We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Next Lvl Cap Zone

I had hoped to read a hint in the Producer's Letter about future content AFTER Gundabad. Is it just me? We're at a point in the story where both The Black Book of Mordor and Durin's Legacy are wrapped up. Ahead of us are regions hitherto unexplored in Lord of the Rings video games (as far as I know). Where will we go? Is this what Volume V will pursue or are the stories to come part of another, new epic story?

As for where: is the plan to venture into Rhun, where several events during The Black Book pointed?

Or will we venture south into Harad? Perhaps towards Umbar? The Galadriel Mirror quest hinted at jungles for the Brawler but that fizzled out to some garden inside an Angmarim stronghold in Gundabad. Regardless, jungles would be an exciting landscape to see in game!

Maybe our path will take us deeper into Mordor, such as Nurn or Lithlad?

A little light shone on this would be appreciated. The story and zone developers always do a great job so I know I'll be happy with whatever direction we march in. It's all so exciting, venturing into new landscapes, cultures, and (possibly) new kinds of enemies!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwise View Post
    I had hoped to read a hint in the Producer's Letter about future content AFTER Gundabad. Is it just me? We're at a point in the story where both The Black Book of Mordor and Durin's Legacy are wrapped up. Ahead of us are regions hitherto unexplored in Lord of the Rings video games (as far as I know). Where will we go? Is this what Volume V will pursue or are the stories to come part of another, new epic story?

As for where: is the plan to venture into Rhun, where several events during The Black Book pointed?

Or will we venture south into Harad? Perhaps towards Umbar? The Galadriel Mirror quest hinted at jungles for the Brawler but that fizzled out to some garden inside an Angmarim stronghold in Gundabad. Regardless, jungles would be an exciting landscape to see in game!

A little light shone on this would be appreciated. The story and zone developers always do a great job so I know I'll be happy with whatever direction we march in. It's all so exciting, venturing into new landscapes, cultures, and (possibly) new kinds of enemies!
    I'd like to think Update 33 and Yondershire gets us heading towards the Scouring of the Shire and the end of Saruman.
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."

"Everyone draws the moral line of what's acceptable just slightly below what they're actually doing."

"Er gwaetha pawb a phopeth. Ry'n ni yma o hyd."

Quote Originally Posted by Ellemere View Post
    I'd like to think Update 33 and Yondershire gets us heading towards the Scouring of the Shire and the end of Saruman.
    I doubt it does. Most probably it's another interlude.

Scenario is offline The Lord of the Rings Online Team
    The Scouring feels like a South Farthing Affair, and not something we're going to be dipping into quite yet.

The biggest victory, for me, with Yondershire is finally connecting Ered Luin to the rest of the game world after 15 years of it living in its own little pocket dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    The Scouring feels like a South Farthing Affair, and not something we're going to be dipping into quite yet.

The biggest victory, for me, with Yondershire is finally connecting Ered Luin to the rest of the game world after 15 years of it living in its own little pocket dimension.
    Couldn't agree more! I can't wait.. been saving a low level character just to quest there.

/cheer
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

I too am waiting, and do believe, that the Scouring Of The Shire will be the next *big event* since we've just had the Wedding of Aragorn & Arwen. I don't think they're there yet, but I'm hoping with the next year or two. My take (and I could be entirely wrong) is that the next focus of the game will be more hobbit related ultimately leading up to the Scouring, just as the last few years have been more dwarf related. I'd personally love that. But, I guess we'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwise View Post

Yeah- and RE- "The Black Book of Mordor" as "wrapped up": It never came across to me that way. It was a story that basically did several things (SPOILERS for those unfamiliar with Black Book):

A- It "wrapped up" the story of the Mouth of Sauron and the fall of Barad-dur.
    B- It "wrapped up" the story of Minas Morgul, Gothmog, and those elements going back to Volume 1.
    C- It "wrapped up" the tales of Ugrukhor (*but - not - why he was looking for his "bugdatish") and Rukhor (*in the Remmorchant raid).

But then, it "set up" several storylines that were --- not --- completed or "wrapped" up at all in Black Book at all: the hints of further stories in Nurn involving the Nurnhoth; the following Masters of Mordor are still on the loose as they merely vanished or escaped:

1- Lhaereth. She flees following the Bar Nirnaeth instance; she isn't slain, she escapes. Given her role in Black Book, this is a significantly unresolved storyline.
    2- Borangos the Horror. The last we hear of him, he's simply vanished from Talath Urui, but there was this whole business involving him connected to some hidden power in Orodruin itself that isn't further explored; similarly, Urudani Stone-Maiden is still out there and not yet thwarted.
    3- Karazgar. His fate is AWOL following certain events in Vales of Anduin and some hints in some areas of Elderslade. His tale is far from over.
    4- Ayorzen. We know he escapes back into Talath Urui to rejoin his Easterlings, but we have little word of what becomes of him.

So, when we consider that Black Book really only resolves Gothmog, Ugrukhor (*well, except for why his search was important), and Rukhor, and that it set-up Legacy of Durin, especially with Hrimril, I'd look at it as the "middle" volume in a 3-part story involving Mordor, with the first part really being Volume 4 / "The Strength of Sauron," the second part as Black Book, and with a third part that is completely missing.

You're right to mention Rhun, Harad, and Umbar as potential directions. I have a feeling they "left those pieces on the chessboard" sort to speak for a reason.

You know, I just had a really amazing thought: Maybe Scenario and his fellow Devs could place graphical versions of their villains in a BR-only, concealed version of the chess-board in Erebor Housing and bounce ideas off each other, *laughs* It's a delightful mental picture of them moving a Lhaereth NPC around with a Karazgar one with X number of other characters, like: "And then, Karazgar does indeed flee to Rhun, and he sows up troubles in the Fields of Celduin on the way. Meanwhile, Lhaereth still has his knowledge of how to do the Second Great Plague, and she goes to Area TBD in Nurn....."

---

I have to say: I share Scenario's excitement! I'm so looking forward to being able to finally ride from Ered Luin through Eriador without any missing gaps!

I definitely am looking forward to learning more about the next level-cap area too.

Cheers!
    Landroval player; I am Phantion on the forums only and do not have a corresponding character in-game with that name on any server. Cheers! :)

it'd be smart if SSG focuses on making a new expansion related to LotR's mainstream pop culture rather than very specific stuff from the books (without betraying the books),

they will be able to catch more players, which are the ones interested in movies and TV shows.

in contrast to focusing into a minority of very staightful and tight-### players that take the story too serious, like a religious practice.

Oh, that's some awesome news. I have to admit that, while I had seen some changes near Kheledûl and all of that, I was pessimistic about Yondershire being on its own big enough to connect the Shire and Ered Luin, since there was a lot of missing terrain there. As someone who has played this game on and off since Beta, I'm very happy I was wrong, and I'm really looking forward to walking across that seamless transition between the two regions.

Shame no Scouring of the shire yet

Altho it does feel like you were going that way developing backwards recently. I'm still going to believe there is end-game instances planned for the new zones in a kind of "In There Absence Part 2".

Just to confirm, for the first time you can go from Ered Luin all the way to Mordor without loading screens?

I think the "Technically" people will have an interesting debate now. The world map size just grew a chunk because they can't class that as an "Instance".
    Level 140: Burg, Captain, Guard, Brawler, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Champ, Warden, Rune-Keeper, Beorning

I'm very excited to see what direction we are headed because I really have no idea where it might be. Harad, Khand, or Rhun are the most logical choices, but I could see SSG throwing us a curveball. Next likely is probably eastern Mordor/Nurn. The surviving Gurzyul probably are residing there, so we could be going to finish their stories. I don't think we'll see Minhiriath or the Southfarthing until we are heading back to the Shire for the Scouring. I don't think we'll see Forlindon until we head to the Grey Havens. We already had Western Gondor, but that wasn't really Western Gondor, so I suppose it's possible we could head to Anfalas. I would like to see southern Gondor in broad daylight at some point, so maybe they will give us an instanced post-Dawnless Day trek back westward to clean up any remaining threats and return home with the surviving lords of Gondor. We haven't seen Middle-Mirkwood yet, but not really sure what would be taking us there. There was a route north out of the Iron Mountains, but there really isn't much up there on the map. Could be potential for an unique area. We're kinda running out of real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by scifispirit View Post
    I too am waiting, and do believe, that the Scouring Of The Shire will be the next *big event* since we've just had the Wedding of Aragorn & Arwen. I don't think they're there yet, but I'm hoping with the next year or two. My take (and I could be entirely wrong) is that the next focus of the game will be more hobbit related ultimately leading up to the Scouring, just as the last few years have been more dwarf related. I'd personally love that. But, I guess we'll see!
    You're going to be waiting for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by bohbashum View Post
    Shame no Scouring of the shire yet
    Just to confirm, for the first time you can go from Ered Luin all the way to Mordor without loading screens?
    As of update 33, you will be able to run a character from Ered Luin to Mordor, with the only loading screens being the inter-territory teleports (between Eriador-Rhovanion, Rhovanion-Gondor, Gondor-Mordor) provided your character meets the requirements for those teleports, and the character survives the run!

As of update 33, you will be able to run a character from Ered Luin to Mordor, with the only loading screens being the inter-territory teleports (between Eriador-Rhovanion, Rhovanion-Gondor, Gondor-Mordor) provided your character meets the requirements for those teleports, and the character survives the run!
    One for next Christmas then. Just gone I slow walked from Michel Delving to Mordor dressed in the Sara Oakheart costume. Took me just over 6 hours.
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."

"Everyone draws the moral line of what's acceptable just slightly below what they're actually doing."

"Er gwaetha pawb a phopeth. Ry'n ni yma o hyd."

Quote Originally Posted by spaltung View Post

in contrast to focusing into a minority of very staightful and tight-### players that take the story too serious, like a religious practice.

In the 15 years I’ve played LOTRO, I cannot recall anyone hating the players as much as you do. Seriously, you love to insult them any chance you get.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

When I read that all I could think of was an expanded chicken run. Sorry, total tangent there.

it'd be smart if SSG focuses on making a new expansion related to LotR's mainstream pop culture rather than very specific stuff from the books (without betraying the books),

they will be able to catch more players, which are the ones interested in movies and TV shows.
    There's two key points I'd like to make here.

1) Without being a lawyer, nor having seen any 'rights' documents specific to this situation, it's fairly logical to assume that such a cross-pollination is expressly forbidden by whatever rights are being held by whichever affected companies. You don't tend to give other companies permission to use your stuff without them giving you a substantial cut of their profits. I know we can all see the example of Star Trek Online and how they cross-pollinate with Paramount, but this is an apples to oranges situation. If SSG had the rights to dip into nods to the Jackson movies, or heck, even the Rankin/Bass or Bakshi movies without getting sued to oblivion, they would've done it by now. As for Amazon, heh, seems they've been cribbing off of some of SSG's work, with the fandom losing their minds about hobbits or the possibility of one of the Istari making an early 2nd Age appearance. I'm actually chuckling about that, cos we're definitely in a 'been there, played that already!' mode here.

2) ‘There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.’ - This Shakespeare quote is rather apt. I would wonder why it's necessary to basically crib off of someone else's homework. The dev team at SSG prolly has enough ideas for stories for years that go beyond what's printed on the page without doing that. There is room enough on this silly little planet for all kinds of stories about and based in Middle-earth, and I personally find it rather exciting to see yet another form rather than rehashing stuff someone else did 20 years ago.

Your mileage may vary.
    Shhh. Listen. Listen to the sound of suffering. Resolve to relieve it. Lift others up. Be kind.

Arda Shrugged : Elendilmir (RIP) -> Arkenstone -> Anor (RIP) -> Landroval -> Treebeard

So the only non-connected zone will be Southern Mirkwood. Are there any plans to connect it?

Strider5548 is offline Legendary Hunter of Middle-earth
    Original Challenger of Jagger Jack
    Quote Originally Posted by provamail10 View Post
    So the only non-connected zone will be Southern Mirkwood. Are there any plans to connect it?
    I would love to see Southern Mirkwood connected in two ways:

1) Actual boat rides from Lorien to Mirkwood.
    2) Invisible walls to the north taken down with an expansion into Middle Mirkwood.

I think #1 should be part of a larger update that brings boats/ships to all of Middle Earth though, would be amazing to sale from the Cape of Belfalas all the way up to Ered Luin one day.
    Servers: Treebeard | Arkenstone | Landroval
    Classes: Hunter | Champion | Loremaster | Warden | Beorning | Guardian | Captain | Burglar
    Creeps: Warleader | Reaver

Yeah, it all started with a book! Way back in 1937 - the Hobbit. Most people who went to see the movies and are thinking of watching the television series, started - with a book.

You should try reading it. Its a pretty easy read, written for children and still read in schools to this day. That may give you some idea of what the story is all about and ready you for the reading experience of Lord of the Rings and then you may have some idea of what this game is about.

If you feel that this game should be about scantily clad anime figures running around with weapons twice their size, jumping 30 foot in the air, hovering in a crazy death combat pose and landing in some frantic crack the earth style before jumping on their flying unicorn to fly off into the sunset - you're mistaken.

This is Lord of the Rings Online, and it's based . . . . on a book. Just like the movies are based on a book. Granted, the movies stretch lore to suit their audience, and so does this game. I get the feeling that neither stretch it as far as you'd like though.

There is a very good reason for that.

Perhaps you're not that much into reading? There is a massive pool of people that are. Books will always be here, whether you like them or not. They still form the foundation of education. It's where stories live. And as a bonus, you don't lose access to their stories in a powercut. Even some of the greatest stories in movies that didn't start with a book, start with words written on paper based on an idea in someone's head - a story.

You should maybe take a few steps back and stop trying to change time tested things that work. Its a bit like watching the Avatar movie then starting a riot outside the theatre because you think the Na' vi should be yellow, not blue.

It's not your story to change.
    Last edited by Arnenna; Mar 22 2022 at 03:50 AM.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Yeah, it all started with a book! Way back in 1937 - the Hobbit. Most people who went to see the movies and are thinking of watching the television series, started - with a book.

You should try reading it. Its a pretty easy read, written for children and still read in schools to this day. That may give you some idea of what the story is all about and ready you for the reading experience of Lord of the Rings and then you may have some idea of what this game is about.

If you feel that this game should be about scantily clad anime figures running around with weapons twice their size, jumping 30 foot in the air, hovering in a crazy death combat pose and landing in some frantic crack the earth style before jumping on their flying unicorn to fly off into the sunset - you're mistaken.

This is Lord of the Rings Online, and it's based . . . . on a book. Just like the movies are based on a book. Granted, the movies stretch lore to suit their audience, and so does this game. I get the feeling that neither stretch it as far as you'd like though.

There is a very good reason for that.
    Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with this entire post, I had to smile at the above description that you gave that entirely captures the Brawler !! And also proves what an abomination it really is and also shows that the devs aren't innocent when it comes to kowtowing to the WoW cartoon model.
    WHY DO PEOPLE WHO KNOW THE LEAST, KNOW IT THE LOUDEST?

Quote Originally Posted by Strider5548 View Post
    I would love to see Southern Mirkwood connected in two ways:

1) Actual boat rides from Lorien to Mirkwood.
    2) Invisible walls to the north taken down with an expansion into Middle Mirkwood.

I think #1 should be part of a larger update that brings boats/ships to all of Middle Earth though, would be amazing to sale from the Cape of Belfalas all the way up to Ered Luin one day.

I fully agree!

Yes, we've seen how it went with the new Amazon TV series ... rofl

Evil cannot create anything new, they can only corrupt and ruin what good forces have invented or made

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast