We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

RIP: Eruanne/Dorothy J. Heydt

Dorothy J. Heydt, aka Eruanne, died of ALS on 28 June 2022.

--W. H. Heydt
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

I was wondering why she stopped posting, I really enjoyed her posts. Sorry she's gone.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

I didn't know her, but my condolences.. so sorry for your loss

Sorry to hear that. My condolences. I too enjoyed her posts.

W. H. Heydt:

Thank you for your post.

I enjoyed Dorothy's many posts and had assumed that she was enjoying family and spending her time on other interests.

My condolences to you and your family.

RIP Dorothy.

Regards
    Aurora7
    Refugee Status: Veteran (Windfola, Bombadil, Ithil, Anor, and Coming SoonTM - Treebeard)

We used to have conversations about the Tomb of Horrors and Vault of the Drow.
    Last edited by DavidmeetHal; Jan 11 2023 at 02:39 AM.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Dorothy J. Heydt, aka Eruanne, died of ALS on 28 June 2022. --W. H. Heydt
    I am very sorry for your loss. I enjoyed her posts and her knowledge of the 'old days' of RPGs.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

So sorry for your loss. I will miss her genuine love for Middle Earth. Condolences.

I am very sorry to hear that. She will be missed.
    Her posts about LOTRO on Usenet back in the day was a major reason why I started playing LOTRO.

Mister Heydt, I feel deep and sincere sorrow for the passing of your beloved wife. She was a delightful and kind lady to myself and many others. I always enjoyed reading her comments and though we never met, in game or in real life, I feel privileged to have communicated with her on a few precious occasions. I will always remember her as a lore-mistress, riding on her world renowned steed, with her trusty lynx perched behind her.

I know she was an avid reader, especially of fantasy and science fiction, with an eclectic range of interests that demonstrated her nimble and expansive mind. She would often offer very amusing quips or comments that would send me looking for the reverence. Every so often, she would mention that she was assisting with a convention. I often wanted to meet her in real life, though my physical condition prevented it. I always thought of her as someone who would have been a great friend if only circumstance were slightly different.

When she passed, I hope she was close to the Pacific Ocean and could see the ship that would take her West, and that the setting sun was beautiful for her as she left this world. It is my sincere hope and wish that she continues on and patiently awaits you.

I admit, I shed a few tears when I read your missive, and I shed a few more as I write this.

Fare you well, dear Lady Eruanne, mistress of story and lore. One day, we will all meet in a far, far better place, in that undiscovered country that lies over the horizon of a boundless sea, and there we will tell tales and sing songs and dance and rejoice, for our journey will never end.
    Sophie the Enchantress - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder
    I wish all of you many successful and happy adventures., brave Ladies and Lords of Middle Earth!

My thoughts are with you, Mr. Heydt

My sincere condolences on your loss, Mr. Heydt. I'd wondered why Mrs. Heydt's account had fallen silent. I remember her fondly and always enjoyed reading her posts. Any thread she was involved with was worth reading. She will be missed.

Take solace in the knowledge that Mrs. Heydt had a positive impact on many lives. She left us a body of work that will continue to be read for years to come. The world is a better place for her having been in it.

Stay strong, Tired Old Programmer. Keep your stick on the ice, we're pullin' for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Dorothy J. Heydt, aka Eruanne, died of ALS on 28 June 2022.

--W. H. Heydt
    I didn't know her or interact with her but I saw many of her posts on the forum and she seemed like a very sweet lady. I am profoundly sorry for your loss.

13. Jan 14 2023, 04:14 PM

My condolences-she was someone who truly enjoyed the journey, not just through Lotro but Life. She will be missed.

"To my family, friends, and anyone else interested:

After I have died, tell anyone anything you like, ending with this text:

Cynthia, widow of Demetrius Duilius Artifex (and of Komi, son of
    Endreigon, the only husband she had loved, and of Demodoros, whom
    no one remembered any more), sat dying in her bed.

Her daughters, granddaughters, and the household servants were caring
    for her as she could no longer care for them, but she slipped out
    through the soles of her feet and into the depths of the earth.

The place had not changed much since she had seen it last: its grey
    colors had faded a trifle, and the stream that had flowed between
    her and Komi had stopped moving: frozen, perhaps? But she was dead
    now, and could cross it.

The silent dead sat among the trees, the spirits of men and gods
    and perhaps others, though if her friends the Qualities were
    here, they too had faded. But two remembered morning stars still
    shone, Komi's eyes, and she found a place to sit beside him. No
    one spoke; perhaps it was unlawful, or maybe just impossible.

But something that might have been time passed, and now a light
    shone from the east, filling earth and air with color, and a great
    chorus of voices: LIFT UP YOUR HEADS, YOU GATES, AND BE LIFTED
    UP, YOU EVERLASTING DOORS, THAT THE KING OF GLORY MAY COME IN.

who is the King of Glory?

THE LORD OF HOSTS: HE IS THE KING OF GLORY"

My condolences. <3
    Paint the Sky with Stars

Thank you all for your condolences. To add a bit of general background, we were married for 51 years. I got her into computer games and she got me into MMORPGs.

More context is needed for the text re-posted by KM3161... That is the last work she wrote. It was written six days before she died while she was in the hospital. For it to make sense, one really needs to have read at least some of her "Cynthia stories", most of which appeared in various volumes of Marion Zimmer Bradley's collections grouped as _Sword and Sorceress_, and then collected in her patch-up novel, _The Witch of Syracuse_. The later can be downloaded from her web site.

--W. H. Heydt
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

May you be protected in this time while moving forward. May Your Days be bright bringing smiles. Many Blessings to you!
    Landroval Yewlin level 140 hunter (7/11/2022), Gwenyan 115, Yewdalin 103. And Many Others
    Thoughts of Blessings for Each of You. Ask God to help you.
    Signup Date 3/31/2009

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread until just now.

My sincere condolences for your loss. She seemed like a lovely lady and was obviously very passionate about this game and other MMOs she had played before.

I'll miss her posts and her positive outlook.

Rest in Peace Dorothy.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers