We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

CNN: Rings of Power delivers spectacle, lacks dramatic power

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/31/enter...iew/index.html

The series format – episodes will drop weekly after the two-part premiere – also tends to invite some bad habits versus even Jackson’s notoriously long movies, with plodding interludes and a second episode that unfolds on multiple fronts without feeling as if a whole lot is happening, relatively speaking.

[...]

Thus far, Amazon’s formidable loot – enough of an investment to become an inextricable part of the coverage – has been brought to bear in the service of relatively uninspired storytelling, deficient in narrative urgency. The expectations raised by the title thus become something of a double-edged sword, particularly when so much has been made of promoting what a gargantuan effort this promised to be.

As for the epic battle that awaits, “The Rings of Power” might still rise to the occasion. Yet despite those beautiful, sweeping vistas of Middle-earth as the music swells and the camera pans across them, after the initial introduction it’s hard to resist the temptation to say, “Wake me when you get there.”
    The review may only be based on the first two episodes. There *is* a lot of backstory to set up for those not already familiar with Middle-earth and its history.
    Dagoreth (Warden) and Belechannas (Lore-master) of Arkenstone

< No Dorfs >
    Fighting the Dorf menace to Middle Earth since 2008

Quote Originally Posted by LagunaD2 View Post
    The review may only be based on the first two episodes. There *is* a lot of backstory to set up for those not already familiar with Middle-earth and its history.
    While that's true, pacing of your first episode in particular is pretty damn important. As is having compelling characters from the get-go.

Thus far, Amazon's formidable loot -- enough of an investment to become an inextricable part of the coverage -- has been brought to bear in the service of relatively uninspired storytelling, deficient in narrative urgency.

As for the epic battle that awaits, "The Rings of Power" might still rise to the occasion. Yet despite those beautiful, sweeping vistas of Middle-earth as the music swells and the camera pans across them, after the initial introduction it's hard to resist the temptation to say, "Wake me when you get there."

UH OH.

That's on mainstream media... how did that happen? Just two days, can't wait. Some of the sneak peak scenes that got shown were already so cringe you could barely breath. Although I guess the Disa/Durin/Elrond scene showcased they can act at least and the dynamic between the three of them may turn out nicely, but the again... Elrond's delivery at the end of it came of "a bit" ironic... so I dunno.

Found some more decent reviews if someone is interested 1, 2, 3 (though the third one in particular sounds like it's written by someone who only knows of Tolkien's world though the lenses of LOTR but... even this one makes some interesting observations about the weak points).

Overall, some spoilers of cringe stuff and how undecisive the show is on all sides. Style, cinematics, and target audience. Though this is my personal favorite for now:

Galadriel (Morfydd Clark) cartwheels and whirls her enchanted sword before dispatching the giant fiend with a bloodless blow. It's highly stylised, like a Japanese manga cartoon.

An episode later, the healer Bronwyn (Nazanin Boniadi) and her son fight an orc, and this time the violence is as brutal as anything in Game Of Thrones. They stab it, spear it, run it through, hang it and finally saw through its neck with a knife – before Bronwyn, soaked in blood, displays the head as a trophy. Small children and persons of a nervous disposition should not watch.
    LOL.

Episode 1 no blood PJ's Hobbit style except it's manga or some Bolywood acrobatic nonsense.

Episode 2 brutal struggle with orcs like that one time in LOTR with Aragorn vs Lurtz except here it's the whole family stabbing it multiple times and sawing through it's neck in GoTish display of violence and blood.

Wow, indecisive much are they

Also, one of those interviews mentioned characters were so bland they were cheering on the orcs XD Yeah, I expected that might happen...

Quote Originally Posted by TesalionLortus View Post
    Episode 1 no blood PJ's Hobbit style except it's manga or some Bolywood acrobatic nonsense.
    It's like Legolas in the Hobbit movies (other people have remarked on that). Floaty, weightless 'physics, lol' action scenes. A deliberate contrast between Elves and Men, at a guess. (And a terrible idea, since we already know it looks completely unconvincing).

Episode 2 brutal struggle with orcs like that one time in LOTR with Aragorn vs Lurtz except here it's the whole family stabbing it multiple times and sawing through it's neck in GoTish display of violence and blood.
    Certainly makes you wonder who this is meant to be for. See-sawing between being anodyne and ultraviolent will be weird if they make a habit of that.

Also, one of those interviews mentioned characters were so bland they were cheering on the orcs XD Yeah, I expected that might happen...
    Called it, lol (well, I said I'd be cheering on Sauron but until he reveals himself the Orcs will have to do).

That first review has got some serious snark going on. I liked this bit: "...a heavenly light ray pouring out of parting clouds. The latter is almost a Monty Python special effect": I'd already taken to imagining Eru Iluvatar as God from Terry Gilliam's animated interludes in Monty Python so I approve of this message

I'm not going to dwell much on anything from the Daily Mail (ack! retch! yuck!) but anyone who's surprised to see "quasi-religious imagery" and tries to blame it on pop culture doesn't know their Tolkien. And that third review, yeah, reckon they've only seen the LOTR movies and just plain haven't watched much fantasy at all, GoT excepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    That first review has got some serious snark going on. I liked this bit: "...a heavenly light ray pouring out of parting clouds. The latter is almost a Monty Python special effect": I'd already taken to imagining Eru Iluvatar as God from Terry Gilliam's animated interludes in Monty Python so I approve of this message
    Haha, yeah. Not sure if you heard about who that person is but... I can't wait for that 'iconic' 'take a swim' scene... who is supposedly no one else than our Mighty Warrior Galadriel (so smart, so athletic - swim across the ocean it is!). I wasn't really thinking it was going to be THAT nonsensical (just expected it to be very pompous and Hollywood shallow/nothing to do with Tolkien but not UTTER NONSENSE) but the way some of these reviews describe it... maybe they intentionally turned it into a Tolkien parody of sorts, I don't know... sounds more and more like it :P