We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Naming

Naming

Why is it that it's acceptable to have level 1-20 characters 'placeholding' names or just simply existing with a desired name?
    It is clear that they do not enjoy the game or character enough to keep playing it and had already moved onto another game or character.
    Also, why is it that we cannot see the year when we check to see when anyone last played but we can see the year we joined a kinship?

There are too many times where I would have liked a name that somebody else had who hasn't played to game past level 7 or been on in at least a year.

It would be nice if there weren't any placeholding or low lvl chars with names that others want - again, it's clear that they moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pewpewmidget View Post
    Why is it that it's acceptable to have level 1-20 characters 'placeholding' names or just simply existing with a desired name?
    It is clear that they do not enjoy the game or character enough to keep playing it and had already moved onto another game or character.
    Also, why is it that we cannot see the year when we check to see when anyone last played but we can see the year we joined a kinship?

There are too many times where I would have liked a name that somebody else had who hasn't played to game past level 7 or been on in at least a year.

It would be nice if there weren't any placeholding or low lvl chars with names that others want - again, it's clear that they moved on.
    I have many mules over 7 accounts .. most of them are between 5 and 7 years old .
    And most are between levels 25 and 50 .
    Just because they don't get out much doesn't mean they aren't being used .
    every time a new expac arrives theres a glut of new items that are needed to stockpile or save in some fashion for the game .
    They all have a purpose and they all have a reason to be in my stable .
    Whos to say others are not doing the same thing . Or some other task maybe assigned to their mules .
    Assuming that the those low levels are dormant and have no use to the player is egregious and pure speculation .
    As far as naming ... its first come first served .. and thats fine by me ..
    Like who wants to see a bunch of Arthurs of Camelot running around .
    I dont have any sympathy with this post ... its built on to many assumtions .

Quote Originally Posted by Rylnconn View Post
    I have many mules over 7 accounts .. most of them are between 5 and 7 years old .
    Just because they don't get out much doesn't mean they aren't being used .
    every time a new expac arrives theres a glut of new items that are needed to stockpile or save in some fashion for the game .
    They all have a purpose and they all have a reason to be in my stable .
    Whos to say others are not doing the same thing . Or some other task maybe assigned to their mules .
    Assuming that the those low levels are dormant and have no use to the player is egregious and pure speculation .
    As far as naming ... its first come first served .. and thats fine by me ..
    Like who wants to see a bunch of Arthurs of Camelot running around .
    I dont have any sympathy with this post ... its built on to many assumtions .
    Agreed here 100%. Especially if the player like me spends real money on this game on a regular basis.

Now if it's some free to play player that hasn't spent any money and has not logged on in a long time, that's a different story.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

4. Feb 15 2023, 12:37 AM

Its fact though that some names are unused, can't deny that, so not just pure speculation, of course some are mulls, but everyone of them is, someone might've joined lotro in 2010 or something and decided they didn't like game so left without deleting any character and never returned, we don't know.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

Or maybe they really love the game but...
    they had to leave for the military
    or maybe their PC broke and they couldn't afford to replace it
    or maybe they went to college and didn't have time to play
    or maybe they had some other personal stuff going on for a while
    or any other reason because sometimes life just happens

and then they come back to play the game they love and find out they lost their character names just because someone else wanted them. Why? Why can't folks just come up with other names? I'd never assume that someone who hasn't played for a while "already moved onto another game or character."
    Arkenstone
    Homer - min
    Goo - burg
    Boppa - brawler

Like in every game.
    Finders keepers.
    Its not inactive account, so they have right to keep the name

As others have shown, there are many reasons for a char to be left for a while, even a long while.
    What's wrong with stretching your imagination a bit to come up with your own name? Out of 20
    characters, only one made me try more than 3 times for a name, and I still got one I liked. Most
    of them I got first time. I guess I just don't like following the crowd and being like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by elderlygamer View Post
    Or maybe they really love the game but...
    they had to leave for the military
    or maybe their PC broke and they couldn't afford to replace it
    or maybe they went to college and didn't have time to play
    or maybe they had some other personal stuff going on for a while
    or any other reason because sometimes life just happens

and then they come back to play the game they love and find out they lost their character names just because someone else wanted them. Why? Why can't folks just come up with other names? I'd never assume that someone who hasn't played for a while "already moved onto another game or character."
    Life does happen but doesn't mean they will return, your assuming they will, and assuming they haven't moved on, we shouldn't just assume, but know that life just happens, I think some names should be freed up on inactive accounts not logged in for 8+ years non VIP, SSG would know what accounts are inactive they have all the data. sure some can just come up with another name but i think thats bad argument and excuse to leave good names that may never ever be used again or logged in ever again.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

istvana is offline Legendary forums 1st poster
    I agree with the OP - there are character names that were taken many years ago and haven't been played for five or ten years or even longer. On accounts where no money has been spent for five or ten years or even longer.

Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    I agree with the OP - there are character names that were taken many years ago and haven't been played for five or ten years or even longer. On accounts where no money has been spent for five or ten years or even longer.
    Well, not returning is not a definite. I mean am not precious about many of my names but one or two including the original am fond of. I took many breaks over time, the longest of which was for years, but am here, playing those characters and would have been rightly miffed if they had been "stolen".

Where I do agree with the OP is that folks who come into the game and leave shortly after do clog up naming options, Where folks are levels 1 to 20 and not played for many years its not a great investment of time and as they are most likely "churn" would be in favour of recycling those names.

Maybe a little higher in the 35 range even. But other than that, no, not a good idea.
    "Romper: You have the power to make EM less boring for yourself and everyone else. "
    "Look for your lore. But do not trust to lore, it has forsaken these lands." - Eolore prince of Lorehan

I can't speak for everyone, but I have a few characters level 1-20. They are crafters. Some fully through the crafting tiers and guild, but stoned to prevent too much XP from crafting. Some, just working through the tiers slowly. Their names weren't randomly pulled from a hat, I chose their names, because eventually - I will play them.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

They may not have been played, but I don't know how you could know that no money has been spent on the account they belong to. I have a level 65 minstrel who plays alongside a friend who takes regular breaks from the game. She hasn't moved off her current spot in over two years. That has no bearing on the status of my account, the money I do, or do not spend, or how active I am in the game on other alts.

Regardless of monies spent or not spend, players still have a right to keep their characters with their names intact.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

Just because a toon is low level doesn't mean they aren't played. In my case I've played LOTRO from day one and have shelved toons for years and returned to them later. Each of my characters has a unique history and story, stripping away the name I gave them upon creation would destroy who they are. I understand your frustration, but there are infinite variations on a desired name, choose another.

I bring word from Lord Elrond of Rivendell. An Alliance once existed between Elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honor that allegiance.

istvana is offline Legendary forums 1st poster
    "They may not have been played, but I don't know how you could know that no money has been spent on the account they belong to. I have a level 65 minstrel who plays alongside a friend who takes regular breaks from the game. She hasn't moved off her current spot in over two years. That has no bearing on the status of my account, the money I do, or do not spend, or how active I am in the game on other alts."

Perhaps my point wasn't made clearly enough. I am not talking about a character that is inactive I am talking about an *account* that is inactive. You or I may not be able to know if an account hasn't been used for 5 or 10 years but SSG certainly can see this.

There are people that created characters long ago and then left. The characters may be level one. They may never even have been logged in - just created to save names and never played at all - not even once.

If an account has been totally inactive for a long time and the characters are very low level it just seems wrong that those names are unavailable for the life of the game.

I will also say If SSG ever did this to free up names it wouldn't be new, Everquest did this, they once deleted all and every character under level 10 that was inactive accounts, Everquest is by Daybreak games, company who also Publishes/owns LOTRO, so they could do same here if wanted.

There are people that created characters long ago and then left. The characters may be level one. They may never even have been logged in - just created to save names and never played at all - not even once.

If an account has been totally inactive for a long time and the characters are very low level it just seems wrong that those names are unavailable for the life of the game.

This is part reason why I made this post.
    If anyone does not have any intentions of playing a character past a said level or invest any time on them at all
    then they should not be entitled to the name they are denying others of using.

There were also some malicious people out there, when the servers were closing, that would make alts on another server
    just to inconvenience those who transferred to their server with the name they stole from them.

Now, when I made this thread, I was only thinking of two kinds of people
    Those who tried the game, decided they didn't like it and left without deleting their character
    or made a character with a said name to inconvenience others transferring to their server.

Just because they don't get out much doesn't mean they aren't being used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    I can't speak for everyone, but I have a few characters level 1-20. They are crafters. Some fully through the crafting tiers and guild, but stoned to prevent too much XP from crafting. Some, just working through the tiers slowly. Their names weren't randomly pulled from a hat, I chose their names, because eventually - I will play them.
    In cases, where people have storage mules and crafting alts....
    I am fine with the storage mules if they are logged regularly as indication that they are still being used and have their purpose.
    For crafting alts, obviously these toons are still being used for something, even if they are low levels. They are logged regularly to craft for so-and-so and such.

Quote Originally Posted by eanamdar View Post
    In my case I've played LOTRO from day one and have shelved toons for years and returned to them later. Each of my characters has a unique history and story, stripping away the name I gave them upon creation would destroy who they are. I understand your frustration, but there are infinite variations on a desired name, choose another.
    That is fine. You invested time into them via making a biography/story or whatever it is that you are doing on them.

One thing that has oddly annoyed me is that the friend's list does not keep track of the year under 'time last played'
    There's no definite way of knowing for sure if one has been inactive for 2+ years but one thing is definite:
    SSG won't do anything about anything if there is a slight chance the account itself has been active.

'Account has been active'....that can mean a plethora of things,
    They transferred over to another server and don't play their characters on the other server anymore,
    Made a alt with said name to inconvenience others who want to use the said name then never log the alt in again, but still play on their main or other alts,
    They only log once in a blue moon to make it seem like they are active on so and so in fear of losing their name they don't want and are just denying others of using.

Like stated numerous times already on this thread, there is no definite way of knowing anything and everything is based off of assumptions.

I would suggest a change in the naming rights protocol to weed out those with malicious intent, long inactives and name clog from those who tried, didn't like and just left.
    Maybe a time trial or a level gate before anything can be changedor something.

Like stated above, 1-20 is not a great deal of time investment.
    But what is is crafting and writing a biography for story/role-playing purposes or anything that requires thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    I will also say If SSG ever did this to free up names it wouldn't be new, Everquest did this, they once deleted all and every character under level 10 that was inactive accounts, Everquest is by Daybreak games, company who also Publishes/owns LOTRO, so they could do same here if wanted.
    This, alone, would free up the name I was wanting for my lore-master.
    Would also be interesting if they freed up names routinely under a time limit of being inactive.
    Like anyone who hasn't been active in 6 months that have not invested a great deal of time on their character would lose their naming rights.

And by great deal, I mean level 50+ or biography/story, storage mule, crafter, role-playing, etc.
    For example, hitting level 50 alone tells someone that they invested at least a week of their time on said character.

6 months is more than enough time to do what you need to do in order to secure your name.

The deletion of level 20 and below chars alone would free up a ginormous pocket of names
    and would prevent people from placeholding a name or inconveniencing someone from a closing server or transfer.

In cases, where people have storage mules and crafting alts....
    I am fine with the storage mules if they are logged regularly as indication that they are still being used and have their purpose.
    For crafting alts, obviously these toons are still being used for something, even if they are low levels. They are logged regularly to craft for so-and-so and such.

I don't think they need to log their alts and crafting alts regularly, I'd say as long as any character on the account has been logged on then the name should stay with that customer.

I'm only in favour of this is its an account where no activity has occurred, say for an arbitrary 5+ years and only then if the character is low level, say an arbitrary 25 or under, an its not like we should delete the characters, just free up the names.

Any step in this direction should only be designed to target non-returning players with little investment, to weed out experimental churn.
    "Romper: You have the power to make EM less boring for yourself and everyone else. "
    "Look for your lore. But do not trust to lore, it has forsaken these lands." - Eolore prince of Lorehan

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwiley View Post
    I don't think they need to log their alts and crafting alts regularly, I'd say as long as any character on the account has been logged on then the name should stay with that customer..
    Well, I guess you do have a point.
    SSG can clearly see what their intended use for these alts are if they are mules or crafters that have quite a bit of stuff on them.
    Logging them regularly shouldn't really be necessary if the account holder is at least active elsewhere on the same server.

So, with regards to placeholding, or with people who haven't played in X amount of time - you can send a ticket to support for the name, I have done so before and they have changed the name of the inactive person and let me rename my character to that, however if a person has logged into any character on any server in the past year (I think), then their account is still registered as in use and support won't help.

Mixed feelings, do you want to use a name that has generated bad rep, so much they had to quit? Or be associated with one on another server. Or conversely not able to live up to a high reputation you'll never match up to.

It does make some sense to protect your cherished main server characters by creating the names on the doomed to fail or temporary servers against possible flaws in the transfer coding that maybe present at the time of their closing.

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    There are two ways of looking at this....

I myself have about 30 characters, 20 of which I probably haven't logged on for a year or more because they are currently in hiatus. I often will pickup one of those characters and start actively playing them again, so I keep them around till I do. I would be upset if said characters would all over sudden get a -1, so I make sure I log em in at least once a year or so.

Then there are the people who have played anywhere from 2007 through 2013 or so.... but have long since left the game. Those names will only be re-claimable by transferring a character on to this server, which costs money, and you don't have the guarantee you can even make that particular name on another server to do the transfer to begin with. For those names, I would suggest that 10 years is long enough. If you have not logged in a character for TEN years, you will forfeit your name. I actually think they should run a monthly maintenance, and move all toons not logged on for 10 years to a separate off-server database (kind of like the never returning old server transfers, but a NEW database)and free up all those names for new character creation. If for whatever reason you do return to the game after 10+ years.... you can place your characters on a server, and you may or may not get the -1 or -2, depending on whether the name has been claimed.

There is one trick one can do: When Anor was closing, I went on the server on the LAST day (when most people had transferred off) and managed to create a number of characters with "cool" names, and then transferred them to Arkenstone. And yes, I was able to claim no fewer than 7 cool names that were taken by long gone characters before.

You can do this again in a few months with Shadowfax: They will get level 130 some time in March, level 140 some time in June, and will most likely CLOSE before the release of the upcoming Umbar expansion. If you time it right, log on to Shadowfax a day or two before it closes (likely July/August, maybe September), and create some characters with names you want. Then perform a free transfer of those names to the server you want, and if the existing names have not logged on for one year or more..... you can claim them.

You would need to spring for 1 month of VIP of course, and there is no guarantee it will work..... but it may be worth trying.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    SSG can clearly see what their intended use for these alts are if they are mules or crafters that have quite a bit of stuff on them.
    Even if there is no crafting, no storage, but its just a vanilla character that has been taken through the intro and still located in a sub-level 10 newbie zone.... as long as the player is still active, the name should be theirs. I have characters I created with all sorts of good intentions, but then I decide to play another character and it gets forgotten..... until three years later I want to start something new, and I have a few random level 5-10 characters ready to go and play.

It's first come, first serve on names no matter what the character is used for or not at all.

However, if the ACCOUNT has not been logged on for say 10 years, that should trigger an action that clears up any names. My suggestion would be to run monthly scripts that would copy characters of 10+ years not logged on to a "storage" database, and they can be retrieved from there should a player decide to return after 12 years away anyways.

That would at least clear up the first 6 years of names that have been made, and I would bet all the "cool" ones were taken in the first 2 years.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    Life does happen but doesn't mean they will return, your assuming they will, and assuming they haven't moved on, we shouldn't just assume, but know that life just happens, I think some names should be freed up on inactive accounts not logged in for 8+ years non VIP, SSG would know what accounts are inactive they have all the data. sure some can just come up with another name but i think thats bad argument and excuse to leave good names that may never ever be used again or logged in ever again.
    Nah, I even said I'd never make any assumptions about why a character/account hadn't been played. I just gave examples of why someone might be away for an extended period and be unable to play even though they might want to. Unless someone comes here to post a (usually dramatic) thread saying they're leaving or announces it on a server, we'll just never know.

The op made an assumption about account holders not returning to the game after a year via this comment: "It is clear that they do not enjoy the game or character enough to keep playing it and had already moved onto another game or character." I just don't think that is a fair assumption to make about a stranger's account just based on inactivity after a year.

However, I can see your point about the 8-year time frame. Most personal matters that unwillingly take someone away from a game they like probably are not going to be matters that last 8 years.
    Arkenstone
    Homer - min
    Goo - burg
    Boppa - brawler

I'm ok with this for an inactive account, but for me, someone that plays 7 days a week, and still buys points even though being a lifetimer, I'll tell SSG to keep their grubby little hands away from my character names.

And I don't care how long I haven't played an alt.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast