We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

A casual players perspective.

First, let me define casual. I don't mean casual in terms of number of hours played. My family logs in daily. I alone, have about 7 130s. What I mean by casual is that you will not find me in raids or really any T2 content. I do not try and max/min my characters. What my family enjoys doing is playing lord of the rings online together. We've been doing this for about a decade on different accounts. When we feel like playing a different alt, we play a different alt or create a new one.
    Here's the thing, no one in my household likes WoTP dailies.
    No one.
    As casual players we will not log into a game to do content we do not like. We won't be angry, we won't be bad mouthing standing stone games, we just won't be logging in.
    I get that standing stone games wants to push people to buy expansions and do their newest content, but I'm sorry team, I do not think this was the best way to go about it.
    MT dailies were easy, they were relaxing and here's the best part for standing stone games. My family would log in to do MT dailies, we liked doing them, we talked, we played, maybe watched some television or you tube at the same time, but we played the game.
    Everyone knows the more you play, the more you pay.
    Once we started doing MT dailies we did other things, but the slow and steady MT dailies were what made it easy to log on.
    None of us will log in for WoTP dailies.
    We may log in for other things, every once in awhile, but you've created a system where if we want to increase the power of our weapons we have to do WoTP dailies now.
    As stated above, the problem is we are not min/max people. We are not going to choke down content we don't like just to improve our weapon and then do it several times over.
    There is no hate or anger in this message from my family to standing stone games, we've enjoyed our time in middle earth and we may enjoy it again in the future, but I just cannot see my family enjoying it now.
    See you all whenever we do log in.

Best Regards,
    Faud

Quote Originally Posted by Faudyen View Post
    First, let me define casual. I don't mean casual in terms of number of hours played. My family logs in daily. I alone, have about 7 130s. What I mean by casual is that you will not find me in raids or really any T2 content. I do not try and max/min my characters. What my family enjoys doing is playing lord of the rings online together. We've been doing this for about a decade on different accounts. When we feel like playing a different alt, we play a different alt or create a new one.
    No one.
    As casual players we will not log into a game to do content we do not like. We won't be angry, we won't be bad mouthing standing stone games, we just won't be logging in.
    I get that standing stone games wants to push people to buy expansions and do their newest content, but I'm sorry team, I do not think this was the best way to go about it.
    MT dailies were easy, they were relaxing and here's the best part for standing stone games. My family would log in to do MT dailies, we liked doing them, we talked, we played, maybe watched some television or you tube at the same time, but we played the game.
    Once we started doing MT dailies we did other things, but the slow and steady MT dailies were what made it easy to log on.
    We may log in for other things, every once in awhile, but you've created a system where if we want to increase the power of our weapons we have to do WoTP dailies now.
    As stated above, the problem is we are not min/max people. We are not going to choke down content we don't like just to improve our weapon and then do it several times over.
    There is no hate or anger in this message from my family to standing stone games, we've enjoyed our time in middle earth and we may enjoy it again in the future, but I just cannot see my family enjoying it now.

Best Regards,
    Faud

Wonderfully said and what I have tried to express a few times. If I like content, I play it.

The "War" dailies are stressful and the missions are boring (imo). I liked the "Rammas" dailies and finished MT celebrated on 2 characters with them. Then I realized I never stay on top of this now very insane grind and just stopped caring. The question is what they plan to do with the ILI? Right now it seems to be to enhance the grind and force players into specific content. Why else go through so much trouble to change so many things when it would be so much easier to really let the ILI grow with us through levelling without crystals and scrolls needed.
    It really has become very clear to me that they prefer closed spaces (instances and one way landscape) over open landscape and they also seem to prefer darker environments. The last time I liked dailies was Dale lands and even Felegoth seems so much better then what we have since then. I think players like us will eventually be left behind with this ever increasing grind for everything. And I refuse to buy enhancement items in the store. But our playing field can still be to the Gates of Mordor (finish the epic). It is just sad to see so much good storytelling after fall to the wayside due to the ILI which on some classes just can't be replaced.

Yes, pretty much this: I do not do things I dislike. I hate the concept of dailies and reputation and I almost complitly ignore it. Do not care about raitings, progression, min-maxing, or whatever you call it either.

Well said. To add to this... some of us refuse to pay $20 for a glorified quest pack just so we can get the WoTP dailies in the first place. I guess I'll resign myself to not getting any more alts to or near end game content. Every new nerf confirms that I made the right call when I cancelled my VIP sub.
    Spam Egg Sausage And Spam of Gladden (formerly Silverlode)
    Brau Steinmeister dwarf guardian 140 | Theozor Viazald human captain 140 |Bindore Breakwind dwarf hunter 140

Crunchy Frogs of Brandywine
    Oxandrium dwarf champion 140 | Bufflekil stout-axe hunter 129 | Randagnofus Ridiculous human loremaster 123

Also a casual player. I mostly solo, as my play time is limited, and only a couple of my kinship is around still. All of us have lifetime accounts so there's always the possibility that folks will come back, we have a nice kin house, etc., so I'm not switching kins. I enjoy the game. I have a number of alts. But the LI grind means that my weapons on most of my max level characters are not maxed - because I want to *enjoy the game*, not spend my limited time doing nothing but grinding. The further my weapons are left behind, the less I'm wanted in groups that do the content that has LI improvement drops. The MT scrolls were a reliable way I could make progress without a lot of trying to figure out where/what/how. I didn't *like* it, the ENTIRE grind needs to be *lessened*, not strung out, but it was something I could do when I was having a bad day with energy and brain fog and still be able to poke that grind along.

I have been considering trying to entice old kinmates back - but with this, I just can't. They're far behind as it is. Before I could say "yeah, it's a big chore, but it's easy to just run through these if you have just a few minutes". With the change it will be "well, if d then c, if e then f..." and they'll get frustrated and go back to their other games.

I spend money on the game. Buy points, buy expansions - even this latest. But with limited funds I can't just buy my way to (or near) max on every LI on every character. Nor should I have to. I want to continue to enjoy playing, but the grind is really starting to wear me down. Yeah, every game needs some, it's the nature of the beast, but the LI grind is excessive, and now longer, more complicated, and will likely make the game less and less enjoyable to existing casual players.

No one.

Best Regards,
    Faud
    Frankly this is pretty much everyone's attitude towards gaming or LOTRO in general. Otherwise why would we still be playing this game.

This wouldn't be an issue for games like Warframe or Genshin/Honkai where the content is given free with no cost. But with WOTP essentially being needing to be bought, you effectively gate your players yet again and force them to find another route to get the remaining leg items.

It isn't that bad, can just rako. But the fact that you question it, is already in itself a failure of modern game design.

Ppl play if its fun OR if the rewards are equivalent to the time spent. No one in this day and age will spend 1hr-2hrs doing a grindy WOTP daily just for a measly 2-3 SOEs.

It's a joke. Give us 10-20 SOEs at the most and than maybe you'll see ppl do it more often. Some will still do it btw, but not for fun but as a chore.

Btw no one is saying WOTP isn't eyecatching, it is but not worth the reward of just 2-3 SOEs.

No one.

Best Regards,
    Faud

Could not agree more. VERY well said !

No one.

Best Regards,
    Faud
    Poetry. Could not agree more

Casual gamer here too. Very casual, 4 years or so playing on and off, basically one toon at level 108.

I log in, try to find things I enjoy doing, don't take it seriously at all, and after an hour or two I'm out.

I'm happy to pay the Sub fee for quality content and getting good xp along the way during the story driven quest content.

Creating great quality solo and instance based content essentially takes work, time, patience, and money to produce. Trying to find some work-around by just planting in generic repetitive content that may say when you complete a segment of it *but look... you get this at the end of it!* is really not the answer, and your probably not going to add paying subscribers with that. Most of us work jobs all day long, and have little interest in getting in game and feeling like we are working a job again to play a game.

Make fun content, avoid overly complex content. As said in the Mandalorian series of episodes... "This is the way".
    Last edited by Ejinn; Jan 20 2021 at 04:15 PM.
    The banner of The Lord will fly, as it has been, as it is, and as it ever will be.

It's not necessary to have WoTP - there are still sources of SoE which don't have a level limit. You can get unbound ones from killing RTs and exchanging Gift-giver's brands and account bound ones from Stars of Merit barter. Running duo Minas Morgul instances (which can be done easily by any 130, especially if you run it at 121) often gives an account bound scroll. Whether these sources will remain, who knows, but they're there for now.

No one.

Best Regards,
    Faud
    Very well said.
    Always remember that you are unique, just like everybody else.

I think many casual/hardcore endgamers have left or taken a break, there isn't much to do at cap only 2 instances. So they want to monetize the endgame questers and alt makers as well. As you said, you don't want to do WOTP dailies, another reason for you to use the Lotro store instead or it will get way more tedious. Well, at least things are getting fairer, casuals are getting milked too now by the looks of it. They want everyone to use the store

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LotroVidz View Post
    I think many casual/hardcore endgamers have left or taken a break, there isn't much to do at cap only 2 instances. So they want to monetize the endgame questers and alt makers as well. As you said, you don't want to do WOTP dailies, another reason for you to use the Lotro store instead or it will get way more tedious. Well, at least things are getting fairer, casuals are getting milked too now by the looks of it. They want everyone to use the store
    We should be directed to the store mainly for one reason: Cosmetics, and lots of it.

Rn we're being milked for unlocks, and even player progression now. We are becoming an old version of EA...

Quote Originally Posted by wrath247 View Post
    We should be directed to the store mainly for one reason: Cosmetics, and lots of it.

Rn we're being milked for unlocks, and even player progression now. We are becoming an old version of EA...
    Ye its kind of crazy, you buy these expensive expansions and then get pushed into the store to be able to progress further.. In-game earnings are limited by dailies/weeklies and at the same time you can max out an LI using store in a few minutes without restrictions. P2W is real in this game.
    Last edited by LotroVidz; Jan 21 2021 at 04:17 AM.

Miserable game play lately

The area where you grind rep for each circle and have mobs ever few feet plus the gate locking for the instants was bad. Was very glad to get out of Mordor and then came the Minis Ithil expansion and the last Elderslade one. Think Elderslade tops them all for being the worst. To even get the dailies you have to do fellowship quests which are part of a long series. To find someone online at the time you have to play and on the same quest has been a sick choke. There isn't even a place to stop to answer the door and so forth. The last two patches have been huge screwups. The first one killed PVP and this last one messed up PVE. Who cares if someone worked to max out their LI at a low level? They are paying for the game and should be able to play the way they want. Why limit even more game freedom for rep? It is a huge grind for rep and now you make it even worse? When are we going to get something people will like?

Quote Originally Posted by sting-sethkan View Post
    When are we going to get something people will like?
    It really comes down to the core reasons why SSG is continuing to develop the game.

If it's just to make money, regardless of the enjoyment factor of the player, regardless of the frustration caused by grindy and potentially overly complex content, then the result is a game that generally does not produce entertainment for paying players, and is lastly a game company that has no concern for people that work hard in their normal lives, and are looking for something to enjoy at the end of a long work day. This type of gaming company *is* the typical Free-To-Play company, that looks in depth at any way it can to get money from people while producing as little as possible.

If it's not just to make 'a living' for the company, but also to produce great quality content, then the company aims to work hard at making content that players enjoy doing, and furthermore content that players are wanting to replay over and over. This kind of quality game play content does not include much complex content inter-weaved, because it's essentially not complexities that make great content. Great content takes time, work, and money invested. Great quality content combines the obvious to create great stuff: Open environments, mostly positive environments that are immersive, interesting scenarios, detailed content, occasional challenges without going over board, good music that enhances the experience, and group based content that aims towards team work without being overbearing in difficulty. That's some of the it anyhow. And even if a particular instance may not be completed one or two times initially by players, if they had fun doing it, then it's already a win. On the flip side, if they did not win it after a few tries, but it was just an annoying hardship, then who wants to go back and do that again?

I would also get into Legendary Items, and the fact that players should not have to be going about in game gathering up volumes of them, plus leveling them, just to deconstruct them to get desired skills added to their main LI's, where overall this system is doing nothing for game play content but just perhaps attempting to make up for the lack of game play content by adding more gindy and complex content.

Producing great content that players (like me) want to do over and over again is Imo so important. On the flip side, of course no MMO game company can just constantly pump out good quality one-time-shot content, they would go broke. The repeatable content is essential, and essential that it is great stuff. It's still important to make the solo based story driven content really good, but that will fade as levels progress, and having repeatable group and solo content that is really fun and not so much work is what makes or breaks a good MMO.
    Last edited by Ejinn; Jan 29 2021 at 08:20 PM.
    The banner of The Lord will fly, as it has been, as it is, and as it ever will be.

I've been playing for not quite a year now (started during the first UK lockdown, looking for something to do) and have my main toon at lvl 90, plus a few others around the 50ish mark, so I don't understand every area of the game, but, as a mainly solo casual player I find so many things wrong with this game, not just an LI grind:

The quests are all either "go and kill x of these, then kill x of those, then kill the boss" or "carry this stuff around while dodging things". Very little thought is put into the quests themselves. I don't mind, per se, as I log in, kill a few orcs or whatever, and log out. Fine. A good laugh, but it's not really engaging. It's not making me want to come back and play more. I do that because I'm bored rather than because I am desperate to continue the quests.

The crafting mechanism seems to be largely pointless. By the time you have acquired the skills, recipes and ingredients to craft something you can use, you have usually already acquired something better via drops, barter, quest reward, or vendor (via gold). At times I have even put effort into advancing my crafting to be able to craft equipment above my level, ready to use it when I hit the mark, but almost always (except once, IIRC) have already found a better item which makes the crafted one redundant by the time I am ready to use it.

I'm not sure about premium housing. It seems you can only get these via mithril coins or housing writs and I have yet to find a way of acquiring those without buying them with LP, but "starter" homes in Bree, for example, are small, with very limited hooks and are not expandable or customisable. Also, getting interesting items seems to be fairly rare. I once bought a bed recipe from a ranger vendor, but then discovered that it was character bound, and I had the wrong crafting skills (was going to pass to an Alt to craft it, but couldn't). I'm sure there are ways of getting interesting items, I do have a few, but it's not obvious. Also, some items I have require a huge yard, which the starter homes don't have (have even bought myself a kinship house, but that only has one huge yard). Another annoying thing is, as far as I can tell, and I may be wrong, but you can't put stuff on other stuff. I have a vase of flowers sitting on the floor because I can't put it on a table. It looks stupid... so, apart from the storage and the few seconds pleasure of looking at your partly furnished house, it seems fairly pointless

Cosmetics are similar to houses. The stock in Bree, for example, is boring and never updated, and you need mithril coins, so it's largely a "purchase from the store" moment if you want "non quest" clothes. Also facial and body features are minimal, stock, and very boring.

Hobbies = fishing. period.

There is probably a lot more I could point out, and as a newbie casual solo player, I am sure I am missing the point of a lot of this stuff, but on the whole this game feels like everything the devs do is geared towards the next release, with no thought of going back and doing anything with what we already have.

After almost a year I am beginning to find myself getting quite bored, and thinking that the only way to add "fun" is to buy the new expansion and do the same stuff again. I appreciate that is the business model from SSG, but it would be so nice to see some love for what we already have. I want to go home and mow my lawn, do some gardening, maybe build an extension. I want to take up new hobbies, maybe competitively, I want to find new clothes and new ornaments to look different than everyone else, I want a mohawk haircut and a braided beard, maybe a tattoo... and so on. I would rather buy new content and stay in my area, than buy a new expansion into a new area and repeat the same boring "kill x, fetch y" quests over and over.

I am sure I will get a lot of "you don't understand, this game is not for you" and so on, but those are my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by LotroVidz View Post

Except casual players (meaning those that do not play end game raids, because there is more than one definition for casual) do not need those LI's maxed. They won't go to the store, they will just keep doing their landscape quests and when those have finished they will take a break or play something else until the next landscape content arrives.

So, it's a backfire.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Except casual players (meaning those that do not play end game raids, because there is more than one definition for casual) do not need those LI's maxed. They won't go to the store, they will just keep doing their landscape quests and when those have finished they will take a break or play something else until the next landscape content arrives.

So, it's a backfire.
    I think that's my issue with SSG, as I sort of waffled on about above. Once you level cap, there is nothing much interesting to do. Hobbies? Nope. Housing? Nah, not really, Cosmetics, meh... I mean, what do you do in Middle Earth when not questing?

I dunno. I just sort of wish the world was more engaging and rewarding in and of itself. I would happily spend time "levelling up" my house, or my crafting, or my hobbies, while I await the next expansion, except... there's little or no fun in those forgotten parts of the gameplay.

And yes, I know there are festivals to address some of this, but it only really adds some costumes and a few housing items, more of the same, it doesn't actually improve the system (for example, someone suggested somewhere the idea of seasons for your house, with snow in winter, and flowers in spring, etc.. If we then had a "house wardrobe" for example, where you can redecorate your house for the seasons, without having to take up all your storage with house items, that would be cool).

*shrugs* as I said, I find it a bit boring when not levelling, as there's not much to do imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    They won't go to the store, they will just keep doing their landscape quests and when those have finished they will take a break or play something else until the next landscape content arrives.

So, it's a backfire.
    Exactly you hit the nail on the head! Casuals will take a break and not spend the money or time.

It is a backfire, SSG loses actual revenue when casuals don't buy the expansion and potential revenue from what they might have bought.

Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    It really has become very clear to me that they prefer closed spaces (instances and one way landscape) over open landscape and they also seem to prefer darker environments.
    I agree, having played this game for more than a dozen years this is clearly the route SSG has chosen. I have little doubt it is due to the resources or lack thereof that SSG has compared to the glory days. I'd rather expansions took two years if that is what it takes for an open landscape that isn't dark and provides significant quests that are not entirely linear based.
    "Never argue with a fool, it's difficult to tell the difference"

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilan View Post
    Exactly you hit the nail on the head! Casuals will take a break and not spend the money or time.

It is a backfire, SSG loses actual revenue when casuals don't buy the expansion and potential revenue from what they might have bought.
    Actually casual players are generally the most likely to spend money but only on cosmetics. Since well, just want to enjoy the world and given how literally 70% of Eriador cosmetics + armor looks awful, it'd help if they had more better looking cosmetic sets in the store that were cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath247 View Post
    Actually casual players are generally the most likely to spend money but only on cosmetics. Since well, just want to enjoy the world and given how literally 70% of Eriador cosmetics + armor looks awful, it'd help if they had more better looking cosmetic sets in the store that were cheap.
    We also spend it on storage. However, since they don't increase wardrobe, shared inventory, or housing storage space to meet the ever expanding stuff in the game, it's another example of how they limit their own revenue stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Froyo_K_Baggins View Post
    We also spend it on storage. However, since they don't increase wardrobe, shared inventory, or housing storage space to meet the ever expanding stuff in the game, it's another example of how they limit their own revenue stream.
    True, but storage is kind of a norm for MMOs. What the rest of our practices are, are not. We're annoyingly outdated, backwards, narrowminded.

My brothers and I play this game and love it but we're at our limit. This is so backward, so old timey. For real just monetize cosmetics already!

I'm sorry if I sound emotional but all four of us are at our wits' end at how SSG doesn't seem to even understand how gamers today are, it's like they want to operate like we're in the 1900s.

I'm very timid irl. I don't make outbursts because I hate ranting, but enough is enough. We need change. Now. Modernize and stop living in the past already.