We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Unlocking Swift Travel

If I create a level 1 character and leave him in the very first instanced tutorial area and log into that character while VIP, even just for a moment, will swift travel be unlocked for that character forever? Even when I revert back to Free to Play?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSol999 View Post
    If I create a level 1 character and leave him in the very first instanced tutorial area and log into that character while VIP, even just for a moment, will swift travel be unlocked for that character forever? Even when I revert back to Free to Play?
    Yes! And your account will never drop down to F2P. Once an account is VIP, even for just a month, it never drops below Premium status after that.

Do I have to finish the starting tutorial (the one I can skip)?

Do I have to finish the starter instance and get into the regular game world?

I posted this question on Steam as well as here and I am getting confused at what I actually need to do to ensure that every character on my account will have swift travel when VIP ends.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSol999 View Post
    Do I have to finish the starting tutorial (the one I can skip)?

Do I have to finish the starter instance and get into the regular game world?

I posted this question on Steam as well as here and I am getting confused at what I actually need to do to ensure that every character on my account will have swift travel when VIP ends.
    All you have to do is log the character in to the game. You don't have to finish the tutorial. You don't have to finish the introduction and enter the fully shared game world.

You can't just create the character and stop at giving it a name on the character creation/selection screen. The character has to be logged in. But only for a second, you can log right back out again.

The other thing that gets unlocked by logging in a character (even for a second) while the account is VIP is +30 inventory bag slots. So create a character, log it in, and check your bags. If you have the +30 inventory bag slots, you also have swift travel unlocked – and the character keeps both of those benefits for the rest of its existence.

I have no other way of proving this to you and you don't know me, I'm just some Internet rando. If you're getting different answers somewhere else hopefully another player will chime in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    All you have to do is log the character in to the game. You don't have to finish the tutorial. You don't have to finish the introduction and enter the fully shared game world.

You can't just create the character and stop at giving it a name on the character creation/selection screen. The character has to be logged in. But only for a second, you can log right back out again.

The other thing that gets unlocked by logging in a character (even for a second) while the account is VIP is +30 inventory bag slots. So create a character, log it in, and check your bags. If you have the +30 inventory bag slots, you also have swift travel unlocked – and the character keeps both of those benefits for the rest of its existence.

I have no other way of proving this to you and you don't know me, I'm just some Internet rando. If you're getting different answers somewhere else hopefully another player will chime in here.
    Unfortunately, I can't test the inventory thing as I purchased max inventory slots already.

And yes, I am being told elsewhere that I have to get out of the tutorial and get novice status on my character. So for a hobbit, that means finishing the shire area (which I can skip entirely by selecting the apporpiate option during character creation) and also getting through Archet. Only after getting through Archet and being teleported to Little Delving in the Shire will I then (apparently) get Swift Travel unlocked because only then will I actually be in the actual game and only then will I have novice status on my character.

I really hope someone else does chime in here. I do not really want to run multiple characters through the start of the game if I do not have to. I just want Swift travel unlocked and then I want to forget about these characters for the time being.

cdq1958 is offline Hero Of the Small Folk 2013
    If I am remembering correctly, VIP swift travel unlock happens as soon as you create a character and log in. That said, undiscovered ones will not open until you discover them, which requires being out of the tutorial and introduction. Entering the normal game world unlocks some starter area ones automatically.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.