We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Immersive HUD for a 'Storymode'

Hi,

since i'm playing a lot of quest content i would love to see a toggleable function that would hide the status bars, minimap, even questlog(?) in some scenarios.

In other words: hiding the complete HUD with pressing "F12" but preserving the Dialogboxes for the NPC's Traders etc.

I was actually just thinking about that last night. As I was questing through Moria, I had the interface turned off so that I could fully immerse myself without distractions. The game truly is beautiful in many areas without the UI in the way. I also enjoyed the challenge of not having the radar. However, I had to turn it back on every time I had to talk to someone, which was kind of a bummer. You also can't turn it off during cinematics like the watcher attack when you're first going into Moria (which totally ruins screenshots imo).
    Belegwen - Silverlode/Gladden
    Silivren - Meneldor/Gladden
    Elistriell - Vilya/Gladden/Anor

Quote Originally Posted by KongoOtto View Post
    In other words: hiding the complete HUD with pressing "F12" but preserving the Dialogboxes for the NPC's, Traders etc.
    I'd like to add something:

besides the dialogboxes there could also be a toggle for the General chat to see the complete dialog of the NPC.

It is my hope they have the toggleable everything in mind when working on the UI revamp/4K support - so yeah, able to toggle/untoggle all these different interfaces separately without having to use F12 and getting rid of entire UI functionality, so separate shortcuts for NPC pop up windows, vitals, quest tracker, pop up elements like horsies and progression bars, chat window etc

Would be nice if they let us know whether that's on the table

Quote Originally Posted by KongoOtto View Post
    Hi,

since i'm playing a lot of quest content i would love to see a toggleable function that would hide the status bars, minimap, even questlog(?) in some scenarios.

In other words: hiding the complete HUD with pressing "F12" but preserving the Dialogboxes for the NPC's Traders etc.
    Perhaps something added to the advanced graphics section , An assignable short cut that would pull down the Ui that controls our screens with check boxes assigned to each item
    You just have to check which item(s) you want to see on your screen i.e like the mini radar or dialogue box .
    Set it and forget it , completely tailorable to user preference .

When I stream LOTRO, I capture a portion of the screen, cutting out my hotkeys and so on, and only show my local and fellow chat.
    This helps my stream read along with my comments to my friends in local chat.

I think a toggle on/off for some items might really be nice for certain things. I know we have a lof of control with ctrl / and also /ui save *** /ui load *** but some toggles like this might be nice.

I do not know lua script for plugins, but, it is possible this could be achieved with a plugin. I know some plugins will show even when you f12.

more control is always good!

Completely in support for a more immersive HUD/UI. LOTRO looks so much better without the UI but unfortunately cannot be played completely without it. I've waited for years now and will continue dreaming! :3

My Toggle UI Display button is Ctrl+Alt for easier pressing ('cause F12 either requires me to take a hand off WASD or the mouse to press it and/or some 'aiming' for the F12 button), but having to toggle it off and on manually gets annoying.

Wishlist:

- I'd like the ability to toggle my vitals display on/off without a plugin.

- I'd like the ability to toggle chat on/off separately.

- I'd like the ability to toggle the main bar on/off separately.

^ All ideally with customizable hotkeys.

- I'd also like the ability to toggle the quest tracker with a hotkey.

- Auto-hide feature for most, if not all, UI elements.
    -- Auto-hide feature for vitals display for when you enter or leave combat. (Palantir plugin has this feature for their custom vitals display but not for the default vitals display. It can toggle the vitals display but only manually.)
    --- Same for the main bar in and out of combat.

I know that all these aren't so easy to implement but I can't help but feel that some of these would be incredibly easy to implement. I'll take an experimental iteration. It doesn't have to be fully official yet. Just mention that it's experimental in the options and we're good.

While we're at it:

- First-person view with arms/limbs visible.
    -- Not sure if it's possible to trick the camera so that when it zooms in, it doesn't zoom all the way in that your limbs are still visible.
    --- If it's possible for the game to hide just the head in first-person mode, I bet some players will take it. Label it as experimental. Boom. A pseudo-first-person mode.

- Right-click hold camera control but toggleable with a button.
    -- It's already kinda possible with the left-click hold camera control but you need to hold down the button.
    --- Make it happen. Label it as experimental if necessary. Boom. A pseudo-action RPG mode.

I may be sounding too optimistic but I just really want some of these things, man. xD Someday.

- - -

You can already toggle the radar/minimap with a button, by the way.
    Been playing LOTRO on and off since 4/16/2013! | - Landroval, Laurelin -

*'Deceiver' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ0RwCzh_xI - a LOTRO fan trailer I made, with voice acting attempt

Quote Originally Posted by Ethuilir View Post
    Completely in support for a more immersive HUD/UI. LOTRO looks so much better without the UI but unfortunately cannot be played completely without it. I've waited for years now and will continue dreaming! :3

I know that all these aren't so easy to implement but I can't help but feel that some of these would be incredibly easy to implement. I'll take an experimental iteration. It doesn't have to be fully official yet. Just mention that it's experimental in the options and we're good.
    They're working on the 4K UI - which means lots of UI changes under the hood - so I REALLY REALLY hope that includes the separately toggleable on/off parts of the UI. Seriously, it must.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethuilir View Post
    While we're at it:

- First-person view with arms/limbs visible.
    I've recently tried LOTRO on a gamepad with the UI off using the basic first person - and graphic improvements with a bit nicer illumination because without it pretty much sucks and isn't the same - and it looks gorgeous, more like Skyrim than LOTRO (in a way, although that's of course a hyperbole). What I'm trying to tell is that standing next to NPC makes the graphics and the world feel like something like an Elder Scrolls or some other games of that type - and in terms of looks even better than something like modded Morrowind with modern graphic improvements. With some work put into lots of such key areas with improvements that matter and contribute to that 'modernized' feel.. this game could become so much more appealing both to veterans and new crowd of players and then you'll most likely start seeing more exposure on YouTube or elsewhere with playthroughs in first person with people excited and in awe with the content (that they would otherwise hardly notice or quit playing after like 1 minute). But yeah, with arms and limbs would make it even better I agree, although that's lower on the list of priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by TesalionLortus View Post
    But yeah, with arms and limbs would make it even better I agree, although that's lower on the list of priorities.
    ~ Take the player, not the class ~