We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

1st jan 2023 32 bit client deprecation also new launcher time?

Not sure if i'm connecting 2 seperate occasions in my mind. But with the upcoming 32 bit client deprecation on 1-1-2023. Havn't heard much about it since Severlins QA in August. Is this date still the current "live" date? And would this be related to the mentioned new lotro launcher testing and/or launch or is this still a good deal away?

If I was SSG, I don't think I would get rid of the 32bit version anytime soon. They still have lots of issues with the 64bit version and sometimes the 32bit is the only way to get into the game to play. So until the 64bit is as stable as the the 32bit, I wouldn't get rid of it. Plus, this will alienate everyone that still plays with the 32 bit version. It might be 2023 then but still there are people that play LOTRO using 32 bit and when that day comes, their game won't work anymore. And that won't be good. Not everyone can afford to buy a new pc every year or even 3 or 4 years for that matter. Or longer for some. I know it might be a pain to support 32bit and 64bit at the same time, but I don't think with this game ( as old as it is ), it's even close to being time to get rid of the 32bit version. Just my 2-cents.

I would go the opposite, drop 32-bit support as soon as they can. The more they keep it around, the more problems people will have.

If you are not using a 64-bit capable computer already then you really need an upgrade. Not just to play lotro but for everything else.
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK - Quad Core i5 3470 3.20GHz - 8Gb RAM - GTX 660 Ti 2GB (SLI) - Windows 10 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by soltasword View Post
    If I was SSG, I don't think I would get rid of the 32bit version anytime soon. They still have lots of issues with the 64bit version and sometimes the 32bit is the only way to get into the game to play. So until the 64bit is as stable as the the 32bit, I wouldn't get rid of it. Plus, this will alienate everyone that still plays with the 32 bit version. It might be 2023 then but still there are people that play LOTRO using 32 bit and when that day comes, their game won't work anymore. And that won't be good. Not everyone can afford to buy a new pc every year or even 3 or 4 years for that matter. Or longer for some. I know it might be a pain to support 32bit and 64bit at the same time, but I don't think with this game ( as old as it is ), it's even close to being time to get rid of the 32bit version. Just my 2-cents.
    Other games like World of Warcraft no longer runs on 32bit so sooner or later games upgrade and move on, I'm sure there were players running wow who can no longer, and will be same for LOTRO sometime in the future, I believe it was said very minority use 32bit, it sucks but is what it is, time to upgrade for many other stuff besides just lotro.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

I still use 32-bit client because it is more stable, has better performance and less buggy then the 64-bit one. Basically the only downside of 32-bit is that memory issue, which can lead to crashing in high populated or clustered areas like MT or Bree during festivals. It happens to me several times per year, so I'm fine with it.

WoW and Everquest 1/2 no longer have 32-bit clients, but unlike the lotro one, these clients actually increase performance (for instance, I had 30 fps jump in EQ2) and work fine, which is, once again, is not the case for Lotro.

Since most people seem to think it's a question if 32 bit would be going. It is going away. It was stated in U33 patchnotes.

We will begin the process of ending support for the 32-bit versions of the game client for The Lord of the Rings Online on May 18th, 2022. The 32-bit clients will continue to be supported until January 1st, 2023. In the meantime, some features may not work fully on the 32-bit clients. We recommend all players change their settings in the game launch to switch to the 64-bit game client. This is done by pressing the down arrow button at the top of the launcher, then selecting Options.
    https://www.lotro.com/update-notes/l...lease-notes-en

Quote Originally Posted by Arabani View Post
    I still use 32-bit client because it is more stable, has better performance and less buggy then the 64-bit one. Basically the only downside of 32-bit is that memory issue, which can lead to crashing in high populated or clustered areas like MT or Bree during festivals. It happens to me several times per year, so I'm fine with it.

WoW and Everquest 1/2 no longer have 32-bit clients, but unlike the lotro one, these clients actually increase performance (for instance, I had 30 fps jump in EQ2) and work fine, which is, once again, is not the case for Lotro.
    I'd say that says more about your set up than the client, they should have dropped the 32 bit client years ago, total waste of their limited resources.
    Evernight - Walred (Champ), Walmur (RK), Walbert-2 (Cappy)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabani View Post

For me its the opposite, switching to 64bit improved the game on my end and never went back to 32bit, not sure why some have issues with 64bit though when its fine for great many.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

Quote Originally Posted by Once_of_Bree View Post
    I'd say that says more about your set up than the client, they should have dropped the 32 bit client years ago, total waste of their limited resources.
    I'm sort of in the same situation. I've had the same setup for a long time. I mean, it still runs games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey really well. Then people told me that I should make the switch so things run better. I went full-throttle with 64-bit, HD, DirectX11, etc. For about 9 months, I had tons of random issues. A couple times long-range assets didn't load right with square backgrounds. Reflective surfaces wouldn't load at all. One time an entire instance turned purple. I'd randomly crash in the most unusual places. I remember being in a raid sitting around for about 5 minutes and the first skill I used against the boss crashed my client. I could maybe alt tab once or twice before the client closed. Little by little I defaulted back to my original settings. The only time I crash now is porting in or out of Minas Tirith or moving right after loading into the Party Tree at prime time during a festival. It wasn't a big deal to me since I don't care about graphics so much. Things still look nice DirectX9 and High Settings.

But a time always comes when I have to upgrade. I'll just have to see when the change comes.

For people switching from 32-bit client to 64-bit, i would highly advise just doing a full re-download and install of LOTRO. Even deleting all your user folder files. I use revo uninstaller whenever i uninstall anything to remove anything left behind. I have had random issues with lotro over the years where i ended up just deleting and installing fresh, and the issues were gone. Even though my settings were still the same.
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK - Quad Core i5 3470 3.20GHz - 8Gb RAM - GTX 660 Ti 2GB (SLI) - Windows 10 64-bit

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    I have been using the 64 bit client since the day it was launched as a beta, and have never looked back. Not that I see my game executable reach over 3.5 GB or so often, but I have seen it gobble up as much as 6 GB in Minas Tirith.

(Unlike Cities Skylines with 20,000 custom steam workshop assets, which eats up 40+ GB of my 64 GB)

If people do have problems with the 64bit client, I would suggest to look at solving these issues. I cannot imagine anyone still running a 32-bit OS these days. Since 2010 or so, almost all new PC's were sold with 64 bit Windows (7 at the time) running. So that is not likely the issue. I think they said that about 0.1% of players still run a 32bit OS, or something like that on one of the Cordovan streams. Maybe a few Windows XP stragglers?

In any case, I doubt the OS is actually the issue, but I do understand people might have problems. What it is likely is your .ini configuration files, and it might be best to start with a fresh, vanilla config and re-do your favorite settings.

But yeah, 32-bit is on its way out in all respects. Apple has already completely killed it a few years ago, Windows still RUNS 32-bit programs for compatibility with older software, but Windows 11 no longer is delivered in a 32-bit version, and the only reason Windows 10 still had one was because they wanted it to run on a whole range of ultra-cheap tablets for the Indian and Chinese markets. But that too is way, way past obsolete now.

It is also much better for SSG to be able to focus on ONE client instead of TWO, which means engineers can do a wee bit more work on other things.

32-bit is dead. Long live 64-bit!
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.