We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LAG??

LAG??

What is being done about in game Lag? And why when I enter "Lag" into the search does nothing come up?

Quote Originally Posted by Hastran View Post
    And why when I enter "Lag" into the search does nothing come up?
    Because in lotro Lag have diferent name ?

What is being done about in game Lag? And why when I enter "Lag" into the search does nothing come up?
    What you want to find? Magical way to fix lages in 1 min?

They working on it, they talked about it many times before including the most recent live stream with Severlin, also if you mean the search here on forums you won't find anything cause search function sometimes doesn't take 3 letter words or very short searches it isn't just the word lag.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    They working on it, they talked about it many times before including the most recent live stream with Severlin, also if you mean the search here on forums you won't find anything cause search function sometimes doesn't take 3 letter words or very short searches it isn't just the word lag.
    Thanks for the information on word length and the search engine. So is there a link somewhere with a timeline for addressing it?

Thanks for the information on word length and the search engine. So is there a link somewhere with a timeline for addressing it?
    I think lag is just one of those generic topics you find every year about this game. The developers know how much of a trigger it is for people and they do their best in explaining how it isn't just one thing. There is a series of things they are working with, complicated things for the small team that they have, and they aren't going to magically make it all go away. They try to use the phrase "performance" as it also includes fixing up the various systems.

I've posted many times of the things they worked on:

(1) Raninia mentioned some old coding that was adjusted back in January: https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...76#post8117276.
    (2) They pulled engineers off updating the old servers and other work to help with "lag work" back in March: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cBy2sNwYr8&t=2010s
    (3) Raninia talks about work in April that will continue on later in the year and how it works with CPUs, not GPU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXmaQwsk7eU&t=4490s
    (4) Raninia talked about the influx of players and several projects in the work in May: https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...19#post8137319.
    (5) Severlin mentions some of the problems they are working on, followed by why UI can be difficult to fix, in the latest Q&A in August: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YV_hv6LQxk&t=1150s.
    (6) My notes from the Q&A of September: https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...-Q-amp-A-Notes
    (7) My notes regarding the Roadmap Q&A in January and why some things weren't included: https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...-Roadmap-Notes
    (8) A suggestion made from Orion about using old technique for issues in PVMP around 49min - 54min: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1720119053

Despite all that, I'm left feeling there has been a certain amount of unconcerned steaming headlong into a not to be unmentioned Iceberg.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdJedi View Post
    I think lag is just one of those generic topics you find every year about this game. The developers know how much of a trigger it is for people and they do their best in explaining how it isn't just one thing. There is a series of things they are working with, complicated things for the small team that they have, and they aren't going to magically make it all go away. They try to use the phrase "performance" as it also includes fixing up the various systems.

I've posted many times of the things they worked on:

(1) Raninia mentioned some old coding that was adjusted back in January: https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...76#post8117276.
    (2) They pulled engineers off updating the old servers and other work to help with "lag work" back in March: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cBy2sNwYr8&t=2010s
    (3) Raninia talks about work in April that will continue on later in the year and how it works with CPUs, not GPU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXmaQwsk7eU&t=4490s
    (4) Raninia talked about the influx of players and several projects in the work in May: https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...19#post8137319.
    (5) Severlin mentions some of the problems they are working on, followed by why UI can be difficult to fix, in the latest Q&A in August: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YV_hv6LQxk&t=1150s.
    (6) My notes from the Q&A of September: https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...-Q-amp-A-Notes
    (7) My notes regarding the Roadmap Q&A in January and why some things weren't included: https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...-Roadmap-Notes
    (8) A suggestion made from Orion about using old technique for issues in PVMP around 49min - 54min: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1720119053
    Thank you very much for taking the time to collect and link those comments. I really appreciate your efforts.

Scenario is offline The Lord of the Rings Online Team
    Quote Originally Posted by DoRonRon View Post
    Despite all that, I'm left feeling there has been a certain amount of unconcerned steaming headlong into a not to be unmentioned Iceberg.
    Not all of us are network engineers that can address such issues, and thus we have to steam along on something more appropriate to our skill sets.

Rest assured that our team has been devoting significant resources to searching out the root causes of these issues and working on solutions to issues as the team is able to find them.

Having the ship's telegraph set on Full Steam Ahead without concern to radar, sonar, rules of engagement, international law and other fields not on your remit are a valid excuse?

Using tools that speed along the world building without concern of how they behave under high server loads another valid excuse, because you didn't make the tool or know what it involved? Strolling through on a dev server still or on Evernight around 2pm EST?

I set a record on my Guard last week playing dead of night, 15 missions (of choice) in under 30 minutes. At peak the wait time to hand in each one is 2 to 4 minutes! Not like I'm a dummy standing around waiting to hand in during peak ofc, I'm porting elsewhere for a much quicker reset and getting a mission stable ride back if it's longer than 1m30s.

So long as someone else is scurrying about and equal effort is being put into the spin for you and us both, that's enough? Just take a look for yourselves.

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    Rest assured that our team has been devoting significant resources to searching out the root causes of these issues and working on solutions to issues as the team is able to find them.
    I believe the team is working hard, and trying to fix the lag. But this has been an issue for going on 5+ years now, and it seems to be getting worse, not better. You did not have to have "weekly reboots" in the past, often servers remained up for a month, or even two months because there was no new patch release.

So while I believe you are working on it, I think that after so much time of no real solutions - at least no solutions that we the players can directly notice - it might be time to change strategies. Hire an extra engineer that has different knowledge than the ones you have now, perhaps look at all the things that haven't really worked (give me my Sic Em back!), and do a complete 180 from the strategy currently being used to fix lag..... because at least from the player's side..... it ISN'T WORKING!

You may notice performance increase on the server side, but if I stand in an older zone somewhere, doing a quest that requires me to pick up 10 crates, and I click on a crate only to be treated with a 20 second wait before the crate actually gets picked up..... something is seriously wrong. I did my quest for the VIP item today, clicked "finish" and it took over 40 seconds for the items to show up in my inventory.

Whatever you are currently doing, it isn't working. It's making things worse.

I KNOW the SSG team is working hard, but with regards to lag..... I am thinking you really need to change strategy.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

At this point I hit lag so often I have given up playing LOTRO beyond logging in to talk to the kin and see if anything has improved. Moved on to playing other games.

Not all of us are network engineers that can address such issues, and thus we have to steam along on something more appropriate to our skill sets.

___

I wonder if opening up one new regular server would help? Or do all of the servers tap into one single database on certain things that are causing system-wide lag?

As we seem to be opening up more of the South Farthing in the Shire, we could name the new server Pincup.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidWe View Post
    ___

I wonder if opening up one new regular server would help? Or do all of the servers tap into one single database on certain things that are causing system-wide lag?

As we seem to be opening up more of the South Farthing in the Shire, we could name the new server Pincup.
    Since I only have a typically 50ms delay, I don't really have much in the way of lag.
    However, lately I have been seeing more of it... some rubber-banding; some delays in responsiveness to control inputs... but nothing I can't live with.
    In general, being an old coder/developer, what I see is network lag; not server-lag. That is, delays along the "hops" from my house to the server-farm. I have a very high-speed connection from my house outwards, but that doesn't mean all of the hops outwards have similarly fast connectivity. It's enough "lag" to be an irritant at times, but nothing I can't handle.
    Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreegan View Post
    Since I only have a typically 50ms delay, I don't really have much in the way of lag.
    However, lately I have been seeing more of it... some rubber-banding; some delays in responsiveness to control inputs... but nothing I can't live with.
    In general, being an old coder/developer, what I see is network lag; not server-lag. That is, delays along the "hops" from my house to the server-farm. I have a very high-speed connection from my house outwards, but that doesn't mean all of the hops outwards have similarly fast connectivity. It's enough "lag" to be an irritant at times, but nothing I can't handle.
    If its a network lag, can you please explain why I have zero lag on a VIP server, but tons on a f2p server?
    I have mentioned in many of the forum posts regarding lag, that the last weeks I have been on Treebeard (VIP server) and its a delight to play there, compare to the other servers where the f2p players roams.

Since you've been working so hard, and devoting so many resources to this, could you show us the results of your tests on the effects of provisioning more server-side resources?

For example, how does the average server latency at peak loads change when the processing power is increased by 10%, 20%, 30%, etc?
    Dagoreth (Warden) and Belechannas (Lore-master) of Arkenstone

< No Dorfs >
    Fighting the Dorf menace to Middle Earth since 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kreegan View Post
    I would agree if it was a speed/connectivity issue and not a world world wide thing. Seems like people from all over are experiencing the same lag issue. That points to 1 of 2 things in my head. Either the internet and every connectivity point in the world is messed up within the last few years and has never been fixed, or it an issue at SSG, either their hardware or software. It's hard to swallow that everyone in the world is experiencing "network lag" with just LOTRO. It more points to SSG and on their end. I don't have this issue when playing Ark or V Rising, ESO, Guild Wars 2, SWTOR etc... or if i do it's rarely. Again all info at this time points to SSG as the point of issue.

Quote Originally Posted by celticwitch View Post
    I would agree if it was a speed/connectivity issue and not a world world wide thing. Seems like people from all over are experiencing the same lag issue. That points to 1 of 2 things in my head. Either the internet and every connectivity point in the world is messed up within the last few years and has never been fixed, or it an issue at SSG, either their hardware or software. It's hard to swallow that everyone in the world is experiencing "network lag" with just LOTRO. It more points to SSG and on their end. I don't have this issue when playing Ark or V Rising, ESO, Guild Wars 2, SWTOR etc... or if i do it's rarely. Again all info at this time points to SSG as the point of issue.
    I'm not sure they are speaking from the same point of view. Taking 10 years off from playing the game and levelling some 14 characters at the same time doesn't suggest to me that they are interacting with others and are even playing the areas of the game most hit with issues. 50ms latency must help some, to be first in the queue for server side processing. I get to take a ticket and wait. Having admitted to being a whale in the past does not imply rigorous cost benefit analysis in play.

We can all go hide out in an empty landscape untouched by a "revamp". The journey takes some more time than others.

Missing the where, what and when of their game play assumes we are all doing the same as them when very likely we are not.

Quote Originally Posted by LagunaD2 View Post
    Since you've been working so hard, and devoting so many resources to this, could you show us the results of your tests on the effects of provisioning more server-side resources?

For example, how does the average server latency at peak loads change when the processing power is increased by 10%, 20%, 30%, etc?
    That's not his remit, despite picking up some of the slack on Producer duties, when there hasn't been one. I have a "Carry On" scene in my mind's eye of a squad taking step a back on a call for a volunteer to step forward. Been suckered myself, Guild Leader and a mess of Dragon Kill Points to sort out/fix.

Who want's their salary moved to paying the datacentre instead? Even if it's scurrying about looking for marginal gains and ignoring the elephant and it's mounting poo.

I have a 1Gig fiber data speed and Im getting severe lag spikes. Running a speed test im netting around 750Mbps frequently which is WAAAAY more than enough for this game, so im not certain why these lag spikes are this severe. People pay good money for a game that has been out 16 years. There is no reason these lag spikes should be this bad. Hows about you take care of your datacenters or stop charging people until you are prepared to do so? With these lag spikes and random crashes, Im not getting much value for the $30/3 month I constantly give you, when I can go play WoW or any other MMO with have the issues. Just my opinion

With the game designed to play with resources fixed for each server and playable and then changed to react to the varying requirements; varying population on each server at any time.

These resources always being brought up or down more by the chosen architecture and less by a team of engineers in control you might investigate any correlation between those changes and the spike in game we get on a busy server. And not even busy sometimes, even at low pops a change of 100 may invoke a resources change?

The lack of response might suggest there is no team of engineers to comment on suggestions. If there is no brain surgeon about chiropodist can look at your corns though.

Maybe there are some, just not motivated to take a look from both perspectives? Or they have and I refer you to Arnenna's signature image. Recent one, not the extended one of the past.

Who am I kidding, server queues were a surprise, granularity to check this is way over heads.
    Last edited by DoRonRon; Mar 05 2023 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoRonRon View Post
    With the game designed to play with resources fixed for each server and playable and then changed to react to the varying requirements; varying population on each server at any time.

These resources always being brought up or down more by the chosen architecture and less by a team of engineers in control you might investigate any correlation between those changes and the spike in game we get on a busy server. And not even busy sometimes, even at low pops a change of 100 may invoke a resources change?

The lack of response might suggest there is no team of engineers to comment on suggestions. If there is no brain surgeon about chiropodist can look at your corns though.

Maybe there are some, just not motivated to take a look from both perspectives? Or they have and I refer you to Arnenna's signature image. Recent one, not the extended one of the past.

Who am I kidding, server queues were a surprise, granularity to check this is way over heads.
    Well they seriously need to figure something out. I had 9 lag spikes in literally 15 minutes in the Barrow Downs when there used to be none. And this was in an area with very few people. I can only imagine how bad it gets in raids, instances, Epic Battles, or even in higher populated cities.

Did you upgrade the DataCenter cabling from Cat5 to Cat7 or even Fiber?
    Marancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf
    The Lord of the Rings Online: Community Discord | My in game image hosting: LotroShots

Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    Did you upgrade the DataCenter cabling from Cat5 to Cat7 or even Fiber?
    What kind of hamster are those ?

Monday evening is certainly seeing some massive lag spikes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast