We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Constantly getting stuck on the loading screen

This has been occurring all to frequently since the recent influx of new players to the game.

Either getting stuck on the loading screen when transitioning between zones, or when loading a character into the game world.

I wonder if anyone else has been experiencing this as of late, is there is any workaround to remedy this issue.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lenny818 View Post
    This has been occurring all to frequently since the recent influx of new players to the game.

Either getting stuck on the loading screen when transitioning between zones, or when loading a character into the game world.

I wonder if anyone else has been experiencing this as of late, is there is any workaround to remedy this issue.

Thanks!
    Lot of players reporting similar issues especially since the Anniversary event resulting in a lot more than usual trying to get on servers.

I appreciate it is the result of almost too much success in attracting old and new players to the game and can accept it as a temporary thing.

But the way the launcher fails to do anything other than hang the game when trying to log/ relog in is not acceptable. Anything that requires continual force quitting the game to get out of the situation is wrong. At the very least put players in a queue or back out to menu, not this.

Also the fact that many times it simply does not load in housing items is really frustrating when you are trying to do stuff on alts.
    Toodlepip Storpole - Hunter on Laurelin [EU]

Been having the same issue last 3 or 4 days.

Not necessarily advice as I have no idea if this will work with anyone else, but I have taken to avoiding Bree or The Shire when logging out (I have a Belfalas House which seems to work ok).

Loading is a bit sluggish, but has been 100% so far.

As others have noted, this is down to the influx of players, so should settle down soon.

I've been having this problem intermittently for months since I returned to the game after several years away to play on Treebeard. Last month or two it has become much worse and is no longer intermittent. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I now have to ctrl-alt-delete restart 1 to 3 times every time I try to login a character.

In the last few weeks tons of forum threads have been popping up on this problem.
    The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny818 View Post

Thanks!
    Me too! Its kinda annoying when I switch alts. ugh!

Yeah, you chose to ignore our high pop server issues along with SSG for several years and now it a big surprise? Yup soon be back to ignoring the problems of others. If you'd had our back some years ago you may not be seeing these issues now.

We've had to learn every trick to mitigate: game install on an SSD, ideal environment to log out and in successfully, sneaking up on your house after loading into the homestead elsewhere. We've had our gaming goals affected as we tire of skill delays, we tire of "already using that", General error #000000000000000, tire of leaving a node too soon because our muscle memory can't cope with the random delay factor. Even a short night shift to see how it's supposed to behave ain't good for us.

And when we continue to suffer next week, next month and next year you can praise SSG for your return to normality and dig into your pockets once again to reward them.

Quote Originally Posted by DoRonRon View Post
    Yeah, you chose to ignore our high pop server issues along with SSG for several years and now it a big surprise? Yup soon be back to ignoring the problems of others. If you'd had our back some years ago you may not be seeing these issues now.

We've had to learn every trick to mitigate: game install on an SSD, ideal environment to log out and in successfully, sneaking up on your house after loading into the homestead elsewhere. We've had our gaming goals affected as we tire of skill delays, we tire of "already using that", General error #000000000000000, tire of leaving a node too soon because our muscle memory can't cope with the random delay factor. Even a short night shift to see how it's supposed to behave ain't good for us.

And when we continue to suffer next week, next month and next year you can praise SSG for your return to normality and dig into your pockets once again to reward them.
    Unless you know the OP personally or anyone in reply then not sure how you know who ignored what or whom? Maybe if you directed your venting to posts that might assist the lag issue rather than just anything that mentions lag, you might get further forward.

As a long term player on Evernight, I know all about the lag, I also have seen people like yourself losing years off your life complaining for years about it and yet here we are in 2022, and nothing has changed. Note what I have suggested is a workaround or mitigation is it not?

Perhaps some people just have better coping mechanisms than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1973 View Post
    Unless you know the OP personally or anyone in reply then not sure how you know who ignored what or whom? Maybe if you directed your venting to posts that might assist the lag issue rather than just anything that mentions lag, you might get further forward.

As a long term player on Evernight, I know all about the lag, I also have seen people like yourself losing years off your life complaining for years about it and yet here we are in 2022, and nothing has changed. Note what I have suggested is a workaround or mitigation is it not?

Perhaps some people just have better coping mechanisms than others.
    I'm chilled. I didn't quote anyone's post so the implication should be the thread title. Creating a thread when there's already many to pass comment on would suggest less empathy with other players concerns and more for one's own. If Bree and the Shire are your usual stamping ground then you'll be mitigating against much of the later game's additional impact. I've still posted rather a lot on mitigation and the need to adapt to the environment presented.

Would prefer if it was possible to undo the virtualisation and database changes and get back to an EU datacentre. That would need someone to admit it hadn't best served us. But the investors might not like the dip in dividends.

Ok for you new folks a few tweak tips for you:

Firstly, I highly recommend running the game in full-screen windowed mode. Give it a try. It really helps with client stability. This is especially true if you want to tab out and read the wiki.

Secondly, make sure you are running the 64 bit client and hopefully dx11. You may have to download the DirectX package if you system doesn't see this as an option. In fact, you might only see Dx9 as an option which is a clear indication you are missing the DirectX package.

Finally, right click your shortcut on your desktop and set the properties >compatibility mode to Win8. Do not ask me for sure why this cuts down on loading screen times and slow character swaps, it just does. I can only assume leaving it for Win10 ( or 11) causes some extra RAM leakage.

If you try the above, this should reduce your loading screen times

Quote Originally Posted by OldPlayerGator View Post

Firstly, I highly recommend running the game in full-screen windowed mode. Give it a try. It really helps with client stability. This is especially true if you want to tab out and read the wiki.

Secondly, make sure you are running the 64 bit client and hopefully dx11. You may have to download the DirectX package if you system doesn't see this as an option. In fact, you might only see Dx9 as an option which is a clear indication you are missing the DirectX package.

Finally, right click your shortcut on your desktop and set the properties >compatibility mode to Win8. Do not ask me for sure why this cuts down on loading screen times and slow character swaps, it just does. I can only assume leaving it for Win10 ( or 11) causes some extra RAM leakage.

Have to admit I wasn't convinced, however, I can confirm that the compatibility mode setting to Win 8 has improved my character's loading immensely. What used to take a couple of minutes to switch toons, is literally now about 6 seconds. Not sure what this setting might affect elsewhere yet, but for now, it's staying

Ty!

Red face Thank you!!

Many thanks!! I have followed the advice you mentioned and I no longer have problems with the screen loading. Very thankful!! TYVM!!
    Last edited by Lham; May 18 2022 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Icons

cdq1958 is offline Hero Of the Small Folk 2013

That's interesting to me. On my version of Windows 10, the game tells Windows that it is a Windows 7 application. I am going to test this, too. To the extent that this works, I'm guessing it is telling Windows 10 to use certain features it doesn't normally use for a program that tells it that it is a Windows 7 application.

Update: preliminary testing does seem to confirm this for Windows 10.
    Last edited by cdq1958; May 18 2022 at 01:55 PM.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by Morat View Post
    I've been having this problem intermittently for months since I returned to the game after several years away to play on Treebeard. Last month or two it has become much worse and is no longer intermittent. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I now have to ctrl-alt-delete restart 1 to 3 times every time I try to login a character.

In the last few weeks tons of forum threads have been popping up on this problem.
    I'll double post this as I had made the same comments in a couple of threads.

I finally figured out what the problem was, and since it was none of the issues anyone has raised here or in any other threads I thought I would explain what it was on the off-chance someone else had my specific problem.

I have an Alienware system (made by Dell). There is a Dell program that comes with it called Alienware Command Center that allows you to customize the colors of the lights in play (for instance, whenever one is in battle whatever rig colors you set as default change to red) and certain system features. The customizations are tailored specially for each game and are loaded each time you launch a game. Well, my Alienware Command Center program had become corrupted, so the program would freeze LOTRO because it couldn't properly load. Oddly enough, the problem only happened with LOTRO, not other games. I got an Alienware tech on the line and he walked me through uninstalling and reinstalling a fresh and up-to-date version of the program. I now works like a charm.
    The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.