We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Stairs T3+ best strategy for PUGs

Hi

I have been in a few fail PUGs on T3+ of stairs. Other than the obvious boss mechanics I am not too sure the best way to deal with the bosses in these instances at the higher difficulties. I would really appreciate it if someone would be kind enough to write the best strategies for attempting this instance in a pug in terms of class composition and strategy. I realise a lot of well cordinated group can down these bosses very easily but in this case I am looking for some pointers for a pug group to have the best possible chance of success. FYI my main is Guardian so unfortunately no captain tank is possible in the groups I will be in.

Many thanks!

I would say classical setup, so tank, healer, support (lore master or burglar, or both if struggling) and dps. I have seen any setup working there, done also without any support classes.

Azbauz and Maugrush. One is melee, one ranged. When melee turns towards group, everyone needs to run behind him, then back to original position.

I imagine Shatarkha being main problem for most. There is probably few ways to do it. Tank in front, group behind boss. Two important things, do not interrupt his induction, and never stay close to iced person, never between boss and iced person, so group needs to be on the move in other words. We leave people iced, unless is a healer, or enough time to free person with aoe.

Groz-and-Ulk, nothing special, interrupt inductions when you can.
    Last edited by Mirhaen; Feb 25 2021 at 11:58 AM.

A RK with DD/Heal equip might come handy. Reason:

Azbauz and Maugrush. The most dangerous thing is the bleed that Azbauz puts on the tank. One healer often cannot outheal it at T3+, a RK as second healer spamming HoTs on the tank changes that. (Cappys can use SoD / LS to carry themselves through the first two bleeds, Guard has WH, which may not be enough for one bleed. ) Fight will take a bit longer ofc.

Shatarkha. We like to put DNF on the person that gets iced, so we do not have to waste a rez. Healing usually isn't as crucial as at boss 1, but he should be debuffed at all times, else his horn blow will kill some group members.

Groz-and-Ulk - compsition doesn't matter. Designate an interrupt order, that is all what it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirhaen View Post
    [...] never stay close to iced person, never between boss and iced person, so group needs to be on the move in other words.
    Why is that? We usually completely ignore the ice block, and rez/DNF the char when he/she is killed. This is the fastest way to bring him/her back into the game. Or does the ice block some kind oy damage/debuff to your group?

Thanks for the tips, to be honest the bleed from Azbauz is the thing that is causing most difficulty with the healer unable to keep the tank (me - guard) up. I know these bosses have to be interrupted but is there any other way of dealing with the bleed as a guard? I assume the application cannot be BPE so chaining pledge and juggernaut at the start will do nothing to delay getting it. Can LM or even burgs debuffs make it manageable by a single healer? Does the DPS loss of an off-healer cause additional problems other than the fights taking longer and hence more chance of people getting killed by a 1-shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Bhoris_they_spider View Post
    Thanks for the tips, to be honest the bleed from Azbauz is the thing that is causing most difficulty with the healer unable to keep the tank (me - guard) up. I know these bosses have to be interrupted but is there any other way of dealing with the bleed as a guard? I assume the application cannot be BPE so chaining pledge and juggernaut at the start will do nothing to delay getting it. Can LM or even burgs debuffs make it manageable by a single healer? Does the DPS loss of an off-healer cause additional problems other than the fights taking longer and hence more chance of people getting killed by a 1-shot?
    With a LM doing its debuffing job (lores + a lightning skill on archer to reduce its ranged damage), I've seen people suggest using the bear pet to taunt Azbauz when he calls out "Bleed". So if you wait to taunt back the bear should "bear the brunt" xD

I suck at explaining tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhoris_they_spider View Post
    It's definitely managable with a single healer if a debuffer is present. As guard, I try to save Redirect for the double bleeds or pop Litany to double fortifications (group doesn't take any damage, so taking group's damage doesn't matter in this scenario) - make sure to immediately cycle through your block chain to regain fortifications and improve mits even more. If your guard is a dwarf you might also want to use Endurance of Stone if things get messy.
    Dobb - Hobbit Burglar
    Thar - Dwarf Guardian
    [DE-RP]Belegaer
    R.I.P [DE]Anduin
    Visit my YouTube-Channel!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorikon View Post
    Why is that? We usually completely ignore the ice block, and rez/DNF the char when he/she is killed. This is the fastest way to bring him/her back into the game. Or does the ice block some kind oy damage/debuff to your group?
    Horn blow deals more damage if you stay close to iced person or between him and iced person. If away and behind boss, none will die. Well that was the case when I done it, unless something was changed meanwhile... I haven't been there for quite some time, busy with other things

Quote Originally Posted by Mirhaen View Post
    Horn blow deals more damage if you stay close to iced person or between him and iced person. If away and behind boss, none will die. Well that was the case when I done it, unless something was changed meanwhile... I haven't been there for quite some time, busy with other things
    Any inducation when he is going to blow his horn ?

Quote Originally Posted by Atrixzia View Post
    After yellow cast. I think he never use horn attack when at this moment you don't have any iced person.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrixzia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    After yellow cast. I think he never use horn attack when at this moment you don't have any iced person.

Often, not always, he turns toward ice, blast horn and kill everyone standing between him and ice Fun, fun. Well now I imagine people having more morale than we did, but probably still deadly for some classes. Plus, hello lag!

Azbauz and Maugrush. The most dangerous thing is the bleed that Azbauz puts on the tank. One healer often cannot outheal it at T3+, a RK as second healer spamming HoTs on the tank changes that. (Cappys can use SoD / LS to carry themselves through the first two bleeds, Guard has WH, which may not be enough for one bleed. ) Fight will take a bit longer ofc.

Shatarkha. We like to put DNF on the person that gets iced, so we do not have to waste a rez. Healing usually isn't as crucial as at boss 1, but he should be debuffed at all times, else his horn blow will kill some group members.

Groz-and-Ulk - compsition doesn't matter. Designate an interrupt order, that is all what it takes.

Just spot with the lm bear if he says bleed and magically there will be no bleed on the tank x)

you can just kite boss 2 and 3

Mortem Tyrannis

Iceboi and twins ranged boi bleeds are broken. They tiers up to 5 right away after initial bleed (Initial bleed -> tier 5). Last boss bleed works correctly. It goes from initial -> tier 1 -> tier 2 -> tier 3 -> tier 4 -> tier 5.
    Broken bleeds are only reason why people have troubles in t3+ stairs, oh and ofcourse bug what gets you frozen for 1min even that ice is destroyed.

If instance was working as it's ment to be working, it would be much more enjoyable and much more welcoming for other tanks than just cappy, what can BS it's way through bugged bleeds with SoD/LS.
    It can be done with guardian also, just gotta get fortification up fast, then redirect and litany when double bleed hits, that will help you stay up longer and hopefully one of the bleeds has dropped out at that time, if not, then guardian will go down.

I don't understand that. This isn't the first instance where players get trapped. IT's not hard to destroy the ice and the person can move/dps again. Relying on "let 'em die" seems crude.

Quote Originally Posted by Froyo_K_Baggins View Post
    This isn't the first instance where players get trapped. IT's not hard to destroy the ice and the person can move/dps again.
    3 out of 4 times, the ice block mechanic bugs out, meaning you destroy the block, but the character is still in a frozen state for a minute (cannot move, cannot use skills). 3 out of 4 times, DPS'ing the block achieves nothing, except prolonging the fight. Which gives the boss more time to freeze another char, and if that is the healer, it's a wipe. So, we choose to let them die. Blame it on SSG - this bug has been around since WotTP release, has been reported dozens of times, but they cannot be bothered to fix it.

My experience about the ice block is that if you free the person within 10s he can go on without issue.

After that he is still iced for for 60s total. Nevertheless if you free him, he can be iced again.
    I am not sure if this is bugged or as designed.

Anyway you can try to move the boss 90 degree of iced person to allow aoe free him and avoid that he is killed by frontal attack.

In my opinion for pug 2 points are important.
    1. avoid frontal (this is the main reason why pug fail)
    2. do not interrupt cast (unless heal is unavailable)
    Interrupt the cast often lead to Horn attack since boss rotation is shortened.