We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

LAG is still the name of the Game

Every time I get on LotRo I run into LAG.....lots and lots of LAG. Have the Devs said anything about addressing the constant LAG in the game or is it being ignored and hoped that the players will continue to tolerate it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hastran View Post
    Every time I get on LotRo I run into LAG.....lots and lots of LAG. Have the Devs said anything about addressing the constant LAG in the game or is it being ignored and hoped that the players will continue to tolerate it?
    Not a singe word from the SSG on these forums.
    The only time they respond (and that is vague), is when outside forces like different gamesite press them on the issue.

In short there are two issues:
    1. Coding the game, since there have been some mumbling about broken deed system, that mess things up.
    2. Servers, because they cant handle the number of players.

Go to a VIP server with few players and zero lag, despite having a toon with all deeds done.
    This makes me think that working on the deed system are just a "pissing in the pants solution" to keep them warm.

I'm playing in Mattugard right now and i was shocked how bad the lag sometimes is. My worst lag was something like 20 Seconds where absoluty nothing happened.

And it was not the kinda lag that the game continues in the background and the mob was dead, it was like someone hit pause.

1. WHERE are you receiving this lag?
    2. Upgrade your computer. (Hard drive especially)

Quote Originally Posted by Guidorocker View Post
    2. Upgrade your computer. (Hard drive especially)
    Thats completely wrong and has nothing to do with the lags.

You can play this game on a 20000 $ PC and it still will lag.

Quote Originally Posted by WorrBinpike View Post
    Thats completely wrong and has nothing to do with the lags.

You can play this game on a 20000 $ PC and it still will lag.
    I agree.
    Do not listen to Guidorocker.
    He has not a single sensible post about the lag issue and goes for the earlier SSG answer, that its your computer.

Whohaz_Duhrang is offline Father Of Dwarves Within The Evernight...

Quote Originally Posted by Aranaan View Post
    1. Coding the game, since there have been some mumbling about broken deed system, that mess things up.
    2. Servers, because they cant handle the number of players.
    this is something you can compare to DDO and its reaper system. (the reaper system is like the delving, only that it has a seperate trait-tree extra for each character, specifically for that reaper system.)

it was added late into the game a few years ago. people with high reaper points had the game lag for 10 seconds upon entering a quest for the whole party, because the game had to calculate all those things at the start. (quest is comparable to an instance in lotro)

ssg is now reworking the whole trait-tree system for reaper. why?

thats where the DDO hardcore league servers come into play. its a freshstart, seasonal thing with added rewards, a race for the highscore so to speak. the hardcore servers are usually really crowded (everyone wants to play with people and earn the new shiny!) but have one thing missing from the normal game servers (to an extent). LAG is less prevelant on hardcore, despite the high playernumbers.
    but all those players dont have the high reaper points at start.

ssg admitted that the reaper rework is beeing made because it contributes to server-lag in one of the devtalkstreamthings lately.

its all those little extra systems and things added on top of the lotro/ddo layercake. you cannot add over and over without reinforcing the base. the whole thing crumbles at some point.
    now they have to identify all those cracks and rework/fix systems, deeds and lord knows what else all while adding new stuff.

and that has nothing to do with OUR COMPUTERS, like certain posters here repeat ad nauseum. they confuse client performance with server lag.

The LAG concerns the server for the most part. The performance of a computer is responsible to a small extent and mainly to the minimum requirements of a system.

Twelve years ago I was started playing LOTRO on a low performance PC and often experienced LAG due to the limited capabilities of the computer.
    Then I understood that I was the only one experiencing this situation compared to all the other players.

But server LAG is terrible, you can't confuse it with anything else and it affects all players without exception. So we can't blame the system requirements for that.
    This is now completely clear.
    Last edited by AegisRegnat; Feb 15 2023 at 12:02 PM.

I don't understand...
    I'm asking because I DONT see lag.
    WHERE are you that you are getting lag???

1. Are you in Bree? Rivendell? Isengard? Where...
    2. What server?
    3. What country do you live in? Russia? South America?
    Last edited by Guidorocker; Feb 15 2023 at 11:20 AM.

LAG is something that is perceived by everyone connected to a particular server at a given time.

And this is verified by the comments of players who confirm LAG at the moment it happens.

This cannot be disputed. If you don't see LAG, then what can I say, you might be a lucky guy...

I don't understand...

2. What server?

Seems to me that it is a simple matter of server load. Busy server + lots of people = Lag. I have played since 2011 and I have always found it to be a minor nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by AegisRegnat View Post
    LAG is something that is perceived by everyone connected to a particular server at a given time.

And this is verified by the comments of players who confirm LAG at the moment it happens.

This cannot be disputed. If you don't see LAG, then what can I say, you might be a lucky guy...
    I never saw lag for months and months when I started playing. I took my first character up to level 70 and I'd notice a minor slowdown in Bree if there was a band. My second character was pretty much lag free until I got a warhorse. Or maybe I should call it an ice skating horse. Ever since then the lag has pretty much gotten worse. Now my 3 level cap toons all have lag but the one with the most is the one that has done the most content. I started an new toon months ago, now level 56? and it isn't lag free but it loads much faster and just plays smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Worst_Player View Post
    Ever since then the lag has pretty much gotten worse. Now my 3 level cap toons all have lag but the one with the most is the one that has done the most content.
    It's a familiar situation in LOTRO, sometimes it's better, sometimes it gets worse.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Worst_Player View Post
    My second character was pretty much lag free until I got a warhorse. Or maybe I should call it an ice skating horse.
    With such a warhorse we're ready for the figure skating championship, don't you think?

I don't understand...

2. What server?
    1) That doesnt matter where because lag is ALL over LOTRO Middleearth.
    2) I'm on Belegaer, and that server is not very populated in terms of what i see how much players are Online.
    3) I have a 300Mbit Fibre Internet

Maybe you are just someone who doesnt recognize the difference from 30FPS to 60FPS. I know people who say 30 Frames is the holy grale, and i dont see any difference to 60FPS. Maybe you feel the same with lag, you have them, but you dont see them, or your simply dont know what it is ?

On new chars the game really runs a lot better, although i was questing a new char in swanfleet and i also had some lags.

I don't understand...

2. What server?

i dont see the air im breathing.

1. it happens everywhere, at random. you can roam the fields in fornost alone, and suddenly the game spikes.
    2. does not matter. i have chars on multiple ones, and i see the same issues in DDO, lotros sister game.
    3. a few years ago when i was travelling in siberia, the connection was fine on my laptop, yet the same lags happened.
    3.1. COUNTRY, SOUTH AMERICA there is a joke in there somewhere, im sure of it, but im not that petty.

can you please give it a rest already? even ssg aknowledges that there is annoying lag, but somehow, you are the one unicorn with a magic connection that sits directly on the serverblades.

I don't understand...
    That's about the only thing you've gotten right so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dejvid View Post
    but somehow, you are the one unicorn with a magic connection that sits directly on the serverblades.
    just epic