We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Re: Game System: Tavern Revelries

/amazing post
    /salute
    /signed
    /grovel infront of devs

Rakhyt Taimondo
    Band of Brothers
    Landroval

Grand Job. I think it would be awesome. aha

Strider5548 is offline Legendary Hunter of Middle-earth
    Original Challenger of Jagger Jack

Quote Originally Posted by aethelberht View Post
    What concerns me is that this was posted in September, there have been two massive updates since (if you include Roheryn's beta Book 12), and there's no sign of anything remotely like it coming. (Which is basically what was promised by the Dev back in the fall, so doesn't really come as a surprise. Just a disappointment.)

This is a stellar idea, fleshed out, thought out, eminently reasonable, fully in keeping with the spirit of LOTR and community-building. It would be such a great addition to the game.

I'm trying to keep my grumbling down. I know to each his own. But jeez, I would have given an arm for something like this as opposed to more PvP and fighting Balrogs. I guess it's small wonder the taverns are empty when you can go kill a Balrog: Morgoth's own creatures of shadow and flame, one of which killed -Gandalf-, immortal heavenly spirit and keeper of one of the Elvish rings. Killed him. And yet now a raid can bring one down. What's next? In Book 13 will we be able to kill a Valar? Why not Uru himself? I'll bet he has some -SICK- drops.

Seriously, Turbine, think outside the box. Please! Levelling and getting shiny armour and promoting bash-fests between toon warriors, and killing bigger & bigger bosses is so.... ordinary. Middle-Earth is anything but ordinary.

- Harry
    Aethelberht, Hobbit Burglar Level 36
    Hoping to come out of holding pattern some day. Just don't make me kill more boars.

*clap* exactly my thoughts.

Thumbs up Re: Game System: Tavern Revelries

That is such a great idea

Hats off to Hayoo for all the work to detail this and the 'screenshots'

At last a reason for beer and pipeweed

As a dedicated Tavern League Member I can't wait for 'boatraces' at the tavern - 8 drinking actions in a row.

Best suggestion to date. Well thought out and explained - I will be *very* surprised if the dev's choose to take nothing from this brilliant idea

Agreed. This would be amazing, and would probide a practical combat use for pipe-weed and ale, without making such things "required" for everyone.

/sign
    /sign (ad infinitum)
    /sign
    [center][size=3][color=skyblue][b]Pelanel Holdinnan[/b][/color]- [color=violet][i]Lore-master[/size] (Scholar)[/i][/color]
    [i][color=orange]---------------------------------------[/color]
    [color=lightgreen]Guardians of Middle-Earth[/color][/i] [[color=gold]Landroval[/color]][/center]

Glad somebody bumped this back up or i would never have seen it.

Excellent ideas for the scholars/LMs. We need more craftables like this! Love it.

/signed and signed.

I know it has been said, but to OP: amazing! amazing!

Even if we never see it, it was an awesome read!

I hope we can see soemthing like that in the game!
    [COLOR=#ffffff][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000043a04/01007/signature.png]Elinthir[/charsig][/COLOR]

I think it's a really neat idea but I wouldn't want it to provide combat buffs. I don't want to get the 'feeling' that I have to go to a tavern everytime I'm going on a big adventure.

I'd much rather have this idea be implemented for more fun reasons. Maybe titles and deeds, but not 20 minute buffs.

I too desperately want more things to do in Taverns, but I want those things to be for when I am not in the mood for killing mob after mob. I want to go to Taverns for downtime and social time and fun time.

This idea sounds like it could be a lot of fun to get new titles and maybe virtue deeds. Something to just play around with while not out questing and fighting. To me, thats what this game needs more of, things to do besides fighting or things to prep you for fighting.

Great idea and well thought out, but my opinion would be to keep the combat buffs out, and just make it more for fun and titles/deeds.
    [COLOR=red]________________________________________________________________________________[/COLOR]

[CENTER][SIZE=1][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000002ed9/01005/signature.png]Berilac[/charsig][/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]Fight me I dare you [URL]http://berilac-burrows.mybrute.com[/URL][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Please get this in-game, this would be a great addition!

/sign 1000%
    StoneGaijin * PsychoGaijin * Gaijindor * Gaijindal * GaijinBorn * Gaijin * Milktoast * McLeary * ShadowStill
    Free Alliance
    Gladden

Quote Originally Posted by aethelberht View Post
    What concerns me is that this was posted in September, there have been two massive updates since (if you include Roheryn's beta Book 12), and there's no sign of anything remotely like it coming. (Which is basically what was promised by the Dev back in the fall, so doesn't really come as a surprise. Just a disappointment.)

This is a stellar idea, fleshed out, thought out, eminently reasonable, fully in keeping with the spirit of LOTR and community-building. It would be such a great addition to the game.

I'm trying to keep my grumbling down. I know to each his own. But jeez, I would have given an arm for something like this as opposed to more PvP and fighting Balrogs. I guess it's small wonder the taverns are empty when you can go kill a Balrog: Morgoth's own creatures of shadow and flame, one of which killed -Gandalf-, immortal heavenly spirit and keeper of one of the Elvish rings. Killed him. And yet now a raid can bring one down. What's next? In Book 13 will we be able to kill a Valar? Why not Uru himself? I'll bet he has some -SICK- drops.

Seriously, Turbine, think outside the box. Please! Levelling and getting shiny armour and promoting bash-fests between toon warriors, and killing bigger & bigger bosses is so.... ordinary. Middle-Earth is anything but ordinary.

- Harry
    Aethelberht, Hobbit Burglar Level 36
    Hoping to come out of holding pattern some day. Just don't make me kill more boars.
    I completely agree with you. It's all been said before, but Hayoo's original post contained the best ideas I've ever seen for a MMO. Ever. I have been an apologist for Turbine in the past, and I realize that there are some things that just can't be done due to cost, game mechanics, whatever... But still, Turbine keeps saying they want to know what types of things we want to see ingame. Well, look no further, guys. This is it, in some way shape or form, lets get this in the game. Seriously, if it was a choice between the ill-conceived time waste that is reputation or the revellry system, it's not even a contest.

Quote Originally Posted by swisskdl View Post
    I think it's a really neat idea but I wouldn't want it to provide combat buffs. I don't want to get the 'feeling' that I have to go to a tavern everytime I'm going on a big adventure.

I'd much rather have this idea be implemented for more fun reasons. Maybe titles and deeds, but not 20 minute buffs.

I too desperately want more things to do in Taverns, but I want those things to be for when I am not in the mood for killing mob after mob. I want to go to Taverns for downtime and social time and fun time.

This idea sounds like it could be a lot of fun to get new titles and maybe virtue deeds. Something to just play around with while not out questing and fighting. To me, thats what this game needs more of, things to do besides fighting or things to prep you for fighting.

Great idea and well thought out, but my opinion would be to keep the combat buffs out, and just make it more for fun and titles/deeds.

Yes, I agree. I wouldn't want to HAVE TO GO to the taverns before combat each time. I like your idea that tavern revelries start new virtue deeds, which then in turn would provide bonuses for combat when completed. To pevent people from quickly grinding the deeds at the tavern, the revelries could be on a cooldown timer (even if it is a short one).
    EDIT: Or simply prevent people to execute the same revelries at the same tavern in a row. That would forece me to travel to a least 2 different taverns on a regular basis. A nice idea for a deed would be to make people visit an number of different taverns all over Middle Earth to get the title XYZ the Tavern Expert (or so)........... /EDIT

It would be sooo nice to go to the tavern after a "long combat day" to relax and hang out and get some in-game benefits from it. The music system would benefit from it as well.....where a lot of people are, there is music and dancing as well..............
    Last edited by Germanator; Jan 30 2008 at 12:29 PM.

Yeah. I mean I've yet to see a serious criticism of this idea from anyone. It seems that this idea is supported - vociferously - by 99% of people who see it. I mean it doesn't have to be precisely this idea, as long as the core concept is added to the game in some form - even a cutback version would add much needed social interaction in taverns.

If Turbine ignores this idea I believe it will be a serious error. As I see it this idea is quite literally genre defining. It has the potential to take MMORPGs to the next level in their evolution, and as an earlier poster said, if Turbine doesn't pick up on it, someone else will. Turbine's developers need to ask themselves if they can afford to pass up the additional revenue that will come from making the first truly social MMORPG.

It seems to me that MMOG developers have toyed with social aspects in games like this, but in general they have a laissez faire attitude towards it, believing that the invisible hand of the free market will cause social interaction to rise all by itself, but years have gone by and it's never happened. Oh sure, there are tiny groups, but they tend to build themselves OUTSIDE the game when friends play together. The problem is that strangers don't tend to socialize in online games - they just don't. Either their time for play doesn't coincide with the people they meet, or they get bored with a game too quickly, or they are too shy to really put themselves out there for others. What's needed is a game mechanism that nudges people together so that they have an incentive to socialize, and in my view this idea, or something like it, is the perfect solution.

Sadly though, in nearly twenty years of gaming I've seen many great ideas like this sidelined. It seems to me that great ideas take ten years or more to make it through all the filters between fans and the developers. I think this idea may be no different. It could be 2020 before we see games that feature a social mechanism that really works. It's very sad that gaming development moves at a glacial pace, but it's a fact of life I'm afraid. In 2020 some game designer will recycle this idea and he'll be proclaimed the new gaming genius. Until then I fear we'll be stuck with the tired old systems that don't work, but that developers and designers are comfortable with.
    Last edited by Beery; Jan 30 2008 at 12:38 PM.
    Nemo nascitur artifex.

I too generally like this idea.

As originally presented, there are some ties to combat buffs, implying going to the tavern before going questing. Wouldn't partying at a tavern before going into combat actually serve as a de-buff? ;>)

Other thoughts - perhaps there are some game mechanics into which it could be tied:

1. XP - after quests (or certain quests) going to a tavern and performing a revelry could provide an XP boost

2. Rep - Rep can be kind of a grind. But there do seem to be taverns in most of the parts of the world where rep can also be accrued (except for maybe the elves - they're so stodgy). Perhaps Tavern Revelry-ing could impact reputation. Such as people saying, "Hey - that hobbit is a pretty hoopy frood who really knows where his towel is." (or, uh, something more lore appropriate).

Obviously different revelry maneuvers can unlock different bonuses. Maybe some could even unlock some cool NPC quests or items - who wants to wear a lampshade?

I know I have some humor in this post. But I really do like the idea. Please don't read my humor as taking away from my love of the idea.

Wilborough / Sylenthial / Neecruzher (on Elendilmer)

This idea is crazy awesome.

Though the Pony might start to get a little crowded, it would totally be worth it. (and would look more like the Pony should!)

Quote Originally Posted by Beery View Post
    Yeah. I mean I've yet to see a serious criticism of this idea from anyone. It seems that this idea is supported - vociferously - by 99% of people who see it. I mean it doesn't have to be precisely this idea, as long as the core concept is added to the game in some form - even a cutback version would add much needed social interaction in taverns.

If Turbine ignores this idea I believe it will be a serious error. As I see it this idea is quite literally genre defining. It has the potential to take MMORPGs to the next level in their evolution, and as an earlier poster said, if Turbine doesn't pick up on it, someone else will. Turbine's developers need to ask themselves if they can afford to pass up the additional revenue that will come from making the first truly social MMORPG.

It seems to me that MMOG developers have toyed with social aspects in games like this, but in general they have a laissez faire attitude towards it, believing that the invisible hand of the free market will cause social interaction to rise all by itself, but years have gone by and it's never happened. Oh sure, there are tiny groups, but they tend to build themselves OUTSIDE the game when friends play together. The problem is that strangers don't tend to socialize in online games - they just don't. Either their time for play doesn't coincide with the people they meet, or they get bored with a game too quickly, or they are too shy to really put themselves out there for others. What's needed is a game mechanism that nudges people together so that they have an incentive to socialize, and in my view this idea, or something like it, is the perfect solution.

Sadly though, in nearly twenty years of gaming I've seen many great ideas like this sidelined. It seems to me that great ideas take ten years or more to make it through all the filters between fans and the developers. I think this idea may be no different. It could be 2020 before we see games that feature a social mechanism that really works. It's very sad that gaming development moves at a glacial pace, but it's a fact of life I'm afraid. In 2020 some game designer will recycle this idea and he'll be proclaimed the new gaming genius. Until then I fear we'll be stuck with the tired old systems that don't work, but that developers and designers are comfortable with.

seriously, if turbine doesn't implement this, I will once I get into game development. This is the fix to a problem that has been in EVERY MMO to date. Games like EQ1 and Ultima Online were better because people were more patient, less distracted, and tended to RP. Nowadays all you have are grinders and farmers, why not use this to bring everyone back together in the taverns to have a real mmoRPG

This is a great, very original idea.

I have questions about how it could be integrated into the game without unbalancing things. But that's just a detail to work out like any other.

Not knowing much about how game companies approach that sort of thing, the amazing originality of the idea may unfortunately be its undoing.
    Because it is so original, it could be viewed from a legal point of view as worthy of intellectual property protection. Thus, if Turbine uses it without explicit license, there could be liability vis-a-vie its creator.

As far as why it's taking so long is concerned....even if the Dev's picked this up right away, one can imagine that, to do it right, there would probably need to be a lot of development work put into it. I assume that no one would want this to be just be a bunch of people standing around blankly staring at each other and clicking on circles on their screen. Instead, I can imagine it would be a lot better with unique, appropriate animations. More importantly, there would need to be significant balancing figured out. For instance, the last thing you'd want is for these buffs to make the existing raid content a total cake-walk. On the other hand, it needs to be beneficial enough for people to want to bother. Those things take time.
    Last edited by rikilii; Jan 30 2008 at 11:59 PM.
    “Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”

Wow .. this idea is so creative and brilliant.

I can see it now .... fellowships partying at a tavern before a big fight. Subtle timed buffs applied to boost morale and hope(raids would do this all the time). Not a requirement but a nice addition. Promotes social interaction. But there needs to be an option to participate or just pass by so your not forced into it.

These sort of things are what I think of when i think of hobbits and dwarves and lord of the rings.

/signed

Again, this is a beautiful idea, and would make a lovely addition to the game.

Just like in the LOTR books, where Aragorn and the Hobbits stopped at the Prancing Pony before heading off to Rivendell, and then the Fellowship of the Ring rested and enjoyed themselves in Rivendell before their great adventure.

Raids could organize in towns and taverns, relax and enjoy the merriment, and then race off to the raid. Hunters could port everyone to the right campfire after the revelry was done, or they could ride out on horseback together. (now, that would be a grand sight to see, a 24-man raid riding out of Bree in unison )
    [center][size=3][color=skyblue][b]Pelanel Holdinnan[/b][/color]- [color=violet][i]Lore-master[/size] (Scholar)[/i][/color]
    [i][color=orange]---------------------------------------[/color]
    [color=lightgreen]Guardians of Middle-Earth[/color][/i] [[color=gold]Landroval[/color]][/center]

This is just an absolutely brilliant, well thought out idea. Heck, its almost completely infallible! I would really like to see this implemented soon.

/signed
    /signed under a different name

.../signed
    [color=green][I]"I'm full of myself and proud of it!"[/I][/color]
    [color=red]Gazkhuul - Rank 9 Reaver of Elendilmir - Founder of Legion[/color]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000001990fd/01003/signature.png]Gaztares[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Davids_Sling View Post
    Again, this is a beautiful idea, and would make a lovely addition to the game.

Just like in the LOTR books, where Aragorn and the Hobbits stopped at the Prancing Pony before heading off to Rivendell, and then the Fellowship of the Ring rested and enjoyed themselves in Rivendell before their great adventure.

Raids could organize in towns and taverns, relax and enjoy the merriment, and then race off to the raid. Hunters could port everyone to the right campfire after the revelry was done, or they could ride out on horseback together. (now, that would be a grand sight to see, a 24-man raid riding out of Bree in unison )
    Never thought of it that way, another brilliant usage of this posters suggestion.

This is a really great suggestion...I'm gonna have to say /signed

I really love this concept. I am a drinker in game and in life So, having this type of RP with benefits certainly is "beneficial". I do think that the buffs used on the revelry shud be tweaked a little and can be used for cool special effects in tavern but not just for combat.

However, this concept should be implemented in the game, not only this will bring a social gathering to a whole new level, this will be giving a rise how suggestions from players bring in the devs and consumers together to make the game a whole. Making that true partnership of those two can make this game last further than 5 years.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001175c9/01001/signature.png]Baduc[/charsig]

Jason

Thanks, everyone. Your comments are most appreciated.

Smile Re: Game System: Tavern Revelries

WOW This is the best thought-out suggestion i seen on the Suggention Forums.

/supersigned
    Hi!

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast