We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    Elhiril is offline Hero Of the Small Folk 2013

Regarding potential Shire inn updates

I watched Scenario's Casual Stroll yesterday and was happy to hear that the person who brought us the Yondershire inns might want to give the inns in the Shire some updating.

This is much-needed and welcome news, but there is concern on Laurelin (the roleplaying server) that this might mean too many NPCs and things like loop flute players are added to the existing inn spaces, which have been used for weekly roleplaying events for 15 years.

While I appreciate the Yondershire inns, I'll just ask for any updates to the Shire inns to please please please be mindful of long-running roleplay events like Green Dragon Friday if you do get around to updating them one day. The Green Dragon Dragon especially (and the other inns which are used as substitute inns for busier festival times or just to change things up) need to still be usable spaces for events and roleplayers. Even if you just have fewer NPCs on the Laurelin versions of the inns themselves, if that's possible.

More about Green Dragon Friday:

https://laurelinarchives.org/node/9500

Many thanks!

Agreed. As much as I love the Yondershire inns, the npcs need to be reduced by half at least, and the music needs to not loop.

The Yondershire inns are nice but way too crowded. There needs to be fewer people (both inside and outside) and less noise in them. They reminded me of "clubs" vs the "local tavern". Yondershire inns were crowded enough that I just did whatever the quest required and got out of there. There was too much in the way of people and noise level and they were laid out like a maze. The Shire inns on the other hand are welcoming and comfortable and make you want to sit down and relax a bit and enjoy the local gossip. Very different atmospheres between the two locations. The Yondershire inns were my least liked part of the whole area.

Also, remember there are the festival pub crawl drinking quests take place in the original Shire inns. Those would be difficult if you were to make the inn populations like the Yondershire inns. It would be another aspect of the game that just goes away. Shire inns are not broken and I don't see complaints about the number of Hobbits occupying the inns so please don't fix them. They are fine as is.
    Last edited by Elaelin; Oct 08 2022 at 01:01 PM.

I love the Shire Inns, giving them an update would be most welcome, however I do agree that there are too many Hobbit NPCs in the Yondershire Inns and hope that this doesn't carry over to the old Inns, many of us like to Roleplay and as shown above and done so for 14 years now, that how old the Green Dragon Friday event is and been going on continually every single week since and it would kinda ruin the event if too many NPCs took over.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

I concur with the general theme of this thread. Some of the Inns may need a new coat of paint. The Floating Log could perhaps have its repairs fixed by now, but the old saying is true here, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

After a week of puttering around in the Pigeon coop getting my birds ready for the Bird Show at the Farmer's Faire, there is nothing finer then to enjoy a few glasses of 1404, a fine meal and lively entertainment at the Green Dragon Inn. If you keep your ears open you might even overhear some of the latest gossip.

Well. . . they are empty ghost taverns for the rest of us who aren't on Laurelin.

Balance in all things, folks The Green Dragon looks too cartoony on the textures . . . quite a number of the original Shire taverns do. The Yondershire ones at least feel more real. I would like them to look at least somewhat more populated - though not over-crowded. The Yondershire ones could use some of their crowds thinned out at least somewhat . . . feels like hundreds of Hobbits in what are otherwise small towns. That said, on the converse, I would like to actually believe the folk of Bywater have come over to the Green Dragon for a night of entertainment - same with Hobbiton and the Ivy Bush and so forth. They should have an "emptier stage area" in each for players to gather and run events, I think, while allowing others just passing through to still feel like these are well populated taverns and not "Midnight on the graveyard shift." To each their own, I guess

Cheers!
    Landroval player; I am Phantion on the forums only and do not have a corresponding character in-game with that name on any server. Cheers! :)

Elhiril is offline Hero Of the Small Folk 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantion View Post
    Well. . . they are empty ghost taverns for the rest of us who aren't on Laurelin.

Balance in all things, folks The Green Dragon looks too cartoony on the textures . . . quite a number of the original Shire taverns do. The Yondershire ones at least feel more real. I would like them to look at least somewhat more populated - though not over-crowded. The Yondershire ones could use some of their crowds thinned out at least somewhat . . . feels like hundreds of Hobbits in what are otherwise small towns. That said, on the converse, I would like to actually believe the folk of Bywater have come over to the Green Dragon for a night of entertainment - same with Hobbiton and the Ivy Bush and so forth. They should have an "emptier stage area" in each for players to gather and run events, I think, while allowing others just passing through to still feel like these are well populated taverns and not "Midnight on the graveyard shift." To each their own, I guess

Cheers!
    I’m not disagreeing that the Shire inns do need work and do feel empty, but it’s as you say a balance between keeping roleplayers, quest spaces and event runners in mind and at the same time livening them up a bit and giving them some love.

I think places like the old Inns and Taverns should have an instanced area in the cellar or something appropriate that has no NPC's and just basic furnishings around the edges of the rooms to facilitate RP events and also allow for the main part of the Inns to be revamped.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    I think places like the old Inns and Taverns should have an instanced area in the cellar or something appropriate that has no NPC's and just basic furnishings around the edges of the rooms to facilitate RP events and also allow for the main part of the Inns to be revamped.
    This. Please populate the Shire villages. It's utterly absurd that so few hobbits are around (and really breaks the immersion). If people need a place to RP, that's fine, but let's put it somewhere else.