We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    There is however a really good reason why SSG would NEVER do this, and I already mentioned it above: Just like any game that is completely offline can have a "trainer" (which essentially reads game memory and then changes certain things, such as money or life, or whatever), someone would without a doubt write something that can analyze the memory of the server running, and then subsequently use it to their advantage on a live server. Essentially, it would open up a massive can of worms, and although people would get banned for it quickly, it would create an environment where the game servers can no longer be trusted because someone has "hacks" and "cracks" for it developed with the offline version.
    That's a good point, actually.

I had meant it to be a totally separate experience and wasn't worried about moving my characters back and forth. (I suppose that isn't what the OP had in mind though.)

I'd still like it. I'm happier playing live, and don't really mind not getting my own private, quiet instance to play in, but if they ever did release something like that, where I could play offline, even if it were because the game were closing down, it would be something I would be likely to purchase.
    Paint the Sky with Stars

Maybe it would be possible to give all player characters a (locally displayed) transparent outfit that overrides the normal outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by Carallot View Post
    That's true, maybe when a mob starts a fight with a player "with incompatible quietness level" it could simply die and disappear for the others?
    Too many problems. Killing the mob would mean it is no longer available for open tapping. One could easily collect mobs by kiting without killing, thus emptying an area for other players, but without spawn.
    What would happen if the invisible player is defeated? => wait for respawn (long time) or respawn immediately? The latter would mean that players could collect mobs and then drop the (now invisible) mobs in an AoE area of another player.

The easiest solution would be to show players in fight or to just show the mobs regardless of fight status.

Quote Originally Posted by thinx View Post
    Maybe it would be possible to give all player characters a (locally displayed) transparent outfit that overrides the normal outfits.

Too many problems. Killing the mob would mean it is no longer available for open tapping. One could easily collect mobs by kiting without killing, thus emptying an area for other players, but without spawn.
    What would happen if the invisible player is defeated? => wait for respawn (long time) or respawn immediately? The latter would mean that players could collect mobs and then drop the (now invisible) mobs in an AoE area of another player.

The easiest solution would be to show players in fight or to just show the mobs regardless of fight status.
    That's why I was thinking in a "Quiet server" more than an actual option in "Social Options", there are so many incompatibilities between "quietness levels" that makes the work too complex while in a specific server all people are in the same spot so no need to think in incompatibilities. If you choose being there you get what you wanted.

The other problem is "How can SSG monetize this?", in one side they can add it to VIP as a free transfer while in the other adding it as a normal (paid) transfer or (free) by allowing creating new characters there.

By doing this they should redo the game launcher server list (a bit overdue anyway), now is just an HTML selector expanded with no icons or anything making it as sexy as a Ms Excel spreadsheet from 1990:

Dear reader, I tend to edit my posts A LOT, sorry. Please don't be hasty, thank you!

That's why I was thinking in a "Quiet server" more than an actual option in "Social Options", there are so many incompatibilities between "quietness levels" that makes the work too complex while in a specific server all people are in the same spot so no need to think in incompatibilities. If you choose being there you get what you wanted.
    The problem exists even if players are in the same server and spot. The problems I mentioned above allow for harassment and this is not "people get what they wanted".
    Harassment that would not even allow to name the (invisible) harassing players. This is not what people would want or expect when going for a "quiet" server.

You can block the interaction between players by invisibility, but you cannot have a world that interacts with *all* players without one player seeing/suffering the consequences of a world that is currently interacting with another player.

The only option is an instanced world per player. Everything else would just end up in harassment and the need for moderation.

Elite Dangerous has a game mode that does this.

Most harassment in the game easily takes place through emotes. This is the most vulnerable part of the game.

The solution seems to be pretty easy: To find a way to deactivate emotes when they're directed at a specific player.

I mean no one being able to apply any emote or anything else to a player when in a "do not disturb" or "unavailable" state.

Why it's so hard for devs after all to do that in order to protect players from harassment? Especially when it's so difficult to make a report.

Otherwise we cannot really talk about "great community".
    Last edited by AegisRegnat; Mar 03 2023 at 05:49 AM.

Each person feels differently and sometimes more than others.

Sometimes we are in our high, sometimes in our low and sometimes a fast or slow mix of both.

This game has this natural escapade feeling and helps to do mental travel (when I'm stressed and I don't feel going out I love just walking in the game a few minutes or taking a long horse to nowhere, F12 and zoom all in).

This is not intended to me, but let me explain a bit why I think that this could be useful:

Long ago, when still there were a lot of LotRO servers (if you have seen that square with lamps in Michel Delving, well, each lamp was a server then) I was in a server called "Elendilmir", it was by far the quietest server (in English) of all. The experience there was still nice because when you saw someone was like a "Woah! Someone!", the auction house (in the last months) even got normal in prices and items, the chat was scarce but nice... Not bad, not bad at all </radagast>.

So, why not adding in "Social options" a "Quiet mode" where other players are not rendered in the game and you are fully invisible?

Maybe "All quiet", "Only friends", "No quiet" options?

Out of all chats?

Like a single-player-ish mode?
    This sounds like you want a layering system based on social options. This might be possible for those checking the same options but you couldn't be or your social group be in multi layers at the same time using a UDP protocol.

We've seen posts asking for something similar to this before, where players want a "sight-seeing" mode. The ability to move around the open world safely, no matter what level area they go to, compared to their own level.

A toggle to put a player into green mode, meaning they cannot be targeted, would satisfy both. It would be truly just for sight seeing, traveling etc though. No combat, because mobs could not target the player, nor could other players.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2