We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

If logging out or closing the games takes ages, try this weird trick

Clickbaiiit! Did you really fell for it?

Naaa, seriously, I learned a trick that works for me and a few kinnies who use windows 10. Right click the shortcut to the LotroLauncher and select "Properties". (If you don't have a shortcut, create one.) Click the Compatibility tab and set compatibility mode to Windows 8.

For me, this cuts down the time the game needs to close or log out a character from ~2 minutes to under ten seconds.

I tried this suggestion and it did indeed speed up logging out. However, that long pause I used to have when logging out now appeared when I died in an instance or tried exiting the instance. Just long freezes. So I switched it back. I'll test it again later in case there were other factors causing the pauses.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorikon View Post
    Clickbaiiit! Did you really fell for it?

Naaa, seriously, I learned a trick that works for me and a few kinnies who use windows 10. Right click the shortcut to the LotroLauncher and select "Properties". (If you don't have a shortcut, create one.) Click the Compatibility tab and set compatibility mode to Windows 8.

For me, this cuts down the time the game needs to close or log out a character from ~2 minutes to under ten seconds.

quit the game.

then CTRL+ALT+DELETE and end task for lotroclient64.exe

it takes even less than 10 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Loochaldo View Post
    quit the game.

then CTRL+ALT+DELETE and end task for lotroclient64.exe

it takes even less than 10 seconds
    That's what I used to do. Might be a bit faster when exiting the game, but doesn't do anything regarding logging times.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLotroFan
    However, that long pause I used to have when logging out now appeared when I died in an instance or tried exiting the instance.
    Didn't play instances yesterday, except a few missions. Will try today. Of course, the setting might affect people differently, depending on OS version (32/64 Bit), drivers and whatsnot.

How extremely sad is it that players have to find a way to crash their client fast because SSG can't figure out how to improve memory leaks / dumps for logging out, swapping, logging off.

1. Open notepad
    2. Write
    Code:
    taskkill /f /im lotroclient64.exe
    3. Save to desktop
    4. Change extension to .bat on it

When quitting game run that file. Note not to put 64 in executable name if you use 32bit client.

I tried this also and Yes it does work on speeding up exiting from the game. SSG Get your engineers working on Why Win 10 takes 2 minutes to exit the game when in "Compatibility mode Win 8." Takes 10 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by farmhand99 View Post
    I tried this also and Yes it does work on speeding up exiting from the game. SSG Get your engineers working on Why Win 10 takes 2 minutes to exit the game when in "Compatibility mode Win 8." Takes 10 seconds.
    Win 7 user reporting. Without manual process termination it takes around 20 seconds for lotroclient process to end after desktop shows up on exiting game. During which i spot a suspiciously high CPU usage, ~3x above what it takes by idle afking in game

I've never experienced this issue. Once every couple of days when I log out a character the 10-second countdown completes and the logout doesn't occur but other than that, no issues. And I'm pretty sure those little failures can be chalked up to server traffic or even something on my end like accidentally moving the character which aborts the logout. If everyone isn't having this problem, is the problem really the fault of SSG? Could it be something about the way you have your specific computer configured?

Have those of you experiencing this problem filed a technical support ticket or posted about the issue in the Windows PC Technical Support forum? If you do, provide specifics about your system including your OS version, whether or not you have all recommended updates installed, and anything else that might be important (such as if you play the game over a VPN or run some third-party background task while you play). With enough reports it might be possible to replicate the problem and come up with a fix, or at least track down the cause and come up with some workaround better than the equivalent of control-alt-delete.

Pull the power cord out.. Instantly logs you off

"Dont cry - I'll pop a token for you!"
    elen sila lumenn omentielvo

I have this problem too. Haven't logged in yet to see if the trick works.

I assumed it was because my good computer died and I had to switch to this old laptop.

But switching between characters takes about 1 minute (I noticed it first during Farmer's Fair when I couldn't change characters in time for the next mushroom hunt)
    Then after logging off it takes the game about 2 minutes to close completely.

I used Windows Resource Monitor to see what the heck it is doing for 2+ minutes and it is reading C:\pagefile.sys the whole time.
    After it finishes paging everything in, it then writes out any PluginData.

So if you are force-quitting it and using AltInventory (for example), it is probably not recording any of your changes.

Not sure why it would need to page everything in before quitting...

When i close the game ingame and Alt-Tabbing out. The whole system is stuck for 10-20 seconds.

So i usually tab out and close the program from the outside with the taskbar, so it closes in the backgrund not affecting the mouse and foreground application.

Quote Originally Posted by beorf View Post
    I used Windows Resource Monitor to see what the heck it is doing for 2+ minutes and it is reading C:\pagefile.sys the whole time.
    After it finishes paging everything in, it then writes out any PluginData.

So if you are force-quitting it and using AltInventory (for example), it is probably not recording any of your changes.

Not sure why it would need to page everything in before quitting...
    That’s a very useful report, beorf. Would you be willing to run a few log in/log out tests with all your plugins enabled and then a few more with all your plugins disabled? If this issue occurs only with your plugins enabled, we can then track down which plugin is the cause of the problem and report it to that plugin’s author. If the issue occurs with plugins disabled the fault lies elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorikon View Post
    Didn't play instances yesterday, except a few missions. Will try today. Of course, the setting might affect people differently, depending on OS version (32/64 Bit), drivers and whatsnot.
    There are still people playing LOTRO on W10 32bit? O.o
    The Champion of Eriador, Man-at-Arms Melvargil Eaglewing, Lord of the Ashen Wastes.

Geek Pub, Evernight

16. Nov 01 2021, 03:29 AM
    Reason
    wrong thread