We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Unknown Error: E_FAIL

Lotro client shows an error after downloading Fate of Gundabad update and won't continue.

Error message is:
    Done applying 0 patch(s). 0 total bytes downloaded
    Unknown Error: E_FAIL

Anyone experiencing the same thing?
    Last edited by ndc; Nov 10 2021 at 06:02 PM.

Same issue

I am getting the same issue Unknown error E_FAIL and HTTP 503 - Service unavailable after the launcher tried about 100 times to get past the error.

Quote Originally Posted by xsile View Post
    I am getting the same issue Unknown error E_FAIL and HTTP 503 - Service unavailable after the launcher tried about 100 times to get past the error.
    Ok. Ran the repair tool and after about a 30 second patch the game says it is playable.

Spoke to soon. When I hit play the launcher closed, reopened started downloading files took 30 minutes and now it is back to unknown error E_Fail. An update error occurred. Just freaking wonderful.
    Now the launcher closed itself and not reopening. Manually reopened launcher and it is now downloading 4775 megs. After downloading the launcher applies forward iterations to 88% and launcher closes itself. open launcher again Unknown Error: E_FAIL. Going to try a complete clean reinstall.
    Last edited by xsile; Nov 28 2021 at 05:50 AM.

Whenever my wife or I have problems updating, we always try a trick that seems to fix the problem:

When starting the game, right-click on the desktop icon and select "Run as Administrator" from the drop-down menu.
    Felandrond - 130 LM, Freawald - 130 Hunter, Felbeorn- 130 Beorning, Felandaborn - 120 Minstrel, Felandadan - 130 Warden, Thrimlidor - 130 Champion, Freadwulf - 130 Captain

Quote Originally Posted by xsile View Post
    You should check the log files in "C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local \The Lord of the Rings Online" folder. There are many log files so look for the one with the latest modified date.

Another thing that I find helpful: restarting the PC sometimes solve the problem.