We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Romance in LOTR

Romance in LOTR

Hello

What do you think about romance in general in lotro ? Do you see any subject ahead of his time ? What do you see in each relationships ?

Example : https://www.polygon.com/lord-of-the-...tolkien-quotes

Please debate in calm and peace.

Last subject was closed because of troll and haters. So i hope it won't happen for this new thread.

All welcome.

As they say, "art is completed by the viewer" (though i forget who "they" are), and Tolkien himself seemed to want to leave room for interpretation ("The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama." (Letter 131)). So if that's the interpretation that speaks most to you, well, there's not much to be said.

I see a different interpretation, but it's already been stated by smarter people than me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffryl View Post

Last subject was closed because of troll and haters. So i hope it won't happen for this new thread.

Yes it was, if I remember, YOU called anyone that disagreed a homophobic.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...90#post8087090

With that being said, Sam and Frodo were straight, end of story. Frodo wasn't interested in anyone, and Sam was just totally devoted to his master, and he did get married and had kids.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

I seriously hope you were looking in a mirror when you typed that.

Hello

What do you think about romance in general in lotro ? Do you see any subject ahead of his time ? What do you see in each relationships ?

Wow, such general, much subtle.

Coming up next, the erotically charged relationship between Rat and Mole in The Wind in the Willows. Feel a frisson as Rat tempts Mole with his pickled gherkins!

Seriously, if you want to have some real fun reading between the lines, I'd recommend Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. It's not only a classic but there's some real meat on the bone, there as the relationship between the two key male characters is deliciously ambivalent, to put it mildly. But after everything that was said in that last thread there's really nothing to add (and you didn't want to hear it last time anyway) so do leave LOTR alone, because it's vastly unlikely there's any intended queer subtext there whatsoever. It's a mistake to leap on every least hint of close friendship and intimacy between two guys as implying they must be romantically involved.

Hello

All welcome.
    Dude Just give it up already, You aren't going to change anyone's mind about it. Go find a rock to crawl under with your delusions.

Hello

All welcome.

The last thread was closed because you started throwing insults at anyone who didn't agree with your point of view.

And by the way, trying to resurrect a closed thread by simply giving a new title is against the community guidelines, I believe.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    The last thread was closed because you started throwing insults at anyone who didn't agree with your point of view.

And by the way, trying to resurrect a closed thread by simply giving a new title is against the community guidelines, I believe.
    I agree here, the old thread was closed for a reason and this one doesn't need to be around either.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Wow, such general, much subtle.

Coming up next, the erotically charged relationship between Rat and Mole in The Wind in the Willows. Feel a frisson as Rat tempts Mole with his pickled gherkins!

Seriously, if you want to have some real fun reading between the lines, I'd recommend Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. It's not only a classic but there's some real meat on the bone, there as the relationship between the two key male characters is deliciously ambivalent, to put it mildly. But after everything that was said in that last thread there's really nothing to add (and you didn't want to hear it last time anyway) so do leave LOTR alone, because it's vastly unlikely there's any intended queer subtext there whatsoever. It's a mistake to leap on every least hint of close friendship and intimacy between two guys as implying they must be romantically involved.
    Thanks for your advice. I will.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post
    Yes it was, if I remember, YOU called anyone that disagreed a homophobic.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...90#post8087090

With that being said, Sam and Frodo were straight, end of story. Frodo wasn't interested in anyone, and Sam was just totally devoted to his master, and he did get married and had kids.

No i don't tell all don't like are homophobic. I only said it's should be the case for someone from my point of view not in general. Read and understand what you are quoting. The fact is there was much more deleted answer from other persons ( blaming harassment and insult). Mine has not been delete.

Move on instead to be a white knight and trying to derail the subject.

Thanks for your advice. I will.

No i don't tell all don't like are homophobic. I only said it's should be the case for someone from my point of view not in general. Read and understand what you are quoting. The fact is there was much more deleted answer from other persons ( blaming harassment and insult). Mine has not been delete.

Move on instead to be a white knight and trying to derail the subject.
    You provoke people and play the victim.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

Closing this thread as well.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool