We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

The next Expansion "Before the Shadow"

The next expansion for Lotro will be named "Before the Shadow".

I'm exited!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/27218000000266a05/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Degelhil View Post

I'm exited!
    New content to start the game, hopefully this is the new end game stuff, skirmish rework, etc etc.

istvana is offline Legendary forums 1st poster
    We all knew there would be an expansion coming up - they happen quite regularly as they are a primary source of revenue.

Too bad this was the big announcement - I was hoping for something that would improve the current game.

Before the shadow - could refer to some tie-in with Rings of Power as that is set before the shadow of Sauron returned to plague Middle Earth in the Third Age.

Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    Before the shadow - could refer to some tie-in with Rings of Power as that is set before the shadow of Sauron returned to plague Middle Earth in the Third Age.
    Or, before the shadow fell on Numenor. A reference to the arrival of Annatar, but before the Rings of Power began to cast their pall.

Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    If that's the case they should make it F2P, because no one is going to pay a dime for a level 1 to 30 area if they're new to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Degelhil View Post

I'm exited!
    Same
    I am happy that are low level too, some nice exciting newbie content will be perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Melank View Post
    If that's the case they should make it F2P, because no one is going to pay a dime for a level 1 to 30 area if they're new to the game.
    If it follows the trend of mini-expansion in the past they would. Which epic history will we get to explore alongside 3rd age versions of major landmarks?

It's not like the original/classic content will disappear if someone new doesn't want to buy it. It sounds like they will though.

The artwork features the Nine so a definite hint is being dropped. Would you put them on boxart where all they do is chase hobbits around the Shire?

Interesting, I am curious on how much it will cost and what will offer.

10. Aug 22 2022, 12:27 PM

Sorry about that, we're working to get the proper German video and visual asset sorted.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbroke View Post
    The artwork features the Nine so a definite hint is being dropped. Would you put them on boxart where all they do is chase hobbits around the Shire?
    I guess raising some dead Cardolans and stuff, but evidently they gotta hurry up towards the Shire (and later deal with Amdir - or was that earlier?) so what else they can do.

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    When they say "mini expansion", I am thinking "we want money".

Is this going to be a purchase just like the War of Three Peaks "mini expansion", or will it be free for VIP?
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I’m not sure why but I’m actually really hyped for this. Let’s go.

Very Cool - I hope we get some new character slots as a part of the expansion options so we can make new toons to go through the area. I'm excited.

It's not like the original/classic content will disappear if someone new doesn't want to buy it. It sounds like they will though.
    Two of the strongest pillars for Lotro (if not the main ones) are Epic Quests and Landscapes.

SSG gives both for free, you can explore any landscape you want and complete any EQ you want without paying anything, which now it makes sense why they failed a couple of times as a business. They give away both of their main attractors.

P2P/sub areas and EQs should be entirely locked for F2P (which means you cannot enter) until you pay for it or sub.

They give both things for free and expect that players will throw money to the screen every time they release a new landscape and EQs that are totally open for F2P. It's a bad business.

If I was at the head of SSG I would made sure that the main attractors for the game are locked for people to sub or pay for it (lp/cash-only) and not open for F2P just because.

cdq1958 is offline Hero Of the Small Folk 2013
    Of course this content will be buy it with money. Expansions are paid at first and only later become available for LP. Quest packs, which are not considered expansions, are unlocked by paid subscriptions or by bought or earned LP. Expect this to cost $20 or more, at least, I expect this.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    When they say "mini expansion", I am thinking "we want money".

Is this going to be a purchase just like the War of Three Peaks "mini expansion", or will it be free for VIP?
    From the announcement page:

special incentives for VIPs as we get closer to its planned pre-purchase availability in late September.

Quote Originally Posted by TesalionLortus View Post
    I guess raising some dead Cardolans and stuff, but evidently they gotta hurry up towards the Shire (and later deal with Amdir - or was that earlier?) so what else they can do.
    That's all you can some up with? This area screams session play flashback. Or some type of flashback. To ignore/skip expanding on the significance of the area to lore is impossible. So what else can they do? I don't want to spoil it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Uroc View Post
    Interesting, I am curious on how much it will cost and what will offer.
    @Cordovan
    Before the Shadow features questing from levels 1 to 32 in addition to four new Books for new characters. Higher level characters will see a new six-person Instance, in addition to a new Skirmish, and a Delving difficulty system that will offer new rewards and challenges!

four new books for new characters, should be doable by an already existing high level character, no matter if it has to do with the prologue only, I think some would like to do it (all four books) with an already existing character, because the standard prologues of Ered-Luin (High-Elves/Elves/Stout-Axe/Dwarf), Shire (Hobbits) and Bree-Land (Mans), with my character I have done all four prologues, of Elves/Dwarves/Hobbits and Mans, so it would be interesting to be able to do all four again, at whatever character level, if that can be arranged.

I'm happy about the new areas and the second way for 1-32.
    Thanks a lot @SSG
    --------------------
    Founder of the kinship "Beschützer des Lichtes" Server Belegaer Beschützer des Lichtes
    Founder of the german newspaper for Lotro and Tolkien Funkenflug

I just want to mention one thing!

If the skirmish and the 6-man instance are only playable if you purchse this expansion, then it's the biggest scam!

If you only pay for the questing part I'm fine with it, because I don't care. However, after I already spend lots of money on the previous "big" expansion and didn't get anything ingame related back that would come close to justify the money I payed, I think it's very very fair for any player to get especially the endgame content "for free" or more or less included in the Gundabad update. Everything else would be a big JOKE!

If I remember correctly, Boromir was introduced in the books as being the guy who was sent to Rivendell by his father Denethor. The steward of Gondor was in the belief that his son would be the future king, because of an ominous dream. On the way, he got his horse killed by an ambush of orcs, so he had to walk for the rest of the voyage, all alone, which is badass. Only to be put into the same group with another seemingly unimportant Dunadan that looked faintly familiar, somewhat ragged in his forest green and brown outfit, and oddly enough was Mithrandir's obvious favourite.

Looks like his bad temper had a reason.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Awkward Anomalities Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Elderslade under attack!

Scared people tend to follow the flock, no matter which shepherd it has

That's all you can some up with? This area screams session play flashback. Or some type of flashback. To ignore/skip expanding on the significance of the area to lore is impossible. So what else can they do? I don't want to spoil it for you.
    Except MoL said no session plays for some time probably. Sure, maybe some storied/memory instance, never said no, but I was referring to what else they can do in the present day storyline, also it will evidently not be some kind of Tales of Yore flashback experience... if it was it would have been a big part of the announcement So I wouldn't count on any super super mega big stuff with the Nazgul or fall of Arnor flashbacks (nor does it make any sense with low level characters or with how in a hurry they are chasing after Frodo - in case of present day storyline).

Quote Originally Posted by TesalionLortus View Post
    Except MoL said no session plays for some time probably. Sure, maybe some storied/memory instance, never said no, but I was referring to what else they can do in the present day storyline, also it will evidently not be some kind of Tales of Yore flashback experience... if it was it would have been a big part of the announcement So I wouldn't count on any super super mega big stuff with the Nazgul or fall of Arnor flashbacks (nor does it make any sense with low level characters or with how in a hurry they are chasing after Frodo - in case of present day storyline).
    Ok fine I think I understand. In many cases the area quests for a region are contrived walls of text for mundane 3rd age events. I think you're getting too ahead in timeline for fall of Arnor though. This area is before the shadow falls on Numenor by hundreds of years, So room for improvement.

Ok fine I think I understand. In many cases the area quests for a region are contrived walls of text for mundane 3rd age events. I think you're getting too ahead in timeline for fall of Arnor though. This area is before the shadow falls on Numenor by hundreds of years, So room for improvement.
    I don't get what you're even talking about right now. It literally says in the announcement it resolves around Boromir's journey towards Rivendell so that's the main premise.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast