We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

abc file with "error": Note is not tied to anything. Line 10, column 48

I have found this tune with the abc tune search:
    Code:
    % Generated more or less automatically by swtoabc by Erich Rickheit KSC
    X:1
    T:Auld Lang Syne
    M:4/4
    L:1/4
    K:C
     G,| C3/2 B,/2 C E| D3/2 C/2 DE/2-D/2| C/2 C3/2 E G| A3| A| G3/2 E/2 E C|\
     D3/2 C/2 DE/2-D/2| C3/2 A,/2 A, G,| C3| A| G3/2- E/2 E- C| D3/2 C/2 D A|\
     G3/2- E/2 E- G| A3 A| G3/2 E/2 E C| D3/2 C/2 DE/2-D/2| C3/2- A,/2 A,- G,|\
     C3||
    When trying to play it (bagpipe or harp) it gives me the error message: Note is not tied to anything. Line 10, column 48
    which is this part: " DE/2-D/2| "

Can anybody tell me what the problem is and how to fix it?

PS: I also tried it by putting spaces between the tags and the values (e.g. X: or M: )

Quote Originally Posted by Ereglam View Post
    I have found this tune with the abc tune search:
    Code:
     C3||
    When trying to play it (bagpipe or harp) it gives me the error message: Note is not tied to anything. Line 10, column 48
    which is this part: " DE/2-D/2| "

Can anybody tell me what the problem is and how to fix it?

PS: I also tried it by putting spaces between the tags and the values (e.g. X: or M: )
    I'm assuming it's supposed to be a slur, so try D (E/2D/2)|. (LOTRO has some weird limitations so I'm not 100% sure this style works. D E/2 D/2 would also work, just without the articulation you're looking for.)
    There's a couple other places I can see that you'll need to do the same thing; basically, you can only use a "-" if you're connecting multiple occurrences of the same note in order to increase its duration (this is called a tie, hence the error message), not if you're trying to connect multiple notes (a slur).
    Well, I suppose you could always say "flame resistant sunglasses" if you prefer that to "shoes"

Quote Originally Posted by Itharas View Post
    I'm assuming it's supposed to be a slur, so try D (E/2D/2)|. (LOTRO has some weird limitations so I'm not 100% sure this style works. D E/2 D/2 would also work, just without the articulation you're looking for.)
    There's a couple other places I can see that you'll need to do the same thing; basically, you can only use a "-" if you're connecting multiple occurrences of the same note in order to increase its duration (this is called a tie, hence the error message), not if you're trying to connect multiple notes (a slur).
    Thank you for your answer.

What I don't understand then is that this same sequence "DE/2-D/2" is already encountered in line 8 column 30 and there it seems to be accepted (aparently).

(I'm a complete newbie at this notation stuff)

Code:
     C3||
    So what's happening is that it's reading the tie in the underlined section and connecting the two E's. Ties prevent it from re-articulating the note, so it basically just skips* the second "E" (at the end of the underlined section). Which is not what you want. The reason it only reports an error for line 10 is because that's the final instance of playing "E" in the song, so it has nothing to try to tie it to.

*It's actually sustaining the note, but on lute or harp or anything that doesn't have a sustain, it just skips it. Way easier to hear for troubleshooting purposes IMO.
    Well, I suppose you could always say "flame resistant sunglasses" if you prefer that to "shoes"

Quote Originally Posted by Itharas View Post
    Code:
     C3||
    So what's happening is that it's reading the tie in the underlined section and connecting the two E's. Ties prevent it from re-articulating the note, so it basically just skips* the second "E" (at the end of the underlined section). Which is not what you want. The reason it only reports an error for line 10 is because that's the final instance of playing "E" in the song, so it has nothing to try to tie it to.

*It's actually sustaining the note, but on lute or harp or anything that doesn't have a sustain, it just skips it. Way easier to hear for troubleshooting purposes IMO.
    Thanks. I think I actually understood your explanation... ;-)