We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Issues with UI

Issues with UI

I recently switched over my old monitor for a new screen. When I opened LOTRO today for the first time since this change, all of my UI settings were altered. I have been able to get most of them back to where they were, however I cannot figure out what to do with the Deed Log, Character Sheet/Cosmetic Clothing Display, Trait Tree Panel, etc. They are all HUGE on the screen.

https://imgur.com/cWRoBja

https://imgur.com/ajuxvOQ

https://imgur.com/0KscT3t

In all cases, I either have to scroll down to see the rest of the box/window, or the top is just cut off completely and cannot be accessed.

Can anyone advise what I need to do to fix this?

First, right-click on your Windows desktop, choose display settings, and set your font scaling to 100%. If that fixes it, then the permanent fix will be to adjust the high-DPI settings in the Properties of your Lotro shortcut.

The display setting is already at 100%. The high DPI scaling override is checked so it should allow the application to make the determination.

Still not fixed when I log on. But thank you for responding.

1- Using the in-game OPTIONS panel, go to Full Screen Mode if you're not using Full Screen Mode already.
    2- Again using the in-game OPTIONS panel, change the resolution output of the game to be equal to the resolution you were using with your old monitor.

If you did as Thurallor already suggested, and you're using the same *.layout and UserPreferences.ini file as you were earlier with your old monitor, that should make everything appear – in size and position – exactly as it did with your old monitor. Again, assuming no changes to your *.layout file, the layout saved to the specific character server-side, and your .ini file.

If that doesn't do the trick, you might want to temporarily disable any skins and plugins until you get this resolved. Skins often produce the expected results only at certain specific resolutions and plugins often save the size/position data for their frames in their own settings file.

Is your new monitor a UHD/"retina" monitor while your old monitor is not?

Quote Originally Posted by caramsith View Post
    The display setting is already at 100%. The high DPI scaling override is checked so it should allow the application to make the determination.

Still not fixed when I log on. But thank you for responding.
    Well, those windows you are having problems with aren't resizable, except by changing the resolution of the entire screen. Since they are huge, I would assume you are operating at much lower than the native resolution of your screen. Change your full-screen resolution to match the native resolution of your monitor. Or, switch to "Windowed" or "Full Screen (Windowed)" mode, and it'll use the resolution configured in the Windows display settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    1- Using the in-game OPTIONS panel, go to Full Screen Mode if you're not using Full Screen Mode already.
    2- Again using the in-game OPTIONS panel, change the resolution output of the game to be equal to the resolution you were using with your old monitor.

Is your new monitor a UHD/"retina" monitor while your old monitor is not?

I tried the 'fullscreen' recommend, however it did not adjust anything.

As for the difference between the two, yes the new monitor is a UHD.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurallor View Post
    Well, those windows you are having problems with aren't resizable, except by changing the resolution of the entire screen. Since they are huge, I would assume you are operating at much lower than the native resolution of your screen. Change your full-screen resolution to match the native resolution of your monitor. Or, switch to "Windowed" or "Full Screen (Windowed)" mode, and it'll use the resolution configured in the Windows display settings.

I had tried that first thinking it was a just they did not match, but am now wondering if the switch to UHD is the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by caramsith View Post
    I tried the 'fullscreen' recommend, however it did not adjust anything.

As for the difference between the two, yes the new monitor is a UHD.
    Did you change the game's output resolution after switching to Full Screen Mode?

What was the output resolution before you made the change, and what is the output resolution set now (which should be the output resolution of your old monitor)?

Did you disable your skins and plugins?

If you still have your old monitor available, unplug your new monitor and plug your old monitor in. This should allow you to check its resolution so that you can enter the correct value after you plug in your new monitor again.

The reason I asked about UHD is because it can be confusing. For example, a typical UHD 4K monitor has a resolution of 3840x2160. However, the monitor will usually default to a smaller resolution – the monitor uses its full resolution at the hardware level but at the software level it appears to be a lower resolution. As an example: My specific monitor is a 4k monitor with a resolution of 4096x2304, however its default displayed resolution is 2048x1152. I can set it to use the full resolution of 4096x2304 (among other options) but doing so would make everything extremely small, for some people this is an advantage because it also provides a large amount of "real estate" on screen for multiple windows; but for most people this is nearly unusable. It also forces graphics-heavy software, such as games, to drive a lot more pixels which is much more demanding on the rest of your computer's hardware. When your computer only has to drive 2.4mil pixels instead of 9.4mil pixels it can produce higher framerates among other benefits.

There is also the complication of font-scaling/DPI settings which Thurallor referenced in his replies to you.

Some combination of display settings using the Windows control panel and resolution settings at Full Screen Mode in LOTRO's options panel should get you back to what you're used to. This will be easier if you disable your skins and plugins first, then get everything set up the way you like, then enable your skins and plugins one at a time to set each of them up.