We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Please make the upcoming graphics updates optional

As the title says. I love the graphics of Lotro and I am extremely worried about plans to "update" them. Whether they are completely new or "improved" to the current standards of the newer areas. I vastly prefer the look of the older areas, though I do really like the new mid-level zones. What I'm trying to say is, please don't change too much or make it optional at the very least. I want to play this game for years to come and the look and feel of the game matter greatly to me.
    "The leaves were long, the grass was green, The hemlock-umbels tall and fair, And in the glade a light was seen Of stars in shadow shimmering.
    Tinuviel was dancing there To music of a pipe unseen, And light of stars was in her hair, And in her raiment glimmering. [...]" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

So... you want to add more lag to the game. Because what you want would require a lot of database power. At least as far as I understand your want anyway.

New Tree option on/off
    New water option on/off

Etc, etc. Each of these would require database space as well as bloat the download, since you would need HD space for two sets of textures.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxmaiden14 View Post
    So... you want to add more lag to the game. Because what you want would require a lot of database power. At least as far as I understand your want anyway.

New Tree option on/off
    New water option on/off

Etc, etc. Each of these would require database space as well as bloat the download, since you would need HD space for two sets of textures.
    I am simply saying that they should be careful implementing these new features. Some who have been part of the community for a long time and have been playing this game for years, might not like it when they drastically change the look of the game. I am a part of this group and it would be a shame if this change causes some to move on from the game.
    "The leaves were long, the grass was green, The hemlock-umbels tall and fair, And in the glade a light was seen Of stars in shadow shimmering.
    Tinuviel was dancing there To music of a pipe unseen, And light of stars was in her hair, And in her raiment glimmering. [...]" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit_bounder View Post
    I am simply saying that they should be careful implementing these new features. Some who have been part of the community for a long time and have been playing this game for years, might not like it when they drastically change the look of the game. I am a part of this group and it would be a shame if this change causes some to move on from the game.
    No one said anything about new engine, so no, they won't change the look drastically and anything they change you'll hardly notice - at worst, something like lighting attenuation which does make a difference but then... well, not really such an obvious difference, and it's far from the lightning you might see in some other games. Or at best - they'll actually improve some of shaders and how textures are rendered and how lightning is distributed/highlighted across the picture and maybe add more clarity and color because the original is still pretty much washed out, could have been better for modern HD displays and the sources of light really need that lovely fiery exposition around them that crates nice, visible, climatic effect at nights/caves. But none of it screams "the game looks different" - just better. For most (or all) people shouldn't be a problem.

The news actually surprised me because it indeed sounds like they might be looking into actually improving the outdated look (and how engine renders the scene) to make it a bit better and nicer for the eyes accustomed to modern 3d environment, especially that they mentioned new lightning. But maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, we shall see. But none of it is something to be concerned, it's all good news.

I got the impression that these were going to be relatively basic changes much like what we've already seen with past updates to the Shire. Things like better textures on rocks, more detail on grasses, and reflection on water, etc. Nothing dramatic that would change the look of the game.

If it's anything like the frills update in 2016 then I welcome it. I think this update was mostly, in my opinion, an improvement to the look of the game. I just hope it won't be anything drastic as you all are saying. I hope the changes they do make are to my liking. This thread is just meant as feedback and a bit of a warning, so they won't overdo it. There's a lot of players who love the current look of the game.
    Last edited by Hobbit_bounder; Sep 19 2022 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit_bounder View Post
    There's a lot of players who love the current look of the game.

That's adventuring in Hyperbole Land...

I sometimes see complaints about the outdated graphics. Like I know the npcs look like they are from a nightmare with their smudgy faces stretched across a 4k screen.

Sev said "overhauls to LOTRO to add more graphic fidelity" He said no 100% overhaul but he thinks "there is a lot of old tech and art that can be raised" I think the old tech is key word here. He talked about better looking characters, additions to how textures are displayed and lightning system. Gotta take it all with a grain of salt (or sea salt :P) but to me it sounds like something more significant and a genuinely good improvement to the look of the game (but not a different look!). He concluded that they're currently working on that "as part of LOTRO's... revamp?" (but not exactly sure if that's the word he used, couldn't hear that part of the stream well)

Scenario mentioned some things in his streams, like new texture shader that lets them quickly create structures covered with snow or frills taking on some of the color of the ground they're on (something that wasn't working well and was scrapped some time ago but maybe could be restored one day). That's pretty nice things too, although hard to tell whether they're part of the revamp Sev talked about or something completely separate.

Either way, I take it with a grain of salt but it does sound very promising.