We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

TAX - Lotro Market is charging additional TAX

Hello, I am from EU and when I try to buy Gundabad from LOTRO Market, im beeing charged with another TAX on top of regular price. Switching to France or Germany language/region doesnt help - it correctly change price from dolars to euros on the overview, but on the next page its in dolars with another tax - i chose Paypal.

So Collectors edition looks like this - from initial price 70€ its -> 79,99$ + another 16,80$, so market is trying to charge mi with 97,79$ (so is Paypal when i try to proceed).

Commander Liliam - the Warden
    Evernight

Am I only one with this problem?
    There really is a some issue. Last week I made a purchase of collector edition, there was a purchasing overview with correct price (80$) but then came a confirmation email with incorrect price (97$) including tax. I wrote a ticket, still waiting for an answer.

Evernight

Quote Originally Posted by Vilda View Post
    There really is a some issue. Last week I made a purchase of collector edition, there was a purchasing overview with correct price (80$) but then came a confirmation email with incorrect price (97$) including tax. I wrote a ticket, still waiting for an answer.
    Taxes are not something that can be avoided & are determined by the country, not the company. It sucks, i know & i also wish that it was a mistake on price labeling.

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    Taxes are not something that can be avoided & are determined by the country, not the company. It sucks, i know & i also wish that it was a mistake on price labeling.
    '

In the US in my particular State, I was also charged tax on top of the Gundabad purchase. But I expected it, as we're tax for basically everything in my state except for Food and Clothing.

Most likely your ticket would need to be with the payment processor and not SSG, but who knows depending on your local tax laws...

You are not the only player with this problem. It happens from time to time. Unfortunately, it is unclear what the reason is.

Example https://www.lotro.com/de/forums/show...rice&p=8094510

Prices for the European Union are inclusive VAT. In other countries (such as the USA) it may be additional.

At the bottom of the order page, this is also displayed:

GB: † incl. VAT where applicable

FR: † TVA incluse là où elle est applicable

German: † inkl. MwSt

I buy regularly from game shops like Steam, Blizzard, Guild Wars 2, Origin, Path of Exile etc., and never happened that i was charged additional tax. The tax for EU is included in the price.

And btw, out of curiosity - what are the actuall prices for US citizens?

Evernight

I buy regularly from game shops like Steam, Blizzard, Guild Wars 2, Origin, Path of Exile etc., and never happened that i was charged additional tax. The tax for EU is included in the price.

It has nothing to do with SSG, you have to take it up with Xsolla. They run the store.

Standard is showing $39.99 + $2.80 tax

Collectors is showing $79.99 + $0.00 tax

Ultimate is showing $129.99 + $0.00 tax

US indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Dredre999 View Post
    It has nothing to do with SSG, you have to take it up with Xsolla. They run the store.
    It has everything to do with SSG actually - the last time I was charged tax for an expansion, I submitted a ticket and had it refunded in a few days (UK England).

Quote Originally Posted by Dredre999 View Post

Standard is showing $39.99 + $2.80 tax

Collectors is showing $79.99 + $0.00 tax

Ultimate is showing $129.99 + $0.00 tax

US indiana
    To further confuse the question. The indicated tax for Dredre999 is more than the tax I pay when purchasing something online. The tax rate here in Michigan is 6%. Thus, for Michiganders (plural for people living in Michigan), it would be:

Standard: $39.99 + 6% (39.99 + 2.40)
    Collectors: $79.99 + 6% (79.99 + 4.80)
    Ultimate: $129.99 + 6% (129.99 + 7.80)

Now, if I were to go to California and purchase the expansion, I would pay the California tax rate (digital products generally exempt for tax unless a physical item (disk, thumb drive, etc. is also provided)). Since, I purchased online, was in Michigan at the time, I pay the Michigan tax rate, even if I live in another state. You may pay more tax than here in the US, but Europe's way of doing it is so much simpler.
    Ujest - 140 Lore-master, Opun Tia – 107 Warden, Tummi - 105 Captain, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 66 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly – Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

and Star Citizen…

Each state or territory of USA have its own taxes, so depends where the person lives.

Ok, i got another answer, and they insist, that 97 dollars is right price. Its just wrong.

Thodorin is right, if i change language to any European version, like UK

£59.99†

there is:

† incl. VAT where applicable

If I choose to pay in euros i am switched to dollars on next site, and "tax" (additional value) is added without my approval. And there is no second layer of security, while paying with debit card (confirmation via mobile phone app.), and i think this is mandatory in EU, lotro store is just mess. Why i am not to able clearly see what is my final price?

Evernight

I have the same problem. I want to buy in € but in next step i got price in $ and it has another tax. Hope they fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by janka22 View Post
    I have the same problem. I want to buy in € but in next step i got price in $ and it has another tax. Hope they fix it.
    One reason for the change is probably because of some EU regulation changes that came into effect on July 1, 2021. For anyone that wants a high level overview of the new regs:

https://www.shopify.com/blog/eu-vat-changes-2021

The bottom line is its meant to be more simple and there are NO EXCEPTIONS - which means everyone has to charge for the tax based on where the buyer lives. No more free internet lunch
    May the winds of fortune sail you,
    May you sail a gentle sea.
    May it always be the other guy
    Who says, "this drink's on me."

Quote Originally Posted by SavinDwarf View Post
    One reason for the change is probably because of some EU regulation changes that came into effect on July 1, 2021. For anyone that wants a high level overview of the new regs:

https://www.shopify.com/blog/eu-vat-changes-2021

The bottom line is its meant to be more simple and there are NO EXCEPTIONS - which means everyone has to charge for the tax based on where the buyer lives. No more free internet lunch
    it's not about "free internet lunch" but about not paying the VAT twice. 35 EUR version includes VAT for France and Germany. Therefore, taking 35 EUR as a base when calculating VAT for other EU countries means you are charged both VAT taxes which mustn't be the case within EU - customer mustn't pay VAT twice.

VAT in France is 20% while in Poland it's 23%. Therefore price for Poland should be 29,16 EUR (29,16 EUR +20% = 35 EUR in France) +23% = 35,87 EUR. The issue here, also experience by others is that some of EU customers not located in Germany/France are auto switched to USD (despite picking EUR version) and potentially classified as cross-border buyers from US, and in that case the local VAT is charged a top of US price. Which is incorrect when having an offer within EU borders. That's an obvious glitch in the SSG payments provider's system.

Personally, after I was charges VAT twice (in my case it wasn't on checkout and I got charged more from my credit card than I confirmed/had it confirmed in my email order confirmation) I got refunded my payment and expansion cancelled. Obviously I would like to buy it but will do it only when it's fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordan View Post
    it's not about "free internet lunch" but about not paying the VAT twice. 35 EUR version includes VAT for France and Germany. Therefore, taking 35 EUR as a base when calculating VAT for other EU countries means you are charged both VAT taxes which mustn't be the case within EU - customer mustn't pay VAT twice.

VAT in France is 20% while in Poland it's 23%. Therefore price for Poland should be 29,16 EUR (29,16 EUR +20% = 35 EUR in France) +23% = 35,87 EUR. The issue here, also experience by others is that some of EU customers not located in Germany/France are auto switched to USD (despite picking EUR version) and potentially classified as cross-border buyers from US, and in that case the local VAT is charged a top of US price. Which is incorrect when having an offer within EU borders. That's an obvious glitch in the SSG payments provider's system.

Personally, after I was charges VAT twice (in my case it wasn't on checkout and I got charged more from my credit card than I confirmed/had it confirmed in my email order confirmation) I got refunded my payment and expansion cancelled. Obviously I would like to buy it but will do it only when it's fixed.
    Thank you !!
    Finally someone (who can describe it better than me) with this issue; this exactly happened to me aswell.

I sent ticket with this, but after 2 weeks and 4 mails with support, who refuse admit mistake I just gave up. I like the game, i want to give them money, i dont want refund, i just want they fix their sh*t.

Evernight

Has anyone figured out how to buy without an extra tax? Or perhaps received a refund from SSG/Daybreak after paying extra?

Quote Originally Posted by Arishok View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to buy without an extra tax? Or perhaps received a refund from SSG/Daybreak after paying extra?
    they did nothing, fixed nothing ... new addon, same problem, double taxation

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    Just spoof your location. I live in New York state and they always try to charge tax for digital goods, lmao good luck with that.