We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Game Launch/load issue

Just this morning I have developed a problem and I'm wondering if anyone else has it? Can anything be done to fix it?

I can log in as normal, and get to the character selection screen without any issue. After I select 'Enter Middle-Earth', the splash screen loads, and then after about 20 seconds or so, it goes black. I can't even use CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to the task manager, and I have to shut my laptop down with the power button.
    I played yesterday without any problems.
    I am using Windows 10, 64 bit. I have an AMD Ryzen 7-4800 graphics card, 2.90ghz. 15.4GB useable ram available.

Is that enough system info?

Thanks for the help...Cheers!
    Last edited by Teotas; Feb 28 2021 at 06:25 AM.

Have you gone into "Event Viewer" to check & see what Windows logged as issues/problems at that time. I know from experience it's not easy to always understand what is in it. I also would warn not to get up tight if you don't understand.

Just a thought.

I have a very similar problem.

Things will go fine for a long time then all of a sudden: I log in with no problems, am able to select my character and press the enter middle earth button. The loading screen comes up. The ring icon above the loading progress bar pulses once. Then the LoTRO freezes without showing any loading progress. In a minute or so Windows reports that the client is not responding and I have to close it through Task Manager.

I have a fairly new PC with a recent GeForce RTX 2070 video card and lots of RAM running the current version of Windows 10. My drivers are up-to-date. I think I've tried all the posted fixes. Switching between DX graphics versions doesn't fix it. Switching between 32 and 64 bit clients doesn't fix it.

Sometimes completely reinstalling the game helps (Steam) sometimes not. Once running a Windows update repair program (recommended by SSG help) seemed to fix things, but then the problem came back a few days later. Sometimes waiting a few days helps. I dunno... it seems kinda random.

I have exactly the same problem as Morfineth. I was a long-time LOTRO player until I moved on 6 or 7 years ago. I read about Treebeard and decided I'd like to give it another go through the progression experience. I restored my VIP subscription, downloaded the game, created a new character on Treebeard, but then when I hit the button to enter the game I got to the loading screen, the loading indicator ring pulsed exactly once, and then the screen froze. I have tried every published trick I could find, to no avail. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game several times, both from the Standing Stones download site and from Steam. Every time, the exact same result. I even downloaded the game on my lowish-end laptop on WiFi, and it actually worked. I got into the game, but because of the inferior hardware and connection it wasn't particularly playable.

My best guess is that there is some kind of hardware (or maybe software) incompatibility with my new desktop system, which is a high-end Alienware rig with the latest GPU. I did put in a ticket last week, but have not heard anything back yet. I'm going to make one more download attempt and then just give up. I guess I should not have renewed my subscription until after making sure I could get back into the game, but it never occurred to me that with my new system it would be a problem.
    The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Morat View Post
    I have exactly the same problem as Morfineth. I was a long-time LOTRO player until I moved on 6 or 7 years ago. I read about Treebeard and decided I'd like to give it another go through the progression experience. I restored my VIP subscription, downloaded the game, created a new character on Treebeard, but then when I hit the button to enter the game I got to the loading screen, the loading indicator ring pulsed exactly once, and then the screen froze. I have tried every published trick I could find, to no avail. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game several times, both from the Standing Stones download site and from Steam. Every time, the exact same result. I even downloaded the game on my lowish-end laptop on WiFi, and it actually worked. I got into the game, but because of the inferior hardware and connection it wasn't particularly playable.

My best guess is that there is some kind of hardware (or maybe software) incompatibility with my new desktop system, which is a high-end Alienware rig with the latest GPU. I did put in a ticket last week, but have not heard anything back yet. I'm going to make one more download attempt and then just give up. I guess I should not have renewed my subscription until after making sure I could get back into the game, but it never occurred to me that with my new system it would be a problem.
    I'll double post this as I had made the same comments in a couple of threads.

I finally figured out what the problem was, and since it was none of the issues anyone has raised here or in any other threads I thought I would explain what it was on the off-chance someone else had my specific problem.

I have an Alienware system (made by Dell). There is a Dell program that comes with it called Alienware Command Center that allows you to customize the colors of the lights in play (for instance, whenever one is in battle whatever rig colors you set as default change to red) and certain system features. The customizations are tailored specially for each game and are loaded each time you launch a game. Well, my Alienware Command Center program had become corrupted, so the program would freeze LOTRO because it couldn't properly load. Oddly enough, the problem only happened with LOTRO, not other games. I got an Alienware tech on the line and he walked me through uninstalling and reinstalling a fresh and up-to-date version of the program. I now works like a charm.
    The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.

Yeah I made a thread on this last year about the Alienware software crashing the game: https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...an-it-be-fixed

Had the same problem with a new character recently which had LFX Usage turned on by default, so I had to uninstall the program (again) and turn off that option before I could load the character. Still wondering how many people must be affected by this... Maybe just having LFX Usage turned OFF by default might be a decent idea?

Exclamation

Thank to Gods that I found this post! Because I've been having the same problem for a couple of weeks now. Apparently Alienware hasn't fixed the issue.
    I uninstalled the Alienware Command Center, rebooted and problem was resolved!

Quote Originally Posted by Morat View Post
    I'll double post this as I had made the same comments in a couple of threads.

I finally figured out what the problem was, and since it was none of the issues anyone has raised here or in any other threads I thought I would explain what it was on the off-chance someone else had my specific problem.

I have an Alienware system (made by Dell). There is a Dell program that comes with it called Alienware Command Center that allows you to customize the colors of the lights in play (for instance, whenever one is in battle whatever rig colors you set as default change to red) and certain system features. The customizations are tailored specially for each game and are loaded each time you launch a game. Well, my Alienware Command Center program had become corrupted, so the program would freeze LOTRO because it couldn't properly load. Oddly enough, the problem only happened with LOTRO, not other games. I got an Alienware tech on the line and he walked me through uninstalling and reinstalling a fresh and up-to-date version of the program. I now works like a charm.