We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can you please stop deleting my trait config?

It got deleted a few weeks ago after a game update and this is not the first time.
    I remember carefully having made a selection years ago and now it is lost. I have no idea what I had selected.
    I play this game very little at the moment and mostly log in for the daily rewards now. But it would be nice to just have it configured nicely as I had selected it a while ago when I continue playing.
    Aranimda, L140 Elven Hunter, Evernight.
    1 Twinfall Path, Norrant, Falathlorn Homesteads.

Trait resets happened only twice. It happened a month ago for minstrels only because that's the class they were working on. This is understandable because you can no longer specialize in yellow tree. The number of trait points required also changed along with a bunch of other stuff. The second time they changed it for everyone now that you gain traits through leveling only. No more traits from deeds, quests, or other activities. Some received more while others less into the new scale.

I'm not playing minstrel but hunter, still my trait config was blanked. And now the game warns me every login that I have nothing set.

Short answer is no. They are not going to promise to never reset your trait configurations again. It's annoying but it happens from time to time as changes occur.
    I suggest you take a screenshot of your trait panel (print screen key) and refer to that to make it easier to re-do as needed.
    ~Erynaur, Champion of Crickhollow
    ~Butterpea, Hunter of Crickhollow
    ~Mylwen, Captain of Crickhollow
    ~Mistmir, Loremaster of Crickhollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuickFox View Post
    I'm not playing minstrel but hunter, still my trait config was blanked. And now the game warns me every login that I have nothing set.
    Easy solution, build and save another trait line

Get ideas for the trait build from https://ilovefriedorc.com/traits/
    Ujest - 140 Lore-master, Opun Tia – 107 Warden, Tummi - 105 Captain, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 66 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly – Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

and Star Citizen…

By chance, are you remembering to select "Apply" in the trait configuration after you've selected your traits? If you don't, the game won't save the trait configuration.

That aside, classes do get trait resets with major updates whenever their class skills/traits undergo substantial changes.
    Mydiel 140 LM
    Uulanel 140 GRD

istvana is offline Legendary forums 1st poster
    We were told way in advance that there would be a reset, and got warning after warning to take a screenshot or make notes of what the current build was if we felt we needed to.

If you ignored all that, or were away from the game, not much they could do. Take the 10 minutes to redo the traits - you may well wind up stronger.

The real question is probably why a trait reset is necessary at all. Personally I doubt that gold is the reason. I would definitely rather spend the little gold for resetting a tree where needed rather than rebuilding the tree on every spec on every alt.

The other option is that they are doing background work in the database and it is easier to have a few thousand players restart their trees rather than writing code to transfer them to a new structure. Which is outsourcing work to the players.
    (EDIT: I know this is hard when allocated trait points are lower than newly available trait points, but hey, we earned them and so people that got a configuration with too many points could still be allowed to use them until they re-allocate or get to the required level)

EDIT2: Just yesterday I played a char that I left alone for a long time and ALL Trollshaws stable masters had to be rediscovered. I guess it would take 20-30 minutes of riding to rediscover them. Times a few thousand players.

Maybe it would be about time to open trait trees to LUA and let us save templates.
    Last edited by thinx; Dec 05 2022 at 08:50 AM.

Trait reset for anyone who don't have 98 trait points and get different amount of trait points after update - ok. But why reset traits for players, who already have 98 trait points and don't get anything with that update?

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    Trait reset for anyone who don't have 98 trait points and get different amount of trait points after update - ok. But why reset traits for players, who already have 98 trait points and don't get anything with that update?
    Because it is a whole lot quicker and easier to just reset it for everyone than trying to figure out who should have it reset and who shouldn't. I dare say that it is a very small minority of all characters who had maxed out trait points. (Note: Of all characters, not just of the actively played characters)

And it happened again this week.

It takes less than a minute to set your traits.
    Like cmoon...
    If they reset it, then there is a good reason for that.
    Captain and wrd get compleate rework and i dont see any complainin / about reset.
    There were multiple warning to screen you trait panel / as hunter.
    You dont remember the trait you use ? Or you have like 100 trait builds ?

If you don't care about your build then slap anything you like into it.
    If you really care about it then develop your own build.
    If you keep being reliant on other's to tell you what to do you should quit or adopt either of the above.

They have to reset the tree if there were significant changes to what the traits do or when traits are added, removed, or shifted to another position on the tree.

If they didn't reset the tree for free and players ended up with #### they didn't want anymore then they'd complain.

And when a trait is removed completely how else are they going to clear it out?
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

And it happened again this week.
    There is a lot of class balance going on, get used to it, because you're going to see a lot more of it
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

Ever considered to take a screenshot (hit print button!) and save a image of you skilltree? It sounds simple - and it is.
    German HdRO-Guide. Für alles rund ums Spielvergnügen!

That's what I do, but it's still a pain and if someone's been away from the game they won't have known to do that. There are other games I don't play often and when I come back and find everything reset I just quit rather than try to figure it all out again.

What I always wondered about all these games though is why they can't give you a snapshot of your old settings in a mail or something just before resetting. I know that'd be a lot of mail they'd send out at once, but that's something they can do.

It's a free trait respec! I always welcome it since it means I get to play around with new traits.

Imagine if they reworked some of my traits and expect me to pay for respeccing!

Trait Reset shouldnt be an big issues.

1) If you are landscape player it doesnt matter which skills you pick, just put 98 (if you are 140 of course)Points and you dont get problems in open world. That lasts just 1 minute as told in this thread.
    2) If you are a raid player you will know what to do, because it matters.

I second the OP's request, especially with all the class changes happening recently and (as I understand it) about to happen still.

I realize some people don't see this as a problem.

But as a casual player who doesn't follow all the latest news and updates, with 5+ chars, it is a serious annoyance imposed upon me which should be solved on the development side.

I expect an MMO to be *persistent* e.g. to return to the same state it had whenever I log back in. This goes for player position, progress, equipment, inventory and bank content, as well as for any char configuration. Imagine they'd reset quest completion just because they change some random quest lines!

So SSG, please apply good software development practices and make changes to trait trees backward compatible = non-breaking. If required, implement an algorithm to restore trait tree points immediately after a reset.

At least to me, this is a serious flaw in your product quality.

I also empathize with the original poster. Every time I return from a break a few of my characters need rebuilding. In the case of my lore-mistresses and minstrels, it does not take very long to set traits because I play them so often. For my other characters, the process can easily take an hour or two. In a worse case scenario such as the recent changes to Captain and Warden, I need to spend a couple hours bashing on a training dummy, try different configurations, and rework quick bars before I am happy. In my opinion, that is part and parcel of a major class update and not a fault of the game developers. Quite the opposite, I very much appreciate their efforts to improve my characters. They did their part. Now I need to do mine.

The suggestion to take screen shots of trait configurations is a good one. I do that as a matter of course in DDO and have a large folder of character builds for that game. I suppose I better start doing the same thing here.
    Sophie the Enchantress - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder
    I wish all of you many successful and happy adventures., brave Ladies and Lords of Middle Earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Nigolas View Post

I expect an MMO to be *persistent* e.g. to return to the same state it had whenever I log back in. This goes for player position, progress, equipment, inventory and bank content, as well as for any char configuration. Imagine they'd reset quest completion just because they change some random quest lines!
    How should they do that if they change skills, or skills are gone for good ? Thats not possible.

Beside that every MMO has the "problem" of balancing. Thats not Lotro exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    There is a lot of class balance going on, get used to it, because you're going to see a lot more of it
    2023 will indeed likely be a year where folks need to re-spec their traits after their class gets work, we do want to do a lot of class work this year, and this is a necessary byproduct of that work in many cases. Good time to take those screenshots.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Forget screenshots; make builds that reflect the changes made or you will never learn to play. Read what your skills do and how they combine with trait and tracery choices instead. Unless this is only a dressing up game for you?

If you do not want to make screenshots (which some times is useless as for now with Warden/Captain changes), join the Ghyn Discord, there you have tons of suggestions for good trait trees and can ask questions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast