We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Pet damage not registering?

So we know certain enemies will bug if you kill them in one hit. For example the wights in the Fornost Wraith of Fire- if you one hit kill them, the door behind them doesn't open and the instance hangs. You have to do a small hit, then a big one so combat triggers and then the door opens on death.

Because of that, for certain boss enemies I often send in my LM pet to do some small damage before I use a big attack. However I've been noticing that my pet's damage isn't registering. For example:

(start of fight, boss at full health)
    Pet attacks: floating damage says -350
    (boss is still at full health)
    Wait for the next pet attack.
    Pet attacks: floating damage says -274
    Pet attacks: floating damage says -421
    A few seconds later the boss's health finally drops by a small amount.

What's with that?

It is how LOTRO has always worked. LOTRO is server authoritative. In other words, for the game, the server determines damage and updates the client at a specific time interval (server tic rate), (6 seconds for LOTRO I believe). This is most clearly seen when you one shot a mob and the mob, though showing no moral, is still standing there and then undergoes the death animation a few seconds after you hit them.

The only way to change this is to change the timing of the game (will never happen without a complete re-write of the game engine) and the timing of client updates.
    Ujest - 140 Lore-master, Opun Tia – 107 Warden, Tummi - 105 Captain, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 66 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly – Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

and Star Citizen…

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    It is how LOTRO has always worked. LOTRO is server authoritative. ... when you one shot a mob and the mob, though showing no moral, is still standing there
    I've definitely seen what you're talking about- I'm just wondering why when the game is functioning normally and my attacks do instant damage, my pet damage consistently takes many seconds to register.

A certain amount of damage needs be done before it registers on the bar. Pets do less damage therefore more time passes before it registers the required amount to be visible on the enemies Morale bar.
    Footman Ryvick DonHuntstead 120 Guardian

Officer of Baruk Khazad

Arkenstone Server

Quote Originally Posted by Halphast View Post
    So we know certain enemies will bug if you kill them in one hit. For example the wights in the Fornost Wraith of Fire- if you one hit kill them, the door behind them doesn't open and the instance hangs. You have to do a small hit, then a big one so combat triggers and then the door opens on death.

Because of that, for certain boss enemies I often send in my LM pet to do some small damage before I use a big attack. However I've been noticing that my pet's damage isn't registering. For example:

(start of fight, boss at full health)
    Pet attacks: floating damage says -350
    Pet attacks: floating damage says -274
    Pet attacks: floating damage says -421
    A few seconds later the boss's health finally drops by a small amount.

What's with that?
    There are barricades in some instances that pets can't damage, no matter how long pets attack, until you have done damage to them.