We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Launcher Freezing-Using PC For First Time in 16 Months

I have been playing LOTRO regularly on a 2-3 year old laptop with no issues (played this morning!). I am running the 64-bit client with no issues. For a number of reasons, I have not been able to use my desktop for over a year, but I turned it on today. After updating Windows 10, my browser, my email program, my video card (GTX 1660), I was ready to play LOTRO. The launcher started fine, and downloaded 16 months worth of updates and new game content. I rebooted, and was excited to play. Launcher starts, hits 44% mark in 5-6 seconds, then freezes. This happened numerous times. I was able to click the drag-down menu, and it looks like it is set for 32-bit, but I am not quick enough to move it to 64-bit. Not sure what to do here, any help is appreciated. Not a complete tech idiot, just can't come up with a solution. Thanks.
    "Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." JG

Quote Originally Posted by Jeradosh View Post
    I have been playing LOTRO regularly on a 2-3 year old laptop with no issues (played this morning!). I am running the 64-bit client with no issues. For a number of reasons, I have not been able to use my desktop for over a year, but I turned it on today. After updating Windows 10, my browser, my email program, my video card (GTX 1660), I was ready to play LOTRO. The launcher started fine, and downloaded 16 months worth of updates and new game content. I rebooted, and was excited to play. Launcher starts, hits 44% mark in 5-6 seconds, then freezes. This happened numerous times. I was able to click the drag-down menu, and it looks like it is set for 32-bit, but I am not quick enough to move it to 64-bit. Not sure what to do here, any help is appreciated. Not a complete tech idiot, just can't come up with a solution. Thanks.
    A
    First guess is that you are experiencing the same issue as described in this thread:
    https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...oading-screen)
    Look at Message #6 where it is suggested that v516.79 of the driver will resolve your issue with LOTRO.

B
    You might want to directly edit your UserPreferences.ini file. You will find it in your *\My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online folder. Look for the line...
    GameClientType=X
    ...where X is the numeral 1, 2, or 3. 1 is the 32-bit client. 2 is a version of the 32-bit client for very old flavors of Windows. 3 is the 64-bit client. Be sure the line is exactly this:
    GameClientType=3

You might also want to set the game to run in Full Screen Windowed mode. You can change it to Full Screen mode later but Full Screen Windowed works around certain problems. To do so, edit the UserPreferences.ini file so that this line is exactly as follows:
    ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed

C
    Some people need to set their graphics driver manually to force their discrete graphics card to run LOTRO. To do so, follow the instructions in Message #14 of this thread:
    https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...ient-on-Win-10
    "So to fix it, what you do is enter your NVIDIA control panel, click "Manage 3D Settings", find in the screen "Select a program to customize" and click "Add" and look for the file "lotroclient64.exe". Add it, and back in the earlier screen find "Select the preferred graphics processor" and choose something like "High-performance NVIDIA processor."

D
    Some people find that setting the game to Windows 7 compatibility mode and setting the game to run as administrator resolves issues like this. Be sure you make these changes for both LotroLauncher.exe and lotroclient64.exe in order to get the best results. You will find LotroLauncher.exe in *\StandingStoneGames\The Lord of the Rings Online. You will find lotroclient64.exe in *\StandingStoneGames\The Lord of the Rings Online\x64.

Thanks for your help. I'll have to try these suggestions. Hopefully, something will work.
    "Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." JG