We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Copyright Questions Answered

nice post ...a simple solution to avoiding copyright infringement is to stick to works created in a time frame that corresponds ..ie those works that are generally recognized as public domain ..<ie anythin over 100 years old is public domain> youd be suprised at just how much music youll find ...<also works generated from the 1200 to 1600's fit the RP enviornment better>

Here's a question.
    Since Turbine has some of the rights to the LotR franchise (I assume this includes music), is reproducing songs from the LotR movies in-game via the music system, by the players, an infringement upon copyright?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000760fd/01005/signature.png]Aevric[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vraell View Post
    Here's a question.
    Since Turbine has some of the rights to the LotR franchise (I assume this includes music), is reproducing songs from the LotR movies in-game via the music system, by the players, an infringement upon copyright?
    Turbine has rights to books only (Hobbit and LOTR, no other books) not movies, so they have no rights to music.

Quote Originally Posted by durinsbane View Post
    Turbine has rights to books only (Hobbit and LOTR, no other books) not movies, so they have no rights to music.
    Its more like they have the right to create a mmo based on the works.

Quote Originally Posted by sactoking View Post
    How many college football fans do we have? Anyone ever watched the marching band halftime shows? Recognize the songs? I guarantee you they don't pay royalties. I was the drum major for the largest 100% student-run collegiate marching band in the nation and am intimately familiar with these issues, as we released a CD and had to deal with them. One of our songs, arranged off of a recording of a live concert, was never published on an album, so we were denied copyright permission. Obviously, we didn't lay that track down. All the others were fine.
    "Recognize the songs? I guarantee you they don't pay royalties."

I was under the impression that the hefty purchase of the score + reproducible parts for each instrument by an educational facility for the purpose of education, including how to perform (Performing Arts) removed said facility from having to pay royalties. At least that how it was when I was in school.

Now on the other hand, when i went to band camp during the summers, the public performances of CR material of course had royalties as well as our "remember your summer recordings" we usually bought at the end of the session because the performance was available to non camper related audiences and of course the recordings were distributed to anyone who wanted to buy them and were sold for a profit.
    Last edited by pipgup; Jun 21 2008 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by durinsbane View Post
    and yet the incorperate the songs from the movie into the in game music. Not to mention alot of the artwork is similar to stuff you see in teh movie. Weather top, Trolls,styles of Dress. That fancy Quiver Legolas uses. etc

Quote Originally Posted by Ferumac View Post
    and yet the incorperate the songs from the movie into the in game music. Not to mention alot of the artwork is similar to stuff you see in teh movie. Weather top, Trolls,styles of Dress. That fancy Quiver Legolas uses. etc
    Which songs from the movies did Turbine incorporate into this game?

Just watched FoTR again last night. Weathertop in the movie and Weathertop in this game bear no resemblence to each other. The version in this game is much better, in my opinion, than that in the movie.

Things may look and sound similar but that is not the same as an outright copy. After all trolls are all ugly and most everyone's version of one is similar. Mediaeval garb is all going to look similar. It is period fashion based on historical documents.
    Lifetime Founder

Lightbulb Re: Copyright Questions Answered

The music is pretty cool in the movie. Turbine did a good job with their music, but I wish they at least got the rights to Howard Shore's masterpiece(s)! The movie music just seems so rich and perfect for the times it was used in the movie. The Minas Morgul theme would fit perfectly with Carn Dum...sorta. A Knife in the Dark would be perfect for Book 5 chapter 8. "Osgiliath Invaded" would fit well for book 3 chapter 6 (or whichever was the one for Trestlebridge).

Maybe have a mix? They did a good job with the music for places like Goblin-Town and instances. Maybe during massive raids in the Moors have the "Siege of Gondor" playing?
    I just like the movie music is all, and their interpretations of Orcs, Gondorians, Ithilien Rangers, Rohirrim, Aragorn, Faramir, Gimli and the rest (John Rhys-Davies was awesome!)

Oh well too late now...still they did a good job with their music...

Watch out for Metallica, they're probably in game right now hunting down those who illegally play they're songs.

How do cover bands get away with it then lol they even get PAID to play other ppl's music
    Is it still considered in public if yer on a private copmpany's server?
    Last edited by buddahcjcc222; Mar 27 2009 at 02:04 PM.

In the case of bar bands, the establishment is paying a charge to one of the copyright offices that will gets distributed to all artist. thats why many bars and restaurants don't have live music. It's just another thing for them to pay.

Happy Birthday to You

In September 2015, a federal judge declared that the Warner/Chappell copyright claim to 'Happy Birthday' To You' was invalid, ruling that the copyright registration applied only to a specific piano arrangement of the song, and not to its lyrics and melody. In February 2016 Warner/Chappell settled for US $14 million and sent the song into the public domain.

Quote Originally Posted by countbuggula View Post
    I still assert that ABC songs fall under fair use as they are transformative and a small sample of the full copyrighted work.

We know the following is legal:

15 second recording clips of songs for preview purposes.
    Thumbnail images of full images in Google searches.

There are plenty more uses that fall under fair use including private performances, etc. You get the idea.

So how is stripping a song of its lyrics, harmonies, percussion, voice, instruments, etc. leaving a single note melody different? It is in no way a recording or full copy of the original. If played side by side they don't even begin to resemble each other. It's a sample, and it falls under fair use.
    Tell that to The Verve, who had to give up 100% of their royalties because they used a small sample of an orchestral arrangement of a previously useless and unknown Rolling Stones song in Bittersweet Symphony. Or to Robin Thicke who lost the suit with Marvin Gaye's family for Blurred Lines (which to me, sound nothing alike). Vanilla Ice vs. Queen/Bowie. Ray Parker Jr, sued over Ghostbusters by Huey Lewis, etc.
    However, I do need to point out that any song you play in LOTRO is more than likely NOT going to break into any Top 100 chart anywhere on the planet or make any real $$ whatsoever, the chances of getting sued over playing it here is about the same as Warner Bros suing you over naming your guardian character Bugs Bunny.

However, changing the lyrics while keeping the original music, and calling it a Parody, is a whole different game. Just ask Weird Al...
    So if I play a song, made into an .abc via a midi taken from the original music, and alter the lore-breaking lyrics into more LOTR leaning wording, while acknowledging the original authors if anyone asks, no one can sue me for it. It's parody.
    Evernight Vampire

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    Why was a thread from 8 years ago revived?
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    Why was a thread from 8 years ago revived?
    Because sticky threads are (unofficially) not bound to the same rules as other threads. Sticky threads tend to be a place where questions are asked/answered/discussed for many years. That's why they're stickied: They are important enough to stand out.

Examples of similar threads can be found:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...Reporting-Tool

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...review-Program

Stickies aren't "necro'd" as they remain on the front page 24/7
    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy
    Took me a few years, but I renewed my signature :)

Stolen Music?

Has anyone ever played Drakan: The Ancients Gate? I can't believe it took me this many years to realize that LOTRO has been using the music from it. Drakan: TAG came out in 2002, about 4-5 years before LOTRO was even out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3