We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can't log in after u33.0.5 patch? Easy fix here.

I understand that many people are having trouble logging in after today's patch, u33.0.5. Many others who are able to log in have found that many of their settings are not as they remember. And some of those folks can't remember what their settings were in order to put them back as they like them. This is happening only to those people who were running the 64-bit client before today's u33.0.5 patch.

Fortunately, there is an easy fix for this:
    1- Be sure LOTRO is not running, neither the LOTRO launcher application nor one of the LOTRO clients.
    2- Go to ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online (My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online if you're on a PC) and look for the following two files:
    UserPreferences.ini
    UserPreferences64.ini.bak
    3- Open both of those files with your favorite text editor.
    4- In UserPreferences.ini, DELETE everything except the sections headed by [Launcher] and [User_X].
    5- In UserPreferences64.ini.bak, COPY everything. Note that UserPreferences64.ini.bak should not include sections headed by [Launcher] or [User_X]. If your UserPreferences64.ini.bak does include those sections, do not include those sections in your COPY action.
    6- In UserPreferences.ini, PASTE everything you just copied. Paste it below the existing [Launcher] and [User_X] sections.
    7- SAVE your changes to UserPreferences.ini then QUIT out of your text editor.

You can now run the LOTRO launcher application and when you get back to the game you should see all your settings as you left them yesterday.

I am posting this in LOTRO General Discussion & Feedback, PC Technical Support, and Mac Technical Support.

Seems to have worked for me, many thanks man

This doesn't work for me as-is. I still have to disable DXVK/VKD3D or the game still doesn't launch. I'm launching under Lutris.
    The solution is fine in other respects.

Quote Originally Posted by BRaymarK View Post
    This doesn't work for me as-is. I still have to disable DXVK/VKD3D or the game still doesn't launch. I'm launching under Lutris.
    I'm sure that LOTRO players running the game under any version of LINUX have special challenges. I won't be at all surprised if some patches require various tweaks or settings to be managed that are not an issue for those running the game on a PC under Windows or on a Mac using Crossover or the latest open-source version of wine-stable. I'm glad you found something that works for your unusual situation.

cdq1958 is offline Hero Of the Small Folk 2013
    Speaking of Vulkan, there are some new (Windows) dlls that were installed. In the x64 folder, I find vk_swiftshader.dll, vulkan-1.dll, and a json file for vk_swiftshader.dll. What's up with that? I wonder if including the new dlls will have an effect on playonlinux or lutris installations. I also wonder if steam on linux will be spared. I have not updated my linux side yet, to check.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    Speaking of Vulkan, there are some new (Windows) dlls that were installed. In the x64 folder, I find vk_swiftshader.dll, vulkan-1.dll, and a json file for vk_swiftshader.dll. What's up with that? I wonder if including the new dlls will have an effect on playonlinux or lutris installations. I also wonder if steam on linux will be spared. I have not updated my linux side yet, to check.
    I tried the editing the userpreferences.ini file and was not successful. I get a hiccup at "Searching for logon server", run through all 20 iterations, then disconnect.
    Interesting enough, I have also been unable to log onto Second Life. Both Lotro and SL running 64bit versions, both stop working this morning. NO clue what Vulkan is.
    I'm running Windows 10, so I'm wondering if these new windows dlls are causing the problems and if there's something I can try other than the userpreferences fix already listed in this thread.

Help!

EDIT: I tried renaming the userpreferences64.ini.bak back to just userpreferences64.ini but again, got the messages 64 bit preferences.ini was being retired and it switched back. I also tried changing the launcher to the 32 bit version of the game, but I am still getting hung up on the "searching for logon server" screen.
    Last edited by Abathyriel; May 25 2022 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abathyriel View Post
    I tried the editing the userpreferences.ini file and was not successful. I get a hiccup at "Searching for logon server", run through all 20 iterations, then disconnect.
    Interesting enough, I have also been unable to log onto Second Life. Both Lotro and SL running 64bit versions, both stop working this morning. NO clue what Vulkan is.
    I'm running Windows 10, so I'm wondering if these new windows dlls are causing the problems and if there's something I can try other than the userpreferences fix already listed in this thread.

Help!

EDIT: I tried renaming the userpreferences64.ini.bak back to just userpreferences64.ini but again, got the messages 64 bit preferences.ini was being retired and it switched back. I also tried changing the launcher to the 32 bit version of the game, but I am still getting hung up on the "searching for logon server" screen.
    Your problem is not related to the issue addressed by the procedure in the OP. If some other game is also presenting you with the same or a similar symptom, and both game servers don’t just happen to be down at the same time, and you made no changes to your system since the last time you successfully logged in to both; your problem is most likely a local network issue. Do this:

1- Shut down your computer and all your network devices. "All your network devices" for most people means your wireless router and your cable modem. You might have more than one device composing your router, be sure you shut them all down. You might have something other than a cable modem (DSL or some other way of getting the wide world of interwebs into your house) – whatever it is, shut it down. If you don't know how to turn something off, unplug it.
    2- Wait 2 minutes. 120 seconds. Just wait with all your stuff turned off.
    3- Turn everything back on/plug everything back in starting with the most "upstream" device and working your way downstream. For most people, that means turning on the cable modem first. After turning on a device, allow it to fully boot before turning on the next device. If you can't tell when a device is fully booted, just turn it on/plug it in and then wait 2 full minutes (120 seconds) before moving to the next device downstream. So for most people: Cable modem, wireless router, then finally computer.

That will reset your connection to your ISP and part of that process should be rebuilding your DNS tables. It solves a myriad of problems and done regularly, about once a month or so, prevents those problems.

I was a little surprised, but this worked for me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    Your problem is not related to the issue addressed by the procedure in the OP. If some other game is also presenting you with the same or a similar symptom, and both game servers don’t just happen to be down at the same time, and you made no changes to your system since the last time you successfully logged in to both; your problem is most likely a local network issue. Do this:

1- Shut down your computer and all your network devices. "All your network devices" for most people means your wireless router and your cable modem. You might have more than one device composing your router, be sure you shut them all down. You might have something other than a cable modem (DSL or some other way of getting the wide world of interwebs into your house) – whatever it is, shut it down. If you don't know how to turn something off, unplug it.
    2- Wait 2 minutes. 120 seconds. Just wait with all your stuff turned off.
    3- Turn everything back on/plug everything back in starting with the most "upstream" device and working your way downstream. For most people, that means turning on the cable modem first. After turning on a device, allow it to fully boot before turning on the next device. If you can't tell when a device is fully booted, just turn it on/plug it in and then wait 2 full minutes (120 seconds) before moving to the next device downstream. So for most people: Cable modem, wireless router, then finally computer.

That will reset your connection to your ISP and part of that process should be rebuilding your DNS tables. It solves a myriad of problems and done regularly, about once a month or so, prevents those problems.
    Or just do an ipconfig /flushdns, if you think your DNS records are stale. The records in question appear to have a TTL (time to live) of 1700 seconds (take a look via ipconfig /displaydns), so it doesn't take long for them to age out of the cache anyway.

I understand that many people are having trouble logging in after today's patch, u33.0.5. Many others who are able to log in have found that many of their settings are not as they remember. And some of those folks can't remember what their settings were in order to put them back as they like them. This is happening only to those people who were running the 64-bit client before today's u33.0.5 patch.

1- Be sure LOTRO is not running, neither the LOTRO launcher application nor one of the LOTRO clients.
    2- Go to ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online (My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online if you're on a PC) and look for the following two files:
    UserPreferences.ini
    UserPreferences64.ini.bak
    3- Open both of those files with your favorite text editor.
    4- In UserPreferences.ini, DELETE everything except the sections headed by [Launcher] and [User_X].
    5- In UserPreferences64.ini.bak, COPY everything. Note that UserPreferences64.ini.bak should not include sections headed by [Launcher] or [User_X]. If your UserPreferences64.ini.bak does include those sections, do not include those sections in your COPY action.
    6- In UserPreferences.ini, PASTE everything you just copied. Paste it below the existing [Launcher] and [User_X] sections.
    7- SAVE your changes to UserPreferences.ini then QUIT out of your text editor.

You can now run the LOTRO launcher application and when you get back to the game you should see all your settings as you left them yesterday.

I am posting this in LOTRO General Discussion & Feedback, PC Technical Support, and Mac Technical Support.
    Worked beautifully! THanks! The new .ini also had be stuck on DX9 with no option to change it. Pasting the only .ini fixed that as well.

I'm sure that LOTRO players running the game under any version of LINUX have special challenges...
    Steam/Proton works perfectly everytime (6.3-x). Never a single hiccup with any patches. Occasionally I find resetting the steam shader cache can improve performance, but that's because all shaders are recompiled as vulkan, and the shaders are updated by SSG->Steam incrementally. Even with video card driver updates everything just works.

Today I had to adjust preferences again. When SSG says "some preferences may be reset", what they probably meant is "you get to keep keybinds". Note to my fellow penguins: the preferences backup is located in your steam library location under Steam/steamapps/compatdata/212500/pfx/drive_c/... (follow path mentioned above)

Quote Originally Posted by egarthur View Post
    Or just do an ipconfig /flushdns, if you think your DNS records are stale. The records in question appear to have a TTL (time to live) of 1700 seconds (take a look via ipconfig /displaydns), so it doesn't take long for them to age out of the cache anyway.
    I find have to reset dns (cloudflare) sometimes just to get the launcher to get past "checking system requirements". Since it sounds like you've been checking this I was wondering if you've noticed the dns answer is changing --like a round robin login ip, or if you always get the same answer ip. Which dns name should I check if I have to troubleshoot this using wireshark?

Worked great for me! Many thanks for the fix.

I had no trouble, but wanted to say Thank You for helping those that did

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    IDK. On my system, whereas there are many vulkan-1* in wine/Lutris folders, there's not any wine/Lutris vk_swiftshader* except in the LOTRO x64 folder. I don't know anything about Vulkan, but from a symmetry point-of-view, I'd kind of have expected the system to have a non-windows equivalent library for vk_swiftshader since there are for other DLLs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirhaen View Post
    I had no trouble, but wanted to say Thank You for helping those that did
    Co-signed.

Quote Originally Posted by egarthur View Post
    Just flushing your computer's cache, or just sending a remote restart command to your router, might help. In many cases, it does not. The full reset procedure I described has a high success rate although of course it is not a panacea. It is also easier for most people to "turn it off then turn it back on" than to fiddle with command lines or other tools which they might have never used before.

You may as well switch the files without an editor. Copying myself:

Can you work with the Windows Explorer and *.ini files? If yes, go to Documents, The Lord of the Rings Online, backup the current UserPreferences.ini or rename it, copy the UserPreferences64.ini.bak, insert it into the same folder, and rename it to UserPreferences.ini

Worked for someone who was struggling to adapt the game to his screen resolution.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Awkward Anomalities Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Elderslade under attack!

Scared people tend to follow the flock, no matter which shepherd it has

Quote Originally Posted by Palentian View Post
    The new .ini also had be stuck on DX9 with no option to change it. Pasting the only .ini fixed that as well.
    I am stuck with DX9 as well, there is no option to change it.

1. How do I enable the option to change it back to DX11? I can not find any relevant setting in the old .ini or the .bak file. I did copy all of the old *64ini as well but...

2. Maybe it doesn't matter as long as the game is running fine but are there any benefits of running DX11 compared to DX9 now so that I should really try to change it back?

I changed it to DX11 before update since game got unstable for me on 64 bit and DX9. I did experience client crashes now and then though after as well. Perhaps it doesn't matter now after update.

Cheers for taking the time to post a solution OP, kudos! I did an easy fix for myself first and renamed the file forcing the game to remake one and it worked after that but just to be sure I did OPs solution after so i don't miss out on some for me "super important" albeit hard detectable setting... =)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/20224000000125acf/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Many thanks! Worked perfectly. Now, back to slaughtering squirrels...
    Bjarrald Stonehewn, The Wandering Bassoonist.
    Oddha Stonehewn, hunter extrodinaire.

Quote Originally Posted by BRaymarK View Post
    Have you run it in terminal to see what errors come out?
    I had an issue similar to this: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/2384 (OpenVR spam in terminal followed by virtual_setup_exception stack overflow)
    Try to run winecfg on your lotro prefix (with dxvk enabled), go to library tab and edit dxgi to "Builtin (Wine)". This worked for me.

The OP worked for me too. Thanks

Thank you, worked perfectly.
    Bothering Goblins since 2007

to the poster

I found your message by endless searching. Indeed, your fix works like a charm. Thank you. And, I mean it. very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    You may as well switch the files without an editor. Copying myself:

Can you work with the Windows Explorer and *.ini files? If yes, go to Documents, The Lord of the Rings Online, backup the current UserPreferences.ini or rename it, copy the UserPreferences64.ini.bak, insert it into the same folder, and rename it to UserPreferences.ini
    Yes, that will work. If renaming the UserPreferences64.ini.bak file to UserPreferences.ini, you will (probably*) not preserve your user name and last-used servers and some other very minor data which most people won't miss or even notice. However, it is better to follow the procedure I describe in the first message here:
    https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...-Easy-fix-here
    That will preserve all of the data that is used by the LOTRO launcher application, you will just be overwriting the data used by the client application.

*Probably instead of definitely because some people created their UserPreferences64.ini files by duplicating their UserPreferences.ini files and in those cases the UserPreferences64.ini.bak file will include that data.

Quote Originally Posted by LzPr View Post
    Have you run it in terminal to see what errors come out?
    I had an issue similar to this: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/2384 (OpenVR spam in terminal followed by virtual_setup_exception stack overflow)
    Try to run winecfg on your lotro prefix (with dxvk enabled), go to library tab and edit dxgi to "Builtin (Wine)". This worked for me.
    It is sufficient for me to set vulkan-1 to BuiltIn, and the game runs with Enable DXVK/VKD3D turned on. When I did this, it is not necessary to add dxgi and set to Builtin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast