We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Humans still killing all that's in the way?

This is probably a really stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. I'd really like to play humans. There is one thing that has been stopping me to do so and that's that they kill accidentally those cute squirrels and foxes that are too near. Is that still the case or has there been some changes to that? I'm too lazy to make new alts for just trying this. Kind of getting bored with playing only elfs and high elfs

That is not race related: cosmetic animals can be targeted in most areas by all races, sadly.

Is it really not race related? At least it says with my high elves that "cannot harm target", same area where my human alt used to kill them.
    Last edited by Sibe; Jul 17 2022 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibe View Post
    Is it really not race related? At least it says with my high elves that "cannot harm target", same area where my human alt used to kill them.
    It is & you're right. Elves and High Elves can't "accidentally" kill critters (the category those small grey 1 morale mobs belong to). The only areas where they can is where there's a hidden deed to kill them (otherwise they'd be lacking access to that deed). So yes, Human still does kill everything within its AoE range.

I can only speak for the races I've played: dwarf, man, elf. They all target the innocents. Beorn has been parked so long I don't remember.
    You don't have to kill them ofc, an extra tap on the tab key fixes things.

you dont even have to target them or be a human, i always feel a pang of regret when a rabbit or innocent npc animal gets blasted with an AoE.

collateral damage

Mortem Tyrannis

I seem to slaughter Deep crickets in Moria on my Elven Hunters....and can you be anymore harmless than a cricket?

I think it's appropriate, humans would hunt (Elves too but that's besides the point). And it's not too hard to just not shoot everything with a pulse, step back a little and consider your target, no?
    AOE is just collateral damage and humans have less grace than Elves I guess, that's how you could play it off at least.
    Men are more industrious and do not always consider the ecosystem of the local woods. That's probably what I'd go with as a justification for them being able to shoot down level 1 animals.
    In fact their AI doesn't even acknowledge Beornings and Elves, they'll even sometimes just stop by those characters for a little, almost as if to say hi. But with Men, they run.

I like the little detail that Elves and Beornings not being able to kill passive level 1 critters. Beornings wouldn't hunt, you can make the loose argument that they can fish (because realistically an adventurer could not just survive on honeycakes, milk and nuts.) But with animals on land they share a bond with and thus do not eat meat.
    Leader of the Mitey Worriers (Laurelin)
    Purveyors of premier meats and vegan substitutes since 26/12/17

Thanks for your answers! Looks like I still need to avoid some races. I just don't wan't to kill anything unless it is necessary. Even though it is only virtual and they are no real things