We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

So have lag improved?

So I quit over 6 months due to lag.
    Has it improved in any regard?
    I really want to return to this game since I think it is the best mmo in the market.
    The MSQ in FFXIV is too boring for me and it takes looooong time to complete.
    Not my type.
    But the frequency of lag and duration of it forced me to cancel my subscription.
    So has it improved in any way?
    Thanks for the info,
    Cheers

I'm playing on bele and i would say its getting worser. Some times in an instance my skills just lag for up to 30 seconds with nothing happens (no deaths, no skills, no damage, just the game is in pause modus).

Brace for some mixed signals here, but I've actually been lagging less!

During 2020/2021 I'd lag so hard I'd just top moving, but world chat would keep going; Angmar (as you probably know) used to have serious problems loading in and would happily give you a black screen while it hurriedly rendered the scenery you were supposed to be standing in.

I'm happy to say that neither of these things happens anymore (at least for me)
    - They've fixed Angmar's rendering/lag issue
    - Bree-land is less laggy
    - Moria is less laggy
    - Mordor's lag is almost 100% gone
    - Northern Mirkwood's lag is mostly gone
    - Gundabad is beautifully smooth
    - I haven't been frozen in-place while traveling, fighting, falling, etc since u34 launched

Don't get me wrong though, war-steeds still handle like a brick of steel on a ski; but that's become a meme/part of the clunky charm.
    I just use it as a rocket to go on a straight line very, very fast.

Minas Tirith is also still laggy if you crank your draw-distance up, mainly because it's rendering things you can't see (crates, carts, lamps, etc all inside the walls/every ring of MT even if they're blocked from view)
    The solution I had to that was dialing back the draw-distance to Med, and now I can move around the city like it was Bree.

My biggest barrier to diving back into LotrO wholesale is simply re-learning the Captain and having a job now.
    Hope this insight helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Sewedi View Post
    Its worse than 6 moths ago.

The good news though: the high amount of threads and comments on lag will make new people think twice, affecting the revenue which is the only way to get a message through to SSG (or well: any company failing to provide a service for that matter), frocing their hand at ramping up their efforts which clearly haven't led to anything so far.

So I quit over 6 months due to lag.
    I really want to return to this game since I think it is the best mmo in the market.
    The MSQ in FFXIV is too boring for me and it takes looooong time to complete.
    Not my type.
    But the frequency of lag and duration of it forced me to cancel my subscription.
    So has it improved in any way?
    Thanks for the info,
    Cheers
    i quit playing for the same reason little over 6 months ago,logged in yesterday to check out warden changes,spent my points in trait tree and then could barely move. when i could it was hitching and rubber banding. watched people stuck in the air while jumping and rubber banding around steepstep for about 5 minutes and i logged right back out. So i would say no the lag isnt better

The lag is worse than ever for a majority of the players.

The new delvings are a death trap, if you get hit by lag, even on low tiers. High tiers, is impossible, if you even have minor lag.
    The same goes for raids,. More players that band together, worse it gets.

Rubberbanding is more a rule than a occasional happening.
    Skill clicking is almost always effected by lag.

But have no fear, they have been working on it since 2020 and are aware of the problem. (insert random lol joke here)

Especially in bail avarc yesterday it was more then horrible. Opening the shared storage was like 1 minute before it shows up whats in.

Its a mess, really.
    Last edited by WorrBinpike; Mar 31 2023 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmies View Post
    i quit playing for the same reason little over 6 months ago,logged in yesterday to check out warden changes,spent my points in trait tree and then could barely move. when i could it was hitching and rubber banding. watched people stuck in the air while jumping and rubber banding around steepstep for about 5 minutes and i logged right back out. So i would say no the lag isnt better
    I quit for the same reason as well, I would come back every 3-4 months to see if anything ever changed, and the lag would always be worse then the months before. after doing this for many years, I finally gave up, removed it from the hard drive, and read here to see what others are saying, I'm waiting for the day that Everyone says there are major improvements, and lag is the normal once in a blue moon kind. I'm waiting, but not holding my breath.
    Cheesiepoofs Bane of Vilya

Quote Originally Posted by Aranaan View Post
    The new delvings are a death trap, if you get hit by lag, even on low tiers. High tiers, is impossible, if you even have minor lag.
    Doesn't server lag freeze everything (monsters included)? If you're lagging and monsters are still attacking and killing you, that's your connection, not LotRO.

That said, I'm still getting lag at peak hours, but when the spikes hit it doesn't last as long. We used to get repeated freezes over a long period but now it'll just freeze for a moment and then be back to normal. No that's not great but it's progress. I'm sure it also depends on your server.

Quote Originally Posted by Halphast View Post
    Doesn't server lag freeze everything (monsters included)? If you're lagging and monsters are still attacking and killing you, that's your connection, not LotRO.

That said, I'm still getting lag at peak hours, but when the spikes hit it doesn't last as long. We used to get repeated freezes over a long period but now it'll just freeze for a moment and then be back to normal. No that's not great but it's progress. I'm sure it also depends on your server.
    It is LOTRO's fault since I do not have any lag problems in other MMORPGs. I play ffxiv, wow, eso, and guild wars 2. In none of those games, I experience lag.

Overall it has been worse... at time... but at other times it has been fine. I seems to vary from person to person.
    Playing since 9/11/2006

It is LOTRO's fault since I do not have any lag problems in other MMORPGs. I play ffxiv, wow, eso, and guild wars 2. In none of those games, I experience lag.
    Other MMOs lag too. WoW lags all the time for me in world pvp if there's more than 10 players in one place for example.

That's not to say that Lotro's problem isn't particularly bad but, if the biggest MMO in the world can't solve lag it tells you something.

Quote Originally Posted by PreemptiveRegret View Post
    Other MMOs lag too. WoW lags all the time for me in world pvp if there's more than 10 players in one place for example.

That's not to say that Lotro's problem isn't particularly bad but, if the biggest MMO in the world can't solve lag it tells you something.
    WoW lag is 99% user end.
    The few if not the two times wow laged was on opening of the dark portal, and the portal to firle lands. But we speak about tousands players in one place.
    You cant even compare what we have here with other games.
    Maybe CLOSE to Cyrodil at prime times / 1000 players battle/ but not close enough

Quote Originally Posted by PIZDQK View Post
    WoW lag is 99% user end.
    The few if not the two times wow laged was on opening of the dark portal, and the portal to firle lands. But we speak about tousands players in one place.
    You cant even compare what we have here with other games.
    Maybe CLOSE to Cyrodil at prime times / 1000 players battle/ but not close enough
    Tell me you didn't play BFA without telling me you didn't play BFA. Battle for Nazjatar made Lotro look like Tetris running on a supercomputer.

I believe it is said that Lag is part of the Lore. It is a creation of Morgoth and It will exist until The Last Battle when Turin will arise from the dead to defeat Lag just before The End.

Then why is LotRO worse for you than others? If it's LotRO's fault it should be equally bad for everyone.

Then why is LotRO worse for you than others? If it's LotRO's fault it should be equally bad for everyone.
    It is not only me that are having this lag problem you know and if you looked on the internet there are a lot of threads, youtube videos complaining about the lag on top of that there are websites telling you how to fix lag in lotro.

It depends on the server, time of day, location in game, game systems running, network issues, a number of things cause lag at different times, at least it isn't constant and never ending, otherwise no one would even be trying to play, they do cause it isn't like that, but lag on and off, why some lag more then others I dunno, but its an issue for many players not just a few.

I myself rarely get much lag, then again I heard it from several players that Crickhollow has less lag then other servers, thats their experience.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

I get reduced awareness several times a day, inside instances, inside missions, on landscape, at my house. This game's performance has tanked in the last few years, got significantly worse after the issues in 2020. I know a lot of people who really don't want to log in anymore due to having a terrible experience just trying to get their items from a vault.

Idk, I'm happy for the handful of individuals who never have any lag issues to report. I dare say the majority of us struggle.

It is not only me that are having this lag problem you know and if you looked on the internet there are a lot of threads, youtube videos complaining about the lag on top of that there are websites telling you how to fix lag in lotro.
    You claimed LotRO's lag is LotRO's fault. I asked, if it's LotRO's fault then why do other people not have as much lag as you do? I didn't mean to imply you're the only person with lag.

From my perspective (EU player, good fiber, modest hardware and appropriate settings) lag and stutter definitely improved over the last 6 months. There are still bad spikes that can be very frustrating, but most of the times they are of limited duration, not a constant. Reduced Awareness as a standard feature of the game as we had after Gundabad launch is gone.

But lag is very population dependent. When the visible headcount get to around 900 the spikes get more frequent quickly. So lag is worse when most ppl want to play: around updates, new raids and festivals. The periods in between I find quite playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    It depends on the server, time of day, location in game, game systems running, network issues, a number of things cause lag at different times, at least it isn't constant and never ending, otherwise no one would even be trying to play, they do cause it isn't like that, but lag on and off, why some lag more then others I dunno, but its an issue for many players not just a few.
    I don't either and I'm kinda frustrated by that.

It is a fact that a part of the playerbase isn't much affected by 'lag'. So I would think that it is in the best interest of everyone to find out what might cause that difference, maybe we (or SSG) could learn something. Sadly, every time I or others tried to steer a lag thread into that direction it was derailed by the 'just blame SSG' and 'just buy better servers' types. I still think we could be able to help each other, if we can bring ourselves to do it.

I just want to make it clear that I'm not a tech, so please don't ask me any tech questions, all I know is turning on my comp, and running virus checker.

With that being said, with my old comp I was lagging big time, with everything from loading the game to managing my 5 bags. I bought both a new gaming laptop and desktop in February, and I "ALMOST" never have lag now. I emphasized "almost" because I occasionally run into a lag spike and have to relog.

I don't enough tech knowledge to say why I don't lag anymore, only that ever since I replaced my 5 year old machine, I don't have nearly the lag problems that I did before.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

You claimed LotRO's lag is LotRO's fault. I asked, if it's LotRO's fault then why do other people not have as much lag as you do? I didn't mean to imply you're the only person with lag.
    The amount of people from other area's around the world can lag out a server.
    the servers hosted in America weren't meant to host people living in Europe and Asia that causes stress on the server that some will notice while others don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast