We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Wizard's Frost

Wizard's Frost

Is Wizard's Frost designed as a starter skill only?

It's so weak I'm convinced I'm just throwing snowballs at the enemy.

Terrible nerf

I only briefly tested it on lower level enemies and it still one-shots them so there's that. I don't know yet if there's a difference in damage between Wizard's Frost and the previous Wizard's Fire.

Wizard's Fire now, if you're in Red line, deals more damage, I'd imagine, because it applies a damage-over-time. Red LMs now will probably only have to use Wizard's Frost to consume the Flanked effect for a morale heal instead of a power restore. I'm assuming Wizard's Frost just visually replaces the old Wizard's Fire for the other two specs, unless it actually deals less damage as you say.
    Been playing LOTRO on and off since 4/16/2013! | - Landroval, Laurelin -

*'Deceiver' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ0RwCzh_xI - a LOTRO fan trailer I made, with voice acting attempt

Quote Originally Posted by Ethuilir View Post
    I only briefly tested it on lower level enemies
    It's barely makes a scratch on a T8 or higher delving. Sometimes not even breaking 1k dmg according to combat logs.

I noticed the new Wizards Frost too when playing my yellow traited LM after the patch. Anecdotal evidence seems to show a significant reduction in damage. Where before in my skill rotation I could count on it to finish off mobs low in morale, now I have to cast it two or three times to achieve the same result. It's only benefit now for me is the flanking heal, and I generally use staff strike when I get a flanking attack, so it's become somewhat useless.

Do LM get Frost in addition to Fire? Then its well, as some Creatures reflect Fire, so you can use the Sideeffects without the Problems you get by using Fire Type Damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Laubgaenger View Post
    Do LM get Frost in addition to Fire? Then its well, as some Creatures reflect Fire, so you can use the Sideeffects without the Problems you get by using Fire Type Damage.
    Red-line gets Frost and Fire. Blue and Yellow get Frost only.

The Wizard's Frost / Fire change is one that no one asked for, and makes things worse in multiple ways:
    - Wizard's Frost does significantly lower damage than Wizard's Fire. So it is a nerf to Blue and Yellow LM's. Wizard's Fire could be used to finish of low morale mobs, Wizard's frost is too weak for that.
    - Wizard's Fire now gives a Power restore from Flanked effect. Power Restore is VERY rarely needed. If you play Red line and want a Morale restore from time to time, you have to fiddle with TWO skills now.
    - Wizard's Fire was used by yellow LM's to quickly activate secondary debuffs from Fire-lore / Frost-lore (Warm Up / Turn up the Heat). We need to use Burning Embers or Sticky Gourd now, which takes significantly longer.

The only positive change is the DoT for Red line. So dear devs...please scrap these changes, except maybe giving Red line the DoT as a passive. Everything else isn't needed, or even counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorikon View Post
    The Wizard's Frost / Fire change is one that no one asked for, and makes things worse in multiple ways:
    - Wizard's Frost does significantly lower damage than Wizard's Fire. So it is a nerf to Blue and Yellow LM's. Wizard's Fire could be used to finish of low morale mobs, Wizard's frost is too weak for that.
    - Wizard's Fire now gives a Power restore from Flanked effect. Power Restore is VERY rarely needed. If you play Red line and want a Morale restore from time to time, you have to fiddle with TWO skills now.
    - Wizard's Fire was used by yellow LM's to quickly activate secondary debuffs from Fire-lore / Frost-lore (Warm Up / Turn up the Heat). We need to use Burning Embers or Sticky Gourd now, which takes significantly longer.

The only positive change is the DoT for Red line. So dear devs...please scrap these changes, except maybe giving Red line the DoT as a passive. Everything else isn't needed, or even counterproductive.
    Sad to read about Wizard Fire. It was one of the few skills I can cast while moving. They want to kill LM, said it before and say it again.

Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    Sad to read about Wizard Fire. It was one of the few skills I can cast while moving. They want to kill LM, said it before and say it again.
    I can hear the dev meeting

"Can't tank
    Can't dps
    Can heal a little bit"

Aha, well all we need to do is nerf the last and it will wither away...

I think the class attacts players who make devs lives hard.
    Mithithil Ithryndi