We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

LotroLauncher.exe error - "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)"

Hello. I'm trying to return to LotRO but I cannot get the launcher to work, so there's no way to play.

I downloaded the installer, which installed the game just fine, but the launcher will not start. Gives the error "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)".

I've installed every version of DirectX, C++, and .net frameworks that I could find. Still nothing.

I'm using Windows 10 Home. Any help would be appreciated.

Update: I downloaded LotRO on Steam and that doesn't work either. No error, I just press Play, a window pops up saying "Preparing to launch Lord of the Rings Online" for half a second, the Play button turns into "Cancel" for half a second, then "Stop" for a second, then back to "Play". Nothing else happens.

Wow!

So after over two hours of trying to figure out what's going on - during which I must have uninstalled and then reinstalled every single permutation of Visual C++, both x86 and x64, from the 2005 versions all the way to the new 2022 redistributables - I finally got the launcher to work.

Bizarrely and counter-intuitively, the solution was to go to an unofficial DLL downloading site (which I saw several posters on the Microsoft forums and Reddit recommend against), download the *32-bit* versions of MSVCP100.DLL and MSVCR100.DLL, and place these 32-bit DLLs in Windows 10's 64-bit DLL folder at C:\Windows\SysWOW64. At first I tried downloading the 64-bit versions of these DLLs and putting them in SysWoW64 - because that actually makes sense - but to no avail. But the 32-bit DLLs, placed in SysWoW64, finally allowed the launcher to start up and I'm now finally able to open the launcher to download the game.

( Links to the download pages - https://www.dll-files.com/msvcp100.dll.html and https://www.dll-files.com/msvcr100.dll.html )

Hope this helps anyone who runs into this issue in the future. I've seen more than a few posts around the internet from folks who had this problem, never found a solution, and apparently have not played LotRO since.

Ran into one last issue - I was unable to launch into the 64-bit client, though the 32-bit client did work. I prefer the performance of the 64-bit client though. The (once again very strange) solution was to download the 64-bit MSVCR.DLL into the C:/Windows/System32 folder, and the 64-bit client is now working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone87 View Post
    Wow!

So after over two hours of trying to figure out what's going on - during which I must have uninstalled and then reinstalled every single permutation of Visual C++, both x86 and x64, from the 2005 versions all the way to the new 2022 redistributables - I finally got the launcher to work.

Bizarrely and counter-intuitively, the solution was to go to an unofficial DLL downloading site (which I saw several posters on the Microsoft forums and Reddit recommend against), download the *32-bit* versions of MSVCP100.DLL and MSVCR100.DLL, and place these 32-bit DLLs in Windows 10's 64-bit DLL folder at C:\Windows\SysWOW64. At first I tried downloading the 64-bit versions of these DLLs and putting them in SysWoW64 - because that actually makes sense - but to no avail. But the 32-bit DLLs, placed in SysWoW64, finally allowed the launcher to start up and I'm now finally able to open the launcher to download the game.

( Links to the download pages - https://www.dll-files.com/msvcp100.dll.html and https://www.dll-files.com/msvcr100.dll.html )

Hope this helps anyone who runs into this issue in the future. I've seen more than a few posts around the internet from folks who had this problem, never found a solution, and apparently have not played LotRO since.
    This post was a godsend. Got a new laptop recently and LOTRO (and DDO) would not open. Exactly as you described, right down to the error messages. Every other site I could find recommended the 64-bit version of the files, but it was only after downloading the 32-bit options above that this worked.