We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Arkenstone Lag

Arkenstone Lag

I just waited 10 minutes to retrieve 1 item from my vault. That's not hyperbole. I have 4 more to go. Needless to say I've decided to do something else today other than Lotro.

I don't like to throw the word around often, but this is what's called "unplayable".
    Last edited by infinitewhimsy; Sep 06 2022 at 09:30 AM.
    "It is wisdom to recognize necessity, when all other courses have been weighed,
    though as folly it may appear to those who cling to false hope."

Quote Originally Posted by infinitewhimsy View Post
    I just waited 10 minutes to retrieve 1 item from my vault. That's not hyperbole. I have 4 more to go. Needless to say I've decided to do something else today other than Lotro.

I don't like to throw around the word around often, but this is what's called "unplayable".
    Yep, same as last night as reported in this thread - https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...r-is-busy-quot
    Aldowine (Captain), Aldosi (Guardian), Aldoik (Champion), Aldocome (Burglar), Aldobeorn (Bear), Aldomur (RK) - Arkenstone
    Kin Leader, Athelas & Tonic - https://www.athelasandtonic.com/

Yeah, I previously noted on the thread about lag that I almost never experienced any...
    But today I can't even get into my shared storage at all.

This is ridiculous. Completely unacceptable.
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

never known it to be anywhere near this laggy had to force close the game as after an hour i was still trying to travel to my house i couldn't bring the menu up to log out or exit game because i was stuck in travel takes 20mins to get your vault to load then another 20 mins to try get anything out of it if it doesn't error message you
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000025e6a2/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Just want to confirm there are lag walls preventing access to quest areas on Arkenstone. I couldn't get to Tham Varan for the bounty quest in evendim. I rubber banded everytime I got close.
    Dum spiro, spero - Cicero

Would be nice to get some acknowledgment from a blue name that Arkenstone is worse than usual with the lag. World chat is up in arms over it, and kin discords are as well. But alas we don't even know if SSG realizes there is a problem.
    Aldowine (Captain), Aldosi (Guardian), Aldoik (Champion), Aldocome (Burglar), Aldobeorn (Bear), Aldomur (RK) - Arkenstone

I was rubberbanding hard just outside of Dale this morning. I had to give it up and log out.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

To be honest SSG says they are tying to fix the lag issues but all they seem to be doing working around isses and not fixing them, it is by far the number 1 complaint in game with just cause. They can add 5 new low level areas this year alone but, they can't take the time to fix the 64 bit servers they have had for a year,
    the changes they say they are making to fix some of the lag might not even work on the 64 bit servers, seems like a waste of time and effort, get the servers working 1st then make the changes. Anor was taken down to reduce lag and as everyone can see it made no difference. Just tired of the excuses
    would like to see some results sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitewhimsy View Post

I don't like to throw the word around often, but this is what's called "unplayable".
    Returning player here. I've been in the same for about 13 years but took a break a year ago. Just coming back, but the lag is unbelievable. Seriously, "unplayable" was what came to mind. If I get attacked, I'm toast. By the time I take an action, I've been hit so many times, it's pointless. I've always been on Arkenstone, and my kin is here but I have to ask, are the other servers any better? If so, which ones?

I'm not able to turn in missions or travel to personal house.
    My personal house travel skill says kinship data not loaded yet. I have a standard house and I'm not even in a kinship.
    Had to force the game to shut down
    Hopefully things are better soon

they need to implement an emergency rollback and reenable weapon swapping, cause it had the opposite effect. Ever since they disabled weapon swapping to prevent lag the lag has been getting consistently worse to the point that some nights my kin just plays diablo instead.

I haven't seen lag or the inability to log in with the "cleaning up old connection" like this since the launch of Moria years ago. Before re-logging a kinmate did mention he received a tell that his character's name was in violation of the rules, so at least they are on top of that.

Yeah, there have been multiple threads about lag, affecting multiple servers. Issues with fighting npcs, standing still and not moving, etc

I am sure they are seeing all the people complaining here, the radio silence from Cord and others says it all. It is either "We don't care" or we care we just can't do anything about it right now.

This should be a top priority as it is at times making the game unplayable, how long you think subs are going to stick around if this continues?
    Hogrid, Landroval

istvana is offline Legendary forums 1st poster
    I believe they care - of course they do, it is their game and their jobs at risk if the game becomes entirely unplayable and the trend is in that direction.

Silence presumably means they have nothing to say they think we will like.

I sure hope that they have plans to do something and are being quiet because they do not want to risk being wrong when they roll it out. Or maybe because they know many of us won't like the fix though it is getting harder to imagine a cure that is much worse than the disease.

Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    I believe they care - of course they do, it is their game and their jobs at risk if the game becomes entirely unplayable and the trend is in that direction.

Silence presumably means they have nothing to say they think we will like.

I sure hope that they have plans to do something and are being quiet because they do not want to risk being wrong when they roll it out. Or maybe because they know many of us won't like the fix though it is getting harder to imagine a cure that is much worse than the disease.
    Saying we don't know the cause but we're diligently working on it ... and updating daily until there is a resolution ... is a better course of action than their current level of communication.

All the great work the devs do in this game is totally undermined by the lag. New player retention must surely be devastated when players are presented with this kind disgraceful server performance.

If this game is to be successful, identifying the issues and permanently addressing them must be the number one priority. It absolutely MUST be fixed. If I were a new or returning player faced with this kind of abysmal game performance I would logoff and uninstall.

I love this game, I want more people to play it and I want to continue playing it but this lag is killing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by JH15547 View Post
    Saying we don't know the cause but we're diligently working on it ... and updating daily until there is a resolution ... is a better course of action than their current level of communication.
    I like Orion's response to this:

Quote Originally Posted by SSG_Orion View Post
    Again, a weekly story time with Orion is not going to change the game. It's not really going to give you new details unless I can convince some folks otherwise. I'll work on that part or maybe just start pushing some boundaries.
    At least he is offering to answer what questions he can in various avenues of the game. First with pvmp, then housing, and whatever next Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdJedi View Post
    I like Orion's response to this:

At least he is offering to answer what questions he can in various avenues of the game. First with pvmp, then housing, and whatever next Friday.
    I'd also differentiate levels of communication between production issues (e.g. Ark lag being so bad the game is unplayable) and being able to discuss future roadmap items or changes. I don't expect much out of Orion on "what is coming next" like many do, I understand the constraints he, Sev, and others operate under for that kind of thing. It's just the lack of communication when there is an actual, legitimate problem that irks me.

Unhappy

Been playing since BETA. Never, never seen it this bad as on Arkenstone lately. Fall death just from walking then rubber banding backwards is not even remotely acceptable.

At this point SSG needs to actively communicate to the customer base the lag/game performance/whatever you wish to call is a problem that is a priority to correct. It should be a priority over any new changes not related. The customer base has been told many things over the years: weapon swapping, LM pets, currency, etc. as all being the cause and taking those things out of game was supposed to help. Guess what. The lag is still there. I made a comment in another post that maybe SSG needs to shut down missions for a couple of days to see if maybe that is causing some of the problem. I have not met anyone that does not experience issues when interacting with the mission system. Maybe, just a maybe all those solo instances across all of those areas being accessed by a large portion of the player base multiple times within short timeframes might be contributing to the problems we are seeing. I don't believe that is the root problem but it seems that the more missions we get, the more unplayable the rest of the game becomes. Even the dailies at end game are porting people in and out of an instance on a non stop basis. The missions and dailies are currently working on overdrive because everyone is trying to get virtue xp and those are the most reliable methods to get the xp.

SSG, it is past time for you to be actively communicating with the player base and giving regular updates on the status of the server problems. You may also consider holding on other changes until you fix the current problems. Changes and more missions will not be much of anything if no one can play them because of lag or whatever you wish to call the problem. I expect if you add more missions with your new systems, the game will become that much less playable. If the missions and daily instances are part of the problem, maybe it is time to develop something different that does not add to server load and make the game unplayable.

Those in change of this at SSG need to ask themselves this question: Would I actually pay money to a company for the current type of experience this game provides or would I as a customer be asking for things to be fixed?
    Last edited by Neinda; Sep 06 2022 at 05:55 PM.