We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Update on freezes

For purposes of feedback:
    1. I have installed the latest version of CrossOver, with Tralfazz's recommended settings.
    2. Ingame freezes on my main character continue to manifest themselves in an irrational way; he sailed through a tier 3 version of the long and very crowded 12-man skirmish Doom of Charas Gelebren perfectly, and froze three times within five minutes in the daily Forges instance - freezes of 1min & 30 seconds and 2 minutes long.
    3. On at least two occasions, after a sudden slowdown followed by a freeze, I found that the Texture cache had reset itself from 1.0 to 0.3.
    4. Other characters are not affected.
    5. Rather than curing itself for good, the phenomenon of restarts on the main hard disk running Sierra resulting in Bluetooth switching itself off is becoming the rule rather than the exception. An irritant rather than a major issue, as I have to then plug in a wired kb, access Terminal, input [sudo pkill bluetoothd] and then restart again...
    6. As ever, unlikely to be either a hardware or a server error, since everything else works well.

Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Anaxapart View Post
    1. I have installed the latest version of CrossOver, with Tralfazz's recommended settings.
    2. Ingame freezes on my main character continue to manifest themselves in an irrational way; he sailed through a tier 3 version of the long and very crowded 12-man skirmish Doom of Charas Gelebren perfectly, and froze three times within five minutes in the daily Forges instance - freezes of 1min & 30 seconds and 2 minutes long.
    3. On at least two occasions, after a sudden slowdown followed by a freeze, I found that the Texture cache had reset itself from 1.0 to 0.3.
    4. Other characters are not affected.
    5. Rather than curing itself for good, the phenomenon of restarts on the main hard disk running Sierra resulting in Bluetooth switching itself off is becoming the rule rather than the exception. An irritant rather than a major issue, as I have to then plug in a wired kb, access Terminal, input [sudo pkill bluetoothd] and then restart again...
    6. As ever, unlikely to be either a hardware or a server error, since everything else works well.
    1- Your issues have nothing to do with WINE or Crossover.
    2/4- Great job on identifying that the problem is isolated to your oldest/most-played character and in learning that other people are experiencing this with their own extremely old and heavily-played characters. Unfortunately, as you posted in the "LOTRO General Discussion & Feedback" subforum https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...-early-January, there's nothing we can do on our end. The only possible resolution is on the back end and is possibly related to some minor back end change made on or around 05 Jan 2023.
    3- That should not happen by itself, it's a puzzlement. I wonder if the Texture Cache Size setting is "resetting itself" before the problem exhibits, i.e. that it is causing the problem rather than being caused by the problem. There's no way to "lock" that setting, it should be "locked" by default like all the other settings set in the in-game OPTIONS panel and change only if you do so purposely.
    5- Is this happening only when you boot to your internal drive's MacOS 10.13 High Sierra boot volume or does it also happen when you boot to your external drive's MacOS 12 Monterey boot volume? Next time this happens, connect a wired keyboard and mouse then manually un-pair all your Bluetooth devices. Turn off all your Bluetooth devices. Then restart. When restart is complete, run the "sudo pkill bluetoothd” command in the Terminal, then restart again. When restart is complete, pair each of your Bluetooth devices again – turn them on and pair them one at a time. (On another topic, I wonder if you have considered spending most or all of your time booted into Monterey from the SSD rather than regularly rebooting from one boot volume to the other.)
    6- Agree. Per (2/4) this is extremely unlikely to be related to your hardware, network connection, WINE/Crossover, or your installation of LOTRO or the specific settings you use. A server error? Maybe not an error, just some setting that was changed on or around 05 Jan 2023 which is negatively affecting only very old and data-heavy characters such as the one of yours experiencing this issue.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Feb 18 2023 at 12:12 PM. Reason: repaired typos