We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

There and back again... a developer's tale.

In a cube in an office worked a developer. Not an angular, rigid cube, filled with detritus and linear surfaces, nor yet a barren, spacious cube with nothing in to sit down on or to it; it was a developer-cube, and that means eccentric.
    The developer-cube in question belongs to a developer, who will become a well-known developer in certain circles. He is, like most of his kind, affable, approachable, deeply steeped in the lore of the world in which he makes his way and gives to passions not unlike the players for whom he creates. He is best pleased when staring at the glow of the monitor sipping a hot coffee early in the morning whilst others of his kind are still in bed or late at night when others of his kind have, again, found their way to slumber.

Certainly, this developer is the last person one would expect to see return to the developer-cube some nine years since he went missing; indeed, when the call came in “looking for someone to help continue the journey of The Lord of the Rings Online,” this developer was fervently entrenched elsewhere.

What luck then; that soon after the call all the pieces of a puzzle should happen to fall into their correct places and suddenly the developer finds himself amongst several old faces and new that remind him of those glory years – not so long ago – and entice him with whispers of wondrous adventures yet to come if only he would sit back at the keyboard. What luck then; that fate, fortune, or magic nudged our developer just a smidge in this direction and now after nine years away from his developer-cube he returns in time to enjoy the fifteenth anniversary of the game he helped launch.

Some may remember his moniker, emblazoned and blue etched across developer diaries, the general discussion board, class boards, and most often down in the dirt and filth of the monster play forums. Some may only know him by the fitting homage that stood in the Ettenmoors forever there to be beaten silly as a test for skills against the enemy. If you knew him, you would have an opinion – good or ill.
    But gentle reader if you knew him, you understood that his passion for design was as deep as yours for enjoying the world he helped create. If you did not know him, you would understand that passion as it is sewn into the fabric of the world you inhabit and dwell in even now.

Knowing him or not matters little because after nine years apart from a love that he cherished, he has returned.

Okay, that was a little more flowery than I intended. Still, it is indicative of the truth. I have loved and still love LotRO and I have been graciously accepted back into the fold of the development ranks.

For those wondering to whom this pretentious prose belongs I am Orion. Allan “Orion” Maki, one of the original designers of The Lord of the Rings Online.

I have made my way back home and you will be hearing from me more soonTM.

Quote Originally Posted by SSG_Orion View Post

For those wondering to whom this pretentious prose belongs I am Orion. Allan “Orion” Maki, one of the original designers of The Lord of the Rings Online.

From someone who does remember and still treasures those early days...WELCOME BACK!!

Yes! Welcome Back!
    I hope you will be able to make more fond memories from this time forward! The game needs you!

My main is a hobbit minstrel. Of course I remember you! Welcome back!
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Wow.. welcome back. take a coffee and a pie and .. go to work
    Palantorio Rochalor
    * Frag dich nicht, was deine Sippe für dich tun kann, frag dich was Du für die Sippe tun kannst.. *
    Anführer / Leader : Belegaer - Bewahrer des Lichts
    Deascaith : Belegaer - Notenzauber
    Palwyn / Paldoria : Landroval - Notenzauber
    Rotmund : Sirannon - Notenzauber

Welcome back!
    "Fear not the dark. The light of my blades shall hold it at bay."

-Narangren Tirthallion, Doom-breaker

I joined after you left, but a warm welcome back to you and your passion for the game.

Welcome back!!! o/
    Ex Gilrain, - World First Watcher V1, - Server First Draigoch, - Server only ToO T2C None Burg stack on level.
    Currently Evernight, Prime, - Shelob Wider, - World/Server First or Second for: Abyss, Anvil, Remmo, AD, FoKD, HoA.
    Worlds Only Abyss T2 6 Manned - Minstrel.
    +Celestrata - 'Surprise, it's not a glitch! :D'
    +Celestrata tells you 'You are by far the best mini I've seen out of any server, Congrats on world first!'

I have heard about you a number of times, nice to see some Developers returning to work on LOTRO again, Welcome Back!
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

In a cube in an office worked a developer. Not an angular, rigid cube, filled with detritus and linear surfaces, nor yet a barren, spacious cube with nothing in to sit down on or to it; it was a developer-cube, and that means eccentric.
    The developer-cube in question belongs to a developer, who will become a well-known developer in certain circles. He is, like most of his kind, affable, approachable, deeply steeped in the lore of the world in which he makes his way and gives to passions not unlike the players for whom he creates. He is best pleased when staring at the glow of the monitor sipping a hot coffee early in the morning whilst others of his kind are still in bed or late at night when others of his kind have, again, found their way to slumber.

Certainly, this developer is the last person one would expect to see return to the developer-cube some nine years since he went missing; indeed, when the call came in “looking for someone to help continue the journey of The Lord of the Rings Online,” this developer was fervently entrenched elsewhere.

What luck then; that soon after the call all the pieces of a puzzle should happen to fall into their correct places and suddenly the developer finds himself amongst several old faces and new that remind him of those glory years – not so long ago – and entice him with whispers of wondrous adventures yet to come if only he would sit back at the keyboard. What luck then; that fate, fortune, or magic nudged our developer just a smidge in this direction and now after nine years away from his developer-cube he returns in time to enjoy the fifteenth anniversary of the game he helped launch.

Some may remember his moniker, emblazoned and blue etched across developer diaries, the general discussion board, class boards, and most often down in the dirt and filth of the monster play forums. Some may only know him by the fitting homage that stood in the Ettenmoors forever there to be beaten silly as a test for skills against the enemy. If you knew him, you would have an opinion – good or ill.
    But gentle reader if you knew him, you understood that his passion for design was as deep as yours for enjoying the world he helped create. If you did not know him, you would understand that passion as it is sewn into the fabric of the world you inhabit and dwell in even now.

Knowing him or not matters little because after nine years apart from a love that he cherished, he has returned.

Okay, that was a little more flowery than I intended. Still, it is indicative of the truth. I have loved and still love LotRO and I have been graciously accepted back into the fold of the development ranks.

Very cool. Welcome back!

Just like Moria - you can leave, but you always return!

And since you're one of the original developers, I will thank you and all others for the many, many hours of enjoyment you've given me. Looking forward to new wonders and delights!

Please stop giving me hope.

Best news I've heard since before Gundabad and the new LIs.

Welcome back Orion!!!
    Arequain Belechael, Legate of Celosien, Minas Brethil, Lebennin

Welcome back! I am still fairly new to the game, so missed your first appearances here. Glad you have returned.

You did some of the greatest work in this game Orion, many of us are stoked to see you back. Best 15th anniversary present ever

istvana is offline Legendary forums 1st poster
    It is great to have a developer who can empathize deeply with the beornings that we now have. Oh ...developer's tale not developer's tail. Never mind.

Eldalleth is offline Weatherstock Steward
    Hoarder of the Cookies
    Expert Level Multitasker
    Herder of Cats
    Keeper of the Colors

Thumbs up Welcome Back

Welcome back Orion, its great to see you around again. I'd only been playing a few years when you left but I do remember your posts and dev diaries and look forward to us hearing from you again.
    Eldalleth Altaholic on Gladden and Landroval and Evernight (Formerly of Dwarrowdelf)
    I stream on twitch you can find me on twitch.tv/eldalleth
    I am also a member of the Official Lotro Stream Team twitch.tv/lotrostream :)
    I am a Director on the Lotro-wiki feel free to ask questions or let me know if something is missing.
    Need something Lotro related retweeted player event etc? Tag Lotrofamily on Twitter twitter.com/lotrofamily or me twitter.com/eldalleth
    Moderator of LotRO Community Discord Server and many others https://discord.gg/CQxRf33Wd7

There are still those who remember the name and contributions. Welcome back, Orion! Here's hoping round 2 is fruitful for both you and the community.

As a Waden with a cookie I don't suppose you brought Graalx2 with you?

Curious as to what this implies for PvMP As Orion was one of the original PvMP developers.
    Last edited by Murtanion; Apr 12 2022 at 02:34 PM.
    Hurth, Warden
    Barst, Guardian
    Xiox, Reaver

Probably the best post made on the forums in the last nine years. Welcome back!

...and good luck.

A most warm welcome (back) Orion!

I have very found memories of your work... still remember the (great) work you did on the Minstrel revamp.

Great news for all who love LOTRO!
    Eruhil 140 RK ~ Erusen 140 Mns ~ Erudor 140 LM ~ Eruwe 140 Wdn ~ Eruhallar 140 Brw and many others

Welcome home!
    BLUDBORN
    Twitch Partner and Content Creator

I remember you very well. Your fingerprints in this game helped to make my enjoyment go through the roof many years ago and such as it was,
    also encouraged my Wife to become interested in playing the Minstrel class. Having a developer from the very First Age is no small matter. You are
    a Founder in true meaning of the word. My heart is light today. A new hope and excitement is in the air. Yes, you are much needed and I hope
    your love of this wonderful world of Middle Earth can now continue to enrich your life as well as ours. Welcome back, Old Friend!

hearty Welcome back

sadly i did not know you as i started my middle earth experiance when Mordor was released.
    Hope you have lots of fun and success

but please please please don't let modern SSG force you into rushing half tested content out to prevent the player base from getting bored.

and for the love of Mayk please fix the LAAAAAG

its so bad i have stopped playing my favourite warden class as i can't afford to pay for a new keyboard

but hey no pressure! :P welcome back and have fun getting to know the crew and catching up with old faces <3

Thumbs up

Awesome, welcome back!

I'm hoping you are the type who can appreciate the force multiplier effect of maintaining the plugin system.

Strider5548 is offline Legendary Hunter of Middle-earth
    Original Challenger of Jagger Jack
    Welcome back. SSG seems to be in desperate need of resources, it feels like the last year has been filled with pushing out content/updates that are (mostly) half-baked. I don't know what your specific area of focus will be, but I do hope you get to look at existing systems and help fix a lot of what has been neglected.

UI, PvMP, Class Balance, Game Performance, Itemization (particularly at lower levels), and a whole set of other areas deserve attention before more new content gets thrown out.

Best of luck to you, I remember your name and you have a great reputation across the community, so I am optimistic you will have a great impact (again) on this game we all love.
    Servers: Treebeard | Arkenstone | Landroval
    Classes: Hunter | Champion | Loremaster | Warden | Beorning | Guardian | Captain | Burglar
    Creeps: Warleader | Reaver

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast