include foreign words and names. We have no choice but to handle these as they crop up because it is too much data for any single person to parse.

Quote Originally Posted by Silorien View Post
    When this happens, it is almost always unintentional. The majority of the problem stems from our transition a few years back from a data source of simple word tokens to a data source of regular expressions. Anyone who has worked with regular expressions can probably understand how easy it is to catch false positives, especially when dealing with thousands of entries that do in fact include foreign words and names. We have no choice but to handle these as they crop up because it is too much data for any single person to parse.
    Thank You.
    Now, I will bug those "censorships" when I see them.

Like I told you...What I said...Steal your face right off your head.

the word "windows" is censored. lol.

We had the word Windows bleeped out. You can turn filter on or off though so never been a big issue for me.

I often tell stories in game.
    Many of the stories I've told will work fine one week, and a few weeks later, half the words are censored.
    Elf Sentinels themselves are censored.
    You can wave at one and is emotes "Hoppa waves at !%$#%&^%$"
    Too many words that are common words, proper words that have use and a need to be said at times, that are not dirty or drug related that are censored.
    As said, Windows, followers, are a couple that have no need to be censored.
    I had the censor on to prevent real curse words from showing up, but alas, when you cannot look out the windows at your elf sentinel followers, without it looking like you've cursed up a storm, something needs fixin :P ehehhe

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    Was in game talking to kinnies and ran across a startling piece of censorship that none of us could understand. Why is the word "Follower" censored in game chat? Non of us could think of any possible meaning that would make it objectionable in everyday usage!
    Windows censored too.
    Dude, they even censored their own instance name. Glimmerdeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlin View Post
    Windows censored too.
    Dude, they even censored their own instance name. Glimmerdeep.
    That one makes sense. The sequence from the second "m" through the next 4 characters, spells out a swear word in French.

"Windows" still boggles my mind, though.

the name of one of the games Instances is even censored.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlin View Post
    Windows censored too.
    This is because this game is optimized for Linux and MacOS :-)