We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pit of Iron

Pit of Iron

I need to kill some mobs at the Pit of Iron. Though every time I get up, I fall through the wood and die... I simply cannot get there. Its like a little bit of rubberbanding and fall through the floor. Ridiculously annoying!
    Lieutenant Altarias, Swift Executioner
    Warden

Master-at-arms Aristaer, the Unwise
    Rune-keeper healing

Sergeant-at-Arms Flambras, King of the Mountain
    Burglar

All fighting with his Shield Brothers on [EN-RP] Laurelin.

And from the Great Eye,

Chief Guard Lalonir Qenonac of Memento Mori

Re: Pit of Iron

I reported this in beta, but oh well. The holes in the floor in that place are extremely aggravating. To get where you are trying to go, you might need to go through the portal down by where you found the bucket of water. If you have gone through the whole quest line and are trying to get to the last guy, you should know the bucket of water that I am talking about. Other than that, run the long way.

I managed after 4 different routes and all 2 tries, but I got it done now
    Lieutenant Altarias, Swift Executioner
    Warden

Master-at-arms Aristaer, the Unwise
    Rune-keeper healing

Sergeant-at-Arms Flambras, King of the Mountain
    Burglar

All fighting with his Shield Brothers on [EN-RP] Laurelin.

And from the Great Eye,

Chief Guard Lalonir Qenonac of Memento Mori

I've died twice plummeting through the planks - is there a way around this? I can't find anything about the route that *doesn't* kill you.

I have found that staying on the tracks where you can helps a lot.
    Melliot - Hobbit Hunter and many alts :)

In beta, there were a couple of spots that I just couldn't get past no matter what I tried. Now, I was able to find alternative routes to those areas, but I couldn't go make it there by going through where I kept falling. My main problem was getting to the Overseer. I finally found that I was able to get to his area by going through the portal down by the bucket of water.

Quote Originally Posted by tjoeman01 View Post
    I have found that staying on the tracks where you can helps a lot.
    This. Also, aggro often is the cause of falling through. If you aggro a mob and it falls through, often times you'll fall, too. If you learn a fall-through location, you can often jump over it, especially if you're on a goat.

There are a few places that are guaranteed fall spots regardless. They are all on wood, and are as follows:
    *The ramp down from the start, just below where the wooden platform splits, part going up, and part going down. There is a mob pathing here.
    *The wooden platforms on the mountain in the middle. The ramp going down to the goblins on this mountain, you'll fall through at the base of the ramp.
    *Also, if you decide to ascend the mountain further instead by turning to the left, when you finally turn back to your right, at the very top of the ramp, you'll fall through.
    *If you try to get to the overseer area at the far top corner, left of the entrance to the zone, the ramp going up has a fall-through point almost right at the top end of it, for maximum killing and annoyance efficiency.
    *If you leave that area along the highly elevated rails, there's a fall point as soon as you get to a wooden tower holding the whole thing up.
    Last edited by Reillan; Sep 30 2011 at 02:49 PM.

At least you can get the quests. I did the dwarf quest that is supposed to lead to Pit of Iron but the axe you pick up to start the quest chain is not there for me. I've thoroughly explored all of the zone and I am stuck at 5/30 Heathfells quests.

Quote Originally Posted by TimorousBalrog View Post
    At least you can get the quests. I did the dwarf quest that is supposed to lead to Pit of Iron but the axe you pick up to start the quest chain is not there for me. I've thoroughly explored all of the zone and I am stuck at 5/30 Heathfells quests.
    I am in the same boat.

Have been told by multiple people that to pick up the Pit of Iron quests, I must do the quest line that completes by defending the dwarf on top of the rock. I have done this, but still can't see/pick up the quest item to start the Pit of Iron. I've checked every camp in the Heathfells and see no rings - why can't I pick up the quest?

I have quests not showing up in my completed quest log that I know for a fact I did. I have a total of 5 quests + an instance showing up in the completed quest log when a friend has a total of 34 heathfell quests. There is something buggy with my character, my kinmate's character, and evidently others as well.
    [CENTER][COLOR="Orange"][I][SIZE="1"]This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between searches. Please try again in 55 seconds.[/SIZE][/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

You should be well past 5/30 when you start the Pit of Iron. You need to defend the main hill in the Heathfells against the Dundelings before you start Pit of Iron. Once you defend the hill, you are given a clue about the dwarf and can find an object at the entrance to the Pit of Iron.
    Pineleaf Needles,

Skirmisher Director for LOTRO Players.

Remember to skirmish responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by RaleyD View Post
    You should be well past 5/30 when you start the Pit of Iron. You need to defend the main hill in the Heathfells against the Dundelings before you start Pit of Iron. Once you defend the hill, you are given a clue about the dwarf and can find an object at the entrance to the Pit of Iron.
    You should be at roughly 18/30 when you tart the pit of iron.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

I too am at 5/30, have finished every quest I could find in Dunland/Gap, including the 'defend the dwarf' thing. Have found no item to pick up. Only quests I haven't done are two in Nan Curunir and the Pit quest. Is there some other quest starter we are completely missing to get to the 18 mark you guys mentioned?

**Update - thanks to the person who mentioned the quest from the Master of Beasts or Hounds or whatever; I had skipped the Herald quest somehow, went back and got the quest item from that guy and started the hilltop battle series. Now am on my way to start Pit of Iron. Thanks!
    Last edited by amazon80; Oct 02 2011 at 11:50 PM.

You need to do several quests at the Rohirrin camp at the Fords of Isen.
    Pineleaf Needles,

Skirmisher Director for LOTRO Players.

Remember to skirmish responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by amazon80 View Post
    I too am at 5/30, have finished every quest I could find in Dunland/Gap, including the 'defend the dwarf' thing. Have found no item to pick up. Only quests I haven't done are two in Nan Curunir and the Pit quest. Is there some other quest starter we are completely missing to get to the 18 mark you guys mentioned?

**Update - thanks to the person who mentioned the quest from the Master of Beasts or Hounds or whatever; I had skipped the Herald quest somehow, went back and got the quest item from that guy and started the hilltop battle series. Now am on my way to start Pit of Iron. Thanks!
    Hi there... same here... stuck at 5/30. I have completet the master of beasts but never have gotten the herald quest... from witch mob does the item drop that I need for continuing quests?

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

We're currently working on a fix for this. Because the issue involves game physics it's a bit more complicated than some of the other 'holes' we've had in the past so the fix isn't as straight forward as you might think. Our expectation is that we'll have this addressed in our next patch. Unfortunately I don't have an ETA.

Oh, what a relief, to hear that this will likely be fixed in a patch, rather than having to wait until December (or worse, having the space closed altogether instead!)

Thanks, Sapience!

I am also in the same boat (5/30) and no axe on the ground. I rode around for 3 hours last night while a +20% quest xp accelerator evaporated before my eyes.
    So, Sapience, there is no fix for this in the near term? The answer is just to grind dailies and skirmishes for my last level? Deplorable at best.

I opened a ticket on this issue last night and I got the usual customer-friendly response of "sorry, we can't help in matters that advance quests or deeds, enjoy the game..."

Well, I've played since closed beta and done a lot for turbine in providing feedback et. al., if this is truly the answer then my time with the game may be over with.

Yeah, I am frustrated!
    Last edited by Ornaith; Oct 04 2011 at 08:16 PM.
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r11 Mini < RETIRED // ACTIVE > Ursamajor Beorn // Babayaga LM // Kleptomania Burg // (Anor)

You need to to do the questline that sends you to Tor Baran (sp?) once that instance is completed the Captain will tell you that a dwarf headed to a cave in the NE. The axe pick should be on the ground on there

And how do you start the quest line for Dol Baran? I am also stuck at 5/30, but have seen and helped the dwarf with the cave in. I think those of us that have bugged the game somehow. Not fun.

Helping the dwarf wont automatically get you access to the quests to the pit of iron. I believe you have to start at the rohirrim camp, do the quests that send you to the isendale, the isen, heathfells, then another camp on the east side of the map (can't remember the name). once you've done all the quests, you'll get the battle of dol baran quests. once those are complete then u can head to the pit of iron.

Though I dont see why anyone is in a rush to get there..place is full of bugs and is liable to make u rage quit like I did earlier in the day

FOUND A SOLUTION!

I had the same problem, you are missing out on about 25 quests (including the battle for Dol Baran, which is so well done it should be a daily) and some in the pit if iron. I read about this issue in another thread and decided to test a theory and I was correct.

Most of you are probably not getting the drop that starts the quest "the herald" from the houndmaster quest. I had the same problem.

Here is what I did wrong:
    I am an LM, I saw the two hounds as aggroable and the houndmaster was not, so I pulled the dogs away from him, killed them and regrouped to aggro the boss. Big mistake. By aggroing the boss with a skill at range a period of time AFTER I killed the dogs I screwed something up, so when I killed him the item that starts the herald quest never dropped.

Here is what I did right:
    I went after that guy again last night but this time I aggroed the dogs right next to him, killed the dogs and let him aggro on me (that's the key), burnt him down and sure enough - there was the item to start the next quest in the chain.

Give that a shot, I think that is where most folks in the heathfells are having issues.

Good luck and please report your findings back, turbine has been no help at all with the tickets I have opened, so lets help each other!
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r11 Mini < RETIRED // ACTIVE > Ursamajor Beorn // Babayaga LM // Kleptomania Burg // (Anor)

Quote Originally Posted by Irin19 View Post
    FOUND A SOLUTION!

I had the same problem, you are missing out on about 25 quests (including the battle for Dol Baran, which is so well done it should be a daily) and some in the pit if iron. I read about this issue in another thread and decided to test a theory and I was correct.

Most of you are probably not getting the drop that starts the quest "the herald" from the houndmaster quest. I had the same problem.

Here is what I did wrong:
    I am an LM, I saw the two hounds as aggroable and the houndmaster was not, so I pulled the dogs away from him, killed them and regrouped to aggro the boss. Big mistake. By aggroing the boss with a skill at range a period of time AFTER I killed the dogs I screwed something up, so when I killed him the item that starts the herald quest never dropped.

Here is what I did right:
    I went after that guy again last night but this time I aggroed the dogs right next to him, killed the dogs and let him aggro on me (that's the key), burnt him down and sure enough - there was the item to start the next quest in the chain.

Give that a shot, I think that is where most folks in the heathfells are having issues.

Good luck and please report your findings back, turbine has been no help at all with the tickets I have opened, so lets help each other!
    That's odd because I did the opposite. I aggroed the dogs, killed em, then aggroed the hound master and killed him and got the drop. I guess it works for some and for other it doesnt....

and the battle of Dol Baran was indeed a fun time!

I wanted to point out that if you do finish the quest at the top of that mountain, then go fight for that dwarf on top of a cave, you might try looking for the quest starting item on the ground near the entrance to the Pit of Iron, which is north of the Rohirrim camp that sits near the river. Riding north of that camp, then making a left up the hill will get you near that entrance and there was a piece on the ground there (though I would have thought it would have been RIGHT next to the dwarf I helped collapse the tunnel). Weird.

This has been more or less pointed out in this thread, but the whole quest line that activates the dwarven pick outside of the Pit of Iron starts with the Hound Master. You have to kill some of the hounds outside of the Rohirrin camp to get a drop that starts the quest to kill the hound Master. That rather lengthy quest lines is the one that leads to the battle on top of the hill. You get pointed to the Pit of Iron and the dwarf after that battle. Until you complete that whole line of quests, it will not activate.

Just wanted to add a little tip that seemed to help my kinmate and I get through Pit of Iron in its problematic state.. when running along rails, everytime we saw a line dividing pieces, we jumped over it...

Weirdly it seemed to help prevent falling...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921e0000001cbb3e/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Noruivae - 65 Elf Guardian, Areilanor - Elf Lore-Master, Ithilbereth - Elf Rune-Keeper
    Mortaedis - Elf Champion, Lenfaer - Elf Hunter, Eryntheliel - Elf Warden
    -----------------------------
    Orelon - Trainee Elf Minstrel, Nimraewen - Retired Elf Guardian
    Eoflaed - Woman Captain, Naellyra - Hobbit Burglar

Could you guess I like elves? ;)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast