We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Here me out SSG - This could fix your lag (at a small price)

Having played on the legendary server it hit me the today.

You solve your lag issue by capping the active logged in users on all your servers to about 300 (you probably know the better number here).

You offer free transfers once per 30 days for any character from this day forward and you add about 8 new servers to split up the congested ones.

Once the dust is settled you have more servers all running at ideally legendary performance quality.

It's obvious this engine and/or servers can't handle anything passed a certain number of logged in users so just spread em out?
    -Do you really need 800 ppl online to have fun in the game with your 20 or so kins?

player count isn't why there is lag.
    The issue of lag is based on the quests deeds and other vast amounts of character data stored on older systems (code etc )
    When you transition into a new zone, this information is hit in a larger packet, causing a bottleneck.
    This is worse on Windows Operating systems, since Windows wants to "control your computer" instead of you doing so.
    What this means is, when you hit this zone, and a large packet is being transferred, it doesn't matter if your connection to the internet is good, or your computere is great, the packet arrives, and half the time Windows shuts it down, locking the ports (temporarily for about 5 minutes ) that the packet arrives in, which consequently, shuts down your chats in game as well, as they are on these ports.

I can confirm this, and have as I have ran both WIndows ( 10 and 11 ) side by side with linux client, where the linux client may experience a hiccup and a lag spike crossing a boundary/barrier/area zone, the linux client recovers, and no chat is lost. However the windows client will crash, and will lose chat.
    Moria, after Wednesday's patch has been particularly bad for this, and I have sent a bug report in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppa_Joel View Post
    The issue of lag is based on the quests deeds and other vast amounts of character data stored on older systems (code etc )
    When you transition into a new zone, this information is hit in a larger packet, causing a bottleneck.
    This is worse on Windows Operating systems, since Windows wants to "control your computer" instead of you doing so.
    What this means is, when you hit this zone, and a large packet is being transferred, it doesn't matter if your connection to the internet is good, or your computere is great, the packet arrives, and half the time Windows shuts it down, locking the ports (temporarily for about 5 minutes ) that the packet arrives in, which consequently, shuts down your chats in game as well, as they are on these ports.

I can confirm this, and have as I have ran both WIndows ( 10 and 11 ) side by side with linux client, where the linux client may experience a hiccup and a lag spike crossing a boundary/barrier/area zone, the linux client recovers, and no chat is lost. However the windows client will crash, and will lose chat.
    Moria, after Wednesday's patch has been particularly bad for this, and I have sent a bug report in.
    Hoppa, I've been wondering why I rarely experience lag while others report they have a lot. I play on an old iMac. I'm wondering if that might be why, ie not playing on Windows OS?

Quote Originally Posted by Fargasia View Post
    Hoppa, I've been wondering why I rarely experience lag while others report they have a lot. I play on an old iMac. I'm wondering if that might be why, ie not playing on Windows OS?
    I believe so.
    I used to swear by Windows, until I started swearing at them... hehe
    My first computer was running dos 3 and I have used Windows products up til last year. My problem(s) began with Windows 10's release, forced updates, and the chat crashes, but also, windows would do bad things to my art software and drawing monitor. ( assuming 'it knows best' ) and that is why I decided, when they announced Windows 11, last year, to give Linux a try. I'd already at this poiont figured out windows was closing ports after a crash, which was the issue witht he chats, but I never had confirmation, until I got lotro on linux working. Linux runs smoother ( I still get lag, but nothing like I did on Windows ) using same computer too, it feels like I got upgrades, but to ram, ssd, and video processing.

When I cross a boundary, I will feel lag, but do not often crash, and only twice in a year did I lose chat, and that was after my internet went down itself.
    Its been roughly 7 months now since I logged into Windows to use it. I still have the dual boot because I will some day need to spend a few hours converting my art files from clipstudio to a photoshop file format. ( about 6 years of digital work and i am not looking forward to that.. )
    Anyways, yeah, Linux is running smoother, lotro took some work to setup, but I got all the shaders, for dx 9 10 and 11 running, The game looks better than it did on Windows 10 too.

I'm not saying lag is cured, in linux, but, it isnt as severe and I dont lose chat if I do crash out like what happens on a windows system.

But if numbers isnt the issue...
    Why can I play on a VIP server and zero lag, while jumping over to the f2p servers I meet all kinds of lag issues?

cdq1958 is offline Hero Of the Small Folk 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppa_Joel View Post

I will agree here. I recently rebuilt my computer. It is running LotRO better than it has in years. I dual boot and did have a bit of work to do to get dual booting working again. Linux does seem to run the game much more smoothly than Windows, but with a clean install of Win 11, it runs better than it did on 10. Unless I am seeing high ping/low transfer rate/packet loss, I may not get the database lock others get while running instances/raids. I also know that under those circumstances and if the server does need to sanity check and serialize data for several clients within strict time windows, it may lock everyone.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

It amazes me every time I see someone trying to blame the computers that people play on for the server lag. *sigh*

When you are fighting a monster and then you and the monster just stand there staring at each other not attacking is NOT the game client's fault. It has nothing to do with your computer.

How do I know this? It's simple because you are not dying during that lag spike. If it was your computer that is the problem, the server would still be processing the fight, and you would be dying. But, that's NOT WHAT IS HAPPENING. You are not getting killed during that lag spike BECAUSE the server is lagging.

Why do people want so badly to make this a game client issue when its so blatantly obvious?

The reason that some people see the server lag more than others has everything to do with how many players are logged in to your server and playing in the same region as you. Yes it has to do with deeds, but that's not deeds being processed on the client side. It's deeds being processed on the server side. If all of that was handled on the client side, this would be the easiest MMORPG to hack in history.

Come on people. Stop blaming the players.
    Pharone the Gnome
    Come watch me stream Lord of The Rings Online every night at https://twitch.tv/pharone
    Follow me on Twitter at @PharoneTheGnome
    Join my Discord server here.