We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New character customization options coming up?

In December 2021 Cord was hinting at new customization options at character creation / barber shop (Video somewhere in this thread: https://forums.lotro.com/en/forums/s...-at-Barbershop).

I guess this won't be included in Before the Shadow, at least I didn't read something about it, but maybe someone has more recent news? I'm really craving for new options, especially concerning hair colours and beard styles. For example, with the new character models there is actually no working option to get real reddish hair on a human. What looked a bit reddish on the old models now is just bland brown. I also would like to get some way to have pale/greying red hair, like dwarves have. Humans only can slide from brown to blond to grey, which in most cases just looks dirty and bland somehow.

I have to admit that I would go crazy if we could adjust body height and making the avatars really thin, fat or bulky, but realistically this won't happen, so alas, I'll go with more face options then and be happy. With BTS I'll create a new human toon and just hope I can customize him to my liking somewhere in the near future.

Yeah. I remember in the stream of 10/23/21 where they said that they were working on new dwarf barber options. This went on until about December where they simply said to wait on the Producer's Letter to see what they were going to do. A lot of things were pushed out, or delayed, around that point.

The last time customizable options was mentioned that I know of was around the beginning of August: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1553113246. This is what I have in my notes: Customization options are being worked on, but the art team can only work so fast. We do want to work on avatars so that they look better without looking different, starting with humans. We can't just copy one change to all races and we will announce when we are ready (34min, 38min, 45min).

I remember when these first got mentioned some time ago, and they've mentioned them a few times in passing here and there since. I'm kind of at the point now where I don't really expect to see them, at least not anytime in the near future. Maybe in a couple years or so. I just want some decent long hairstyles on my high elf. They throw them on all the NPC high elves in game but still haven't given them to players.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromlin View Post
    In December 2021 Cord was hinting at new customization options at character creation / barber shop (Video somewhere in this thread: https://forums.lotro.com/en/forums/s...-at-Barbershop).

I guess this won't be included in Before the Shadow, at least I didn't read something about it, but maybe someone has more recent news? I'm really craving for new options, especially concerning hair colours and beard styles. For example, with the new character models there is actually no working option to get real reddish hair on a human. What looked a bit reddish on the old models now is just bland brown. I also would like to get some way to have pale/greying red hair, like dwarves have. Humans only can slide from brown to blond to grey, which in most cases just looks dirty and bland somehow.

I have to admit that I would go crazy if we could adjust body height and making the avatars really thin, fat or bulky, but realistically this won't happen, so alas, I'll go with more face options then and be happy. With BTS I'll create a new human toon and just hope I can customize him to my liking somewhere in the near future.
    I think some of the humans do have the red hair option, like humans from Rohan, but yeah, not all of them do.
    Hirenthas/Deminwen on Crickhollow

Quote Originally Posted by blacknazgul13 View Post
    I think some of the humans do have the red hair option, like humans from Rohan, but yeah, not all of them do.
    This is what I was referring to. Rohan and Dale men used to have the option for reddish hair with the old character models. Although it was never as bright red as dwarf hair, it was definitely of a red hue. With the new character models, the same hair colour doesn't look like red anymore at all. It's just a saturated brown. At least it looks like brown on my notebook screen. I just would like to have the freedom of choice as stout axe dwarves have. Get every natural hue with every natural eye colour combined. You could leave yellow and red eyes out for humans of course.
    Last edited by Bromlin; Nov 05 2022 at 03:22 AM.

Honestly, the whole "region" locked hair color and what have you should not exist anymore. According to LOTRO lore, there are no red hair in Gondor, nor blond. They all have dark hair, or Geralt of Rivia white. Probably because of the whole monster killing business.

I guess the artists are too busy doing the overpriced "supporter" packs. They don't want to monetize through LP anymore, probably because all the LTS are sitting on pile of them, and VIP also have lots (I imagine). So they can't really monetize customization like SWTOR does ("hair pack").

Quote Originally Posted by Bromlin View Post
    This is what I was referring to. Rohan and Dale men used to have the option for reddish hair with the old character models. Although it was never as bright red as dwarf hair, it was definitely of a red hue. With the new character models, the same hair colour doesn't look like red anymore at all. It's just a saturated brown. At least it looks like brown on my notebook screen. I just would like to have the freedom of choice as stout axe dwarves have. Get every natural hue with every natural eye colour combined. You could leave yellow and red eyes out for humans of course.
    Huh, my current Rohan girl has hair that looks plenty red, so maybe it's your device?
    Hirenthas/Deminwen on Crickhollow

Quote Originally Posted by blacknazgul13 View Post
    Huh, my current Rohan girl has hair that looks plenty red, so maybe it's your device?
    Colour perception can be a tricky thing. For you this is red, for me it's brown with a very slight hint of red. Try switching to display of old avatars and you'll spot the difference. My toon will be male with a large full beard. The beard is even more brownish than the top hair. Very, very far from natural ginger. And btw the red hue seems to be visible only in bright light, as in your screenshot. The less bright the environment, the more brown is gets.