We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Will we ever see a rework of the Legendary Items UI?

Current LI tab is just horrible, will we see a change to this? It feels clunky and scrolling doesn't really make it better.

I guess Legendary Tracker is in the same boat too.
    "Not all those who wander are lost....some are so stubborn that they always think they're going in the right direction."

"The 4th age is the store age" - Hetweith

istvana is offline Legendary forums 1st poster
    I am not sure just what parts of the interface you describe with the rather general terms "horrible" and "feels clunky". Can you be a bit more specific to let us all decide if we agree or disagree with how you would like the interface to be changed? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    I am not sure just what parts of the interface you describe with the rather general terms "horrible" and "feels clunky". Can you be a bit more specific to let us all decide if we agree or disagree with how you would like the interface to be changed? Thanks.
    The old LI panel, for all of its faults, at least made decent use of both dimensions. With this UI, it's just scrolling and scrolling. At least it's not horizontal scrolling (*cough*Reward Track*cough*).

I think it should be reimagined. Picture expandable/collapsible sections for each type of tracery, for instance (heraldric/craft/mastery/power). One option among many.

Sure.

For starters, you still cannot inspect other people's legendary weapons. This has been a thing since launch and its abysmal when you're trying to help someone. I believe the only one that works correctly is Brawlers.

Next, legendary items sometimes will not even fit into the screen cause it's so tall for no reason. Half of this information could be outright deleted and the other half could be condensed.

Opening a legendary item's tab shows this monstrosity, once again everything is stacked up in one column, you have to scroll for traceries. Why couldn't this be expanded a bit more to the sides instead so we have a better picture of everything in one clear tab?

No picture to show, but upgrading a traceries after a reforge is so tedious and tiring cause you have to:
    • Open the Legendary Item
    • Scroll down to the desired tracery (optional sometimes)
    • Drag an enhancement rune from inventory to the desired slot you want to upgrade
    • Confirm selection and how many you want to use.

Four steps per tracery. It feels tedious mostly because of how the UI looks and how it clearly doesn't fit the screen properly. At least they could've added a button next to the tracery that, once you click on it, immediately gives you the option to use traceries of different qualities, with sliders for the quantity of how many of each you wish to spend.
    "Not all those who wander are lost....some are so stubborn that they always think they're going in the right direction."

"The 4th age is the store age" - Hetweith

Quote Originally Posted by zipfile View Post
    Sure.

For starters, you still cannot inspect other people's legendary weapons. This has been a thing since launch and its abysmal when you're trying to help someone. I believe the only one that works correctly is Brawlers.
    How long has it been since the LI revamp? When you inspect a player it still shows a tab from the old Moria launch system.

The UI is indeed poor. Functional, yes, but very poor.

There should be a line or a different colour background to separate each type of traceries (Heraldy, Craft, etc.), there's way too much wasted space which makes the over-long UI even longer, and the colour of the traceries (yellow, purple, etc.) should be visible without having to bring up the tooltip.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Strider5548 is offline Legendary Hunter of Middle-earth
    Original Challenger of Jagger Jack
    The LI UI and the reward track UI are absolutely awful. I don't think I've come across a single person who likes either of them, but I wouldn't hold my breath...the new system has been out for a long time now, long enough that it feels like this is all we're getting.

I do hope that we see an update in the future that addresses UI more broadly. The LI UI is one thing, but the entire game's UI is badly outdated and nearly every aspect of it could use a complete overhaul. I'll just give a few examples:

-The reputation panel was great when we had less than 10 factions, now it's a horrid disorganized mess.
    -The raid locks window is extremely unintuitive and barely legible. The name of the instance isn't shown, and the boss names are so long for many of them you can't even see what tier you are locked out of.
    -The deed log is very outdated, we should have something similar to WoW's achievements log where you can see exactly how many deeds there are in each region, how many you completed, how many are left. The way you earn deeds should be smarter, and earning deeds unavailable on every server and for every character should be account-wide (I can write 20 pages on the deed log alone, will save that for another day).
    -The instance finder is fine for launching instances, but the find a group feature is incredibly confusing and I'm not sure a single person has ever had success with it.
    -The kinship panel leaves a lot to be desired, I know there are a few threads with detailed suggestions on added information that would be useful to have.

I'll stop here, but the list goes on and on.
    Servers: Treebeard | Arkenstone | Landroval
    Classes: Hunter | Champion | Loremaster | Warden | Beorning | Guardian | Captain | Burglar
    Creeps: Warleader | Reaver

Agreed that there is room for many improvements. I will give this small bit of praise for the LI interface - it is better than the rewards interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider5548 View Post
    I do hope that we see an update in the future that addresses UI more broadly. The LI UI is one thing, but the entire game's UI is badly outdated and nearly every aspect of it could use a complete overhaul. I'll just give a few examples:

-The reputation panel was great when we had less than 10 factions, now it's a horrid disorganized mess.
    -The raid locks window is extremely unintuitive and barely legible. The name of the instance isn't shown, and the boss names are so long for many of them you can't even see what tier you are locked out of.
    -The deed log is very outdated, we should have something similar to WoW's achievements log where you can see exactly how many deeds there are in each region, how many you completed, how many are left. The way you earn deeds should be smarter, and earning deeds unavailable on every server and for every character should be account-wide (I can write 20 pages on the deed log alone, will save that for another day).
    -The instance finder is fine for launching instances, but the find a group feature is incredibly confusing and I'm not sure a single person has ever had success with it.
    -The kinship panel leaves a lot to be desired, I know there are a few threads with detailed suggestions on added information that would be useful to have.

- Outdated, horrible, convoluted, confusing map system, that in no way conveys the geography and sense of the game world, and you can't see an actual continuous in-game world with quest tracker over it. (It's not even about different versions of things, like MT, but a general issue regarding resolution and presentation for main maps.)
    - Convoluted stable master UI, alphabetically sorted, no way to sort differently, too large lists not sorted in any intuitive way or by levels and/or regions.
    - No customizable UI elements (hide/off) and everything inconveniently tied to single F12.
    - Can't hide/disable chat.
    - Fonts are a nightmare.
    - No 4K support.
    - In-game videos and loading screens have tiny resolution. Smaller issue but could use an upscale/refresh nonetheless to be more tasteful.
    - Quest tracker could use more customizations, optionally.
    - Certain things, like XP disabler, or difficulty options, should be integrated in the UI.
    - Bag UI could use an upgrade and different control scheme, as well as vendor interactions, to make things easier than just classic mouse and drop and confirm click.
    - If they ever dream of legit Xbox controller support (or bah, console port), the UI control from NPC/object interactions to quest bestowal windows need to be set up a little differently, I guess.
    - Not just its UI but how deeds function/are handled could use a modern overhaul too, maybe untangle them and provide some smaller rewards for discovery of single PoI and treasure chests (like XP), and maybe make some of these on screen messages seem more exciting but get rid of the constant notification clutter popping up on the right.
    - Outdated UI windows need to be removed, maybe some consolidated (LI, relics), maybe some consolidated and presented more neatly (mounts and war steed outfits, outfits, traits and mount traits, collections, deeds).
    - The in-game store is bad, vey bad, needs an update, otherwise hard to convince people to spend money on fluff.
    - No way to preview the look of housing items/warsteeds, and cosmetic preview pretty tiny.

Everything in the game goes back to UI. I really don't need them to be making small fixes to individual things, waste of time. They need to modernize the whole thing somehow. I would take it over any crafting update any day, even if just 50% of that list became a reality.
    Last edited by TesalionLortus; Apr 02 2023 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PreemptiveRegret View Post
    How long has it been since the LI revamp? When you inspect a player it still shows a tab from the old Moria launch system.
    Almost two years since they switched out the LI systems.

Quote Originally Posted by zipfile View Post

There is so much wasted space in each of these images, it's unreal.
    For one, we DO NOT need the freakin' tracery images.
    The UIs can be stretched a bit to allow 2 columns of traceries easy so instead of having 13 lines of traceries, we could have 7.
    We can also do without the spaces in between each tracery slots and the spaces in between the tracery and the actual stats.

There really is no excuse for the detached tooltips.
    The same bug was present for some ILI's and obviously was not touched up with the new system.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider5548 View Post
    The LI UI and the reward track UI are absolutely awful. I don't think I've come across a single person who likes either of them, but I wouldn't hold my breath...the new system has been out for a long time now, long enough that it feels like this is all we're getting.

The fact the Hobby button exists is a constant source of hilarity. There's only 1 hobby and has been for like a decade, and no one cares about it. Why does this have such a prominent spot on the character panel?

Quote Originally Posted by PreemptiveRegret View Post
    The fact the Hobby button exists is a constant source of hilarity. There's only 1 hobby and has been for like a decade, and no one cares about it. Why does this have such a prominent spot on the character panel?
    Because it's been there from the start, just nothing new added to it. More hilarious is the Collections panel -sure, it's a nice fluff overview to have, but it loads long plus Stablemaster map is cluttered/convoluted mess, so hardly helpful. But it's fluff and many people will still just refer to the wiki about further details about barterers, currencies and such if they're looking for something specific to earn. So why does this one panel was shown so much care, able to be neatly resized but everything else suffers the 2007 fate and never touched?

"The fact the Hobby button exists is a constant source of hilarity. There's only 1 hobby and has been for like a decade, and no one cares about it. Why does this have such a prominent spot on the character panel?"

There is also only one reward track but we get the never-ending message that no reward track takes experience that we earn (at least until we sign up for the only one that exists at level 45 or higher).

There's also an utterly useless message "Progress was added to the reward track", but it never tells us if the reward track has gained a level.
    Who even thought anyone would need it, and why?

That's just a standard 'you have gained XP' message. What's non-traditional is that there's no number given.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

"The fact the Hobby button exists is a constant source of hilarity. There's only 1 hobby and has been for like a decade, and no one cares about it. Why does this have such a prominent spot on the character panel?"

There is also only one reward track but we get the never-ending message that no reward track takes experience that we earn (at least until we sign up for the only one that exists at level 45 or higher).
    SSG discuss new hobby few times in the past.

This annoying messages about reward track exp/no reward track exp MUST be disabled in settings, it's shame what SSG don't make that option available yet

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    SSG discuss new hobby few times in the past.

This annoying messages about reward track exp/no reward track exp MUST be disabled in settings, it's shame what SSG don't make that option available yet
    Pretty sure you can simply filter this off in your chat by unchecking "player advancement" messages, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Hephburz-2 View Post
    Pretty sure you can simply filter this off in your chat by unchecking "player advancement" messages, no?
    I could be wrong but i think mean the standard channel where it says "progress has been added to the reward track" nice but i don't need see that all the time, and turning off Standard isn't good cause that tells you when someone in your friends list has logged on or off.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

These are the sorts of things that you would see a company not wasting resources on IF they did not expect NEW customers to be coming to their game. I say that because your experienced customers already know how to get around and work with everything in your game enough that they can put up with some of the "bad" UI designs.

Thing is though, they are wrong if they think this game's populous is not growing with NEW customers. I know because as a Lotro streamer, I regularly get new people in my streams talking about how they are new to Lotro (or coming back after many years away) and asking me for tips on how to play the game and such.

Whether they realize it yet or not, the Rings of Power series has brought a whole new generation of MMORPG gamers to Lotro. I see it all the time when I stream.

If they don't take the time to clean up the UI and make it more user friendly soon, a lot of these NEW customers are going to be LOST customers. You only get one chance to hook a new player to your game.

On a side note, I have a regular on my stream that literally told me that he ended up buying the expansions, subscribing to VIP, and spending money on all sorts of stuff including carry-alls in game BECAUSE I took the time to teach him how to play the game and show him how to use the various systems like the Legendary Items system in my streams. He told me I should get paid by yall LOL. I'll be watching the mailbox for my payment SSG :P
    Pharone the Gnome
    Come watch me stream Lord of The Rings Online every night at https://twitch.tv/pharone
    Follow me on Twitter at @PharoneTheGnome
    Join my Discord server here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    I could be wrong but i think mean the standard channel where it says "progress has been added to the reward track" nice but i don't need see that all the time, and turning off Standard isn't good cause that tells you when someone in your friends list has logged on or off.
    SSG really should redirect reward track and crafting messages to player advancement.
    I won't filter general off because it's tied to your friends list activity logs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephburz-2 View Post
    No, you can't remove it by removing anything. And yes, we don't need remove general chat just because of that annoying messages

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    It's the Standard channel, but I sincerely hope that SSG won't consider it a "fix" to simply move it to the Advancement channel. The fundamental problem is that it's spam. For a character who qualifies for Reward Track, the only useful information it conveys is that the action you just performed, e.g. killing a mob within a certain level range of your own, is of a category that contributes to Reward Track. But this doesn't need to be repeated dozens or hundreds of times in the course of a play session. The few actions which fall into that category can be concisely enumerated/communicated in the description of Reward Track in the much-disparaged "claim" UI -- I have in a previous post suggested some replacement text.

For a character who does not qualify for the Reward Track, the message conveys no useful information whatsoever, and the use of the plural "reward tracks" engenders confusion over whether there are multiple Reward Tracks, since only one Reward Track has been observed thusfar. Was this a feature that was considered but abandoned? A feature in development? Or just a typo in the chat message?

All we need is a notification when a new Reward Track tier is attained. This would both increase the signal-to-noise ratio, as well as reduce the overall volume of chat traffic.