We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

End of lotro for Mac users

I have already read all the postings regarding 32 bit launchers … buying Crossover for an annual fee of $ 59 a.s.o. …. Honestly I cannot see why I should do that in addition as it‘s not sure whether that‘s going to work or not … yes I know there is a trial version … but again for what if SSG does not think it worth while to make this game playable for Mac users no matter what operating system they use ??? I am a VIP player and my conclusion is that I will have to end my subscription … too bad

Quote Originally Posted by Girasol2016 View Post
    I have already read all the postings regarding 32 bit launchers … buying Crossover for an annual fee of $ 59 a.s.o. …. Honestly I cannot see why I should do that in addition as it‘s not sure whether that‘s going to work or not … yes I know there is a trial version … but again for what if SSG does not think it worth while to make this game playable for Mac users no matter what operating system they use ??? I am a VIP player and my conclusion is that I will have to end my subscription … too bad
    I thoroughly appreciate everything you said and I have many of the same feelings.

Most games, even big games, do not have a native Mac version or offer support for their Mac-using players who somehow manage to get the game running in an emulator or some version of WINE. So I really do not have a major issue with SSG not supporting Macs. However, they do offer what they call a "Mac Download" right next to their "PC Download" on their download page and on that page there are no mentions of the limitations of that "Mac Download" or the fact that they will not provide any support at all to those who use it. That just doesn't make sense, either they need to provide a fully-functional "Mac Download" that will work with modern versions of MacOS and provide support for their Mac-using players, or they need to drop that download option completely. At the very least, they need to state the system requirements and the lack of support a Mac player needs to expect – and it needs to be done on that download page, not somewhere buried in the "help" system or support documents that a new player won't even know to look for.

The sad thing is that SSG could provide a version of WINE with their "Mac Download" which would be much more functional. They install v4 of WINE which cannot run LOTRO's 64-bit client and has other limitations. The current wine-stable is v7 which can run the 64-bit client and doesn't have most of the other issues of v4. Doing so on their end would be very simple, all they have to do is replace WINE 4 with WINE 7 on their Akamai server. That is literally all they would have to do, they don't even have to update the Python script in the lotroclient.app application. WINE 7 is just as free and open-source as WINE 4, it won't cost them anything. And we're talking literally minutes of someone's time followed by no more than two hours of QA testing all of which can be done by one person.

I recommend that you treat LOTRO like any other game that has no native Mac application (because it doesn't) and no Mac support (because it doesn't have that, either). You can play using free and open-source WINE using instructions I provide here:
    https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...pler-procedure
    Note that using the free/open-source version of WINE, even the latest version, still requires you to be booted into MacOS 10.14 Mojave or earlier.

Alternatively, you can use Crossover. Crossover is basically the "pro" version of WINE and it will allow you to run LOTRO when booted into MacOS 12 Monterey or other post-Mojave versions of MacOS. Crossover is not free but it does have a free two-week free trial so you can be sure it works for you before committing to a purchase. There are almost always discounts available to the Crossover annual subscription, I have never paid $60 and have paid as little as $15. Even once your subscription ends, you still own and can keep using the latest version (and all earlier versions) released during your subscription period, you just don't get free upgrades to new versions until you renew your subscription. I use Crossover nearly every day. Compared to the free and open-source version of WINE, Crossover is very easy to use and far more capable. LOTRO runs perfectly in Crossover (with some extremely minor caveats that no one should worry about).

So it's not the end of LOTRO for Mac users. The end of LOTRO support for Mac users from SSG was 16 April 2019, almost exactly 3 years ago. We're on our own for now, and honestly it's really not a big deal. LOTRO runs better in Crossover (or even free/open-source WINE 7) than it ever did using the old native Mac client. I don't expect even major game studios to offer native Mac clients or Mac support, let alone a small one like SSG.

I hope you'll give Crossover a try or, if you are OK with sticking with MacOS Mojave or earlier, doing the install of the latest wine-stable. Playing on the 64-bit client is so much better than playing on the 32-bit client, especially in the more recently-developed areas of the game which are more graphically demanding or when there are large numbers of other players in the immediate vicinity of your character.

Mhm... It's like buying an xbox game and demanding it to work with a PS. SSG decided to work with Windows OS only (officially) because they think it's the best/cheaper option for almost everyone. Remember SSG is not a big company with a lot of resources available to maintain two/three different clients... they just can't.

You should be getting crossover for less than list price, lots of coupon codes out there. 25% off seems to be the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenske View Post
    Mhm... It's like buying an xbox game and demanding it to work with a PS. SSG decided to work with Windows OS only (officially) because they think it's the best/cheaper option for almost everyone. Remember SSG is not a big company with a lot of resources available to maintain two/three different clients... they just can't.
    The big difference is LOTRO has been Mac Compatible for years, we're not asking for something to work that shouldn't work in a game -- SSG abandoned Mac users, and it's evident with each and every patch where they screw up the launcher that becomes filled with errors I play via Crossover on a laptop, that is on Monterey- it was simple and easy to install (much easier than when I had a Catalina version Mac) My main gaming machine for LOTRO is on Mojave and it's still running natively but I do get several DLL errors that I just need to click through and then I am in-game. I have tried 1 attempt at fixing this issue via a previous post but have not been successful. I work in IT so I get lazy with my own machines and will eventually try again. For a very long time I played LOTRO exclusively on Crossover because for several years there was no Mac client, there is one now and they could at least keep it working. Wow and other large games that offer a Mac client, maintain its health.

The main issue is SSG doesn't have anyone who can support the Mac client so instead of being honest and saying that they are ending Mac support they just ignore the Mac client. I believe it's a relatively easy fix to create the launcher to be 64-bit since the client is, it's just the wine launcher isn't, and that is where the issue comes in.

I think a lot of Mac users are forgetting it was APPLE not implementing something a few years back that stopped LOTRO running on their hardware.. not SSG.

just saying.....

but WINE does seem to work ok.. for now..

¯\_(?)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Smyksvik View Post
    I think a lot of Mac users are forgetting it was APPLE not implementing something a few years back that stopped LOTRO running on their hardware.. not SSG.

just saying.....

but WINE does seem to work ok.. for now..

¯\_(?)_/¯
    What didn't Apple implement?

Hi Folks,

MacOS stopped support for 32Bit binaries.

But: The 64Bit client works fine in wine (linux). So i think it should also work in crossover, which in a wine-based commercial product.

Greetings,
    Joli

Quote Originally Posted by Joliscka View Post
    Hi Folks,

MacOS stopped support for 32Bit binaries.

But: The 64Bit client works fine in wine (linux). So i think it should also work in crossover, which in a wine-based commercial product.

Greetings,
    Joli
    I will verify that. I've been running Crossover for some time now, without issue. I also am able to play other PC games on my Mac. Not a bad deal for $5/month. I do agree with the OP that it's tough to have to purchase another program just to run games, but that's where we are. I waited a long time for LotRO to be available for a Mac, and Steam worked fine for while. I will further note that I got a discount after paying full freight for my first year. Give it a two-week try and see what you think.