We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

@Scenario Why are there invisible walls on the path to the AH roof?

the invisible walls now prohibit movement to the AH roof jump, why was this made? it was harming literally nobody and was a fun get-together spot for messing around.

i genuinely fail to realize some decisions ...

could simply mean that the dev who's been allowing players to enjoy Bree roofs for 14 years stopped working on the game.

or SSG is just sick and tired of the Merry Poppins cosplay.

Another person probably kept roof-hopping until they reached a point outside saved coordinates and then glitched so they perma-lost their character. It's really sad when that happens. The might have finally decided roof-walking is not worth the occasional perma-lost character. Not everyone knows the risks.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHKNYGHT View Post
    Another person probably kept roof-hopping until they reached a point outside saved coordinates and then glitched so they perma-lost their character. It's really sad when that happens. The might have finally decided roof-walking is not worth the occasional perma-lost character. Not everyone knows the risks.
    That doesn't happen. It's not a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurallor View Post
    That doesn't happen. It's not a thing.
    i have literally never heard of an "unrecovarable" character that happened this way

hey wait how does anyone know what lies beyond on the other side of the invisible wall?

Wait, that doesn't happen and is not a thing--but only to those this thing does not happen to!

Every perma-derezzed character is absorbed into the master control unit and their bits freed within the Matrix. We would never know their direct thoughts, because every time we make an alternate, we use some of the martyers from Bree that lost the fight for the Free 2 Play Users when they they accidentally ran afoul of the boundaries...

Worst of all, it happens when no one sees or is looking. They're just GONE. Even our memories of them are rewritten. I don't even know what I am talking about, so consider that as proof.

*this post is not factual

LOTRO Community Manager Rick "Sapience" Heaton was asked why they stop it and his answer was that you can end up in a place where you cannot port out or be brought out by a GM since the coordinates do not exist in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jpark84 View Post
    LOTRO Community Manager Rick "Sapience" Heaton was asked why they stop it and his answer was that you can end up in a place where you cannot port out or be brought out by a GM since the coordinates do not exist in the game.
    Hence the confusion. That doesn't mean your character is lost forever. It just means you're probably going to have to submit a trouble ticket and wait weeks for it to be fixed by directly editing the character data.

I never heard of them directly editing the character data to recover one of these characters. Doesn't mean it never happened, but I never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jpark84 View Post
    I never heard of them directly editing the character data to recover one of these characters. Doesn't mean it never happened, but I never heard of it.
    Nothing like that ever happened, if you fall under the terrain you will be ported back to your starting area, if you get stuck in any kind you can use /stuck and if the server can't handle your location then you just get kicked to the character menu and you can log in like normal because the server saves the last position you were standing on. All of those things happened to me before because I like messing around with the games borders

Quote Originally Posted by Thormund View Post
    Nothing like that ever happened, if you fall under the terrain you will be ported back to your starting area, if you get stuck in any kind you can use /stuck and if the server can't handle your location then you just get kicked to the character menu and you can log in like normal because the server saves the last position you were standing on. All of those things happened to me before because I like messing around with the games borders
    They probably implemented these failsafes because they got tired of wasting their time manually recovering characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Thormund View Post
    /stuck doesn't always work. A long time ago I took a shortcut down a cliff in Evendim, I thought I'd be safe since I could slide all the way down, but it was apparently a place I shouldn't have been on since my character started to slide-jump in a forever loop so he couldn't reach the bottom of the cliff. He continuously slid down and bounced up and since he was moving non-stop I couldn't teleport out. /stuck didn't work either. It took me a long time but I finally managed to wiggle him out of the "loop" into a new one right next to it, and then wiggle him out of that one too, etc etc, and then finally got out of it completely and managed to get down properly. I remember being quite worried at the time
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

In the end, there should be *no* place at any coordinate that causes unrecoverable character loss.
    There should also be no movement that interrupts /stuck and similar.

Why? Simply because errors occur. I once fell through the floor and had a look at the daisies from underground. They became smaller and smaller, until there was a variable overrun and I was *above* the daisies again. Far above.
    Or I fell ended up in several strange places, looking for chests in Mordor. Or somewhere else.
    So unless SSG can guarantee an error-free landscape, there should better be mechanisms that can recover players from all places and states. Well, I believe these mechanisms are already there.
    But this means that invisible walls are just there because roofs were too populated or because there is a new challenge.

I would say... year and years and year back, when people could get thru a spot in lonelands. Was when "couldn't recover character" stuff started to pop up.

Not something new. They've been telling us for years not to go to far beyond "allow spots"

Never heard of someone "perma" losing character, just having to wait a day or 2 so they could pull a back up.

I had a character take flight. (jumped non-stop after got off a travel horse) and went higher and higher, and explore around bree and lonelands till game crashed. Had contact support to make my character useable again. (older pc don't think I have back ups screens of that)
    Capcom Stalker...
    English is not my 1st Language... So shhhh!

First off, no one has ever, ever lost a character being on a roof in Bree. stuck in a wall? maybe, but not on a roof.

Secondly, the flying bug is epic fun, and I hope everyone gets an opportunity to experience it as I have

Why on earth does someone want to jump on roofs?

Quote Originally Posted by Arabani View Post
    I am batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabani View Post
    Why not? I always found it interesting when a video game allows the player to go of the rails and "interacting" with the enviroment.