We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

No notes until the day of launch?

Tomorrow is the extended downtime and an update. We get no preview of notes. That makes me nervous. What are they going to ruin, "for the long term health"....and make sure those of us that have spent the most money in this game over time can't prepare? Am I being paranoid?

First :

LOTRO
    @lotro
    ·
    4h
    Downtime Notice: Wednesday, October 12th 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT)

The LOTRO game worlds will be unavailable on Wednesday, October 12th from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) for our regular weekly restart. Thank you, and we will see you back in the game soon!

1h later :

LOTRO
    @lotro
    ·
    3h
    LOTRO has an updated maintenance window.

The LOTRO game worlds will be unavailable on Wednesday, October 12th from 5:00 AM - 2:00 PM Eastern (-6 GMT) for extended maintenance and to release Update 33.2.2. The release notes will be published on Wednesday.

HOPE you guys know what are you doing....

And as OP said, would be nice if we get patch notes in advance.
    (must be hell of a changes considering 9h downtime ...)

Thanks.

One thing that I noticed is that it is Tybur posting the notice. The only time I noticed Cordovan not post it before was when he was away, whether he was on vacation or ill. Considering this, patch notes are usually delayed as well since it indicates someone unavailable.

There are a couple of other things to note. The extended maintenance is not your typical weekly time-span. There's also the notion that they are being extra careful with the patch notes. Cordovan personally stated that it is typical to either have the patch notes up the day before or the day of a patch. Either they are still trying to finish some adjustments, trying to get accurate data, or someone hasn't gone around to collect it yet. That doesn't exclude the idea that there is something they are "hiding" from the general public, but it does offer some reasonable theories.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdJedi View Post
    That doesn't exclude the idea that there is something they are "hiding" from the general public, but it does offer some reasonable theories.
    Last time they did this was when they remove rep boosters from skirm camps.
    I hope they didng f.k up the deeds or smth like that ....
    Extra careful you say ? When you are extra careful, yoi dont post first a restart, then 1h later change it with 9h meintenance.
    Looks fishy to me. Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by onor View Post
    Tomorrow is the extended downtime and an update. We get no preview of notes. That makes me nervous. What are they going to ruin, "for the long term health"....and make sure those of us that have spent the most money in this game over time can't prepare? Am I being paranoid?
    ssg giveth ... and ssg taketh away ..
    Updates don't bring the same joy and anticipation they once did :/

It's a x.x.2 update so I don't expect much of a patch.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

I agree with WeirdJedi - with Cordovan not shepherding the release notes thru review and approval process, it's probably just taking longer than usual to finalize them. And whether we get the notes the day before, or the day of, I don't think it makes any difference - the update will be the same.

Frisco is offline Hero Of the Small Folk 2013
    Hopefully the extended downtime is to add in 2h Champion Great Club LIs/proficiency and to fix some of the bugged Hobbit LM/Champ animations.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

Quote Originally Posted by Chirrup View Post
    And whether we get the notes the day before, or the day of, I don't think it makes any difference - the update will be the same.
    4000-20000 reputation tomes for ppl who didnt go to bed and read the note which was released at late hour/hours before update go live vs 0 rep accelerator tomes for ppl who didnt read it, and miss their chance to pile up.
    I think this is a huge diference. But ye, for you it may be MEH

I have to say, this makes me nervous too, after the rep tomes fiasco, and I managed to spend down on that.

It's probably just a case of Cordovan being absent, hopefully, but, it doesn't harm to take some precautions I guess. Skirm camp visit to spend down a bit this morning. Anything valuable will do, rep items, removal scrolls etc.

Can't do much about deeds in the timeframe though, other than maybe get them started.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

Half a decade ago, such a long downtime - especially over the course of a working day - meant a change of the server architecture. I would all be in for it, if it put an end to this lag nightmare.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Awkward Anomalities Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Elderslade under attack!

Scared people tend to follow the flock, no matter which shepherd it has

time zones

The time thing is a bit confusing, we are 12 hours ahead of EST and the notice says from 5am till 2pm. it has just passed 3 pm here and the game is down already.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaosarchibald View Post
    The time thing is a bit confusing, we are 12 hours ahead of EST and the notice says from 5am till 2pm. it has just passed 3 pm here and the game is down already.

Just loged in/ game is stil up m8

It should be up for another two and a half hours, at least here on Landroval.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Awkward Anomalities Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Elderslade under attack!

Scared people tend to follow the flock, no matter which shepherd it has

Quote Originally Posted by PIZDQK View Post
    4000-20000 reputation tomes for ppl who didnt go to bed and read the note which was released at late hour/hours before update go live vs 0 rep accelerator tomes for ppl who didnt read it, and miss their chance to pile up.
    I think this is a huge diference. But ye, for you it may be MEH
    To this day this still makes me sick. No, in light of the great problems in the world, it's not a big deal that I couldn't use my thousands of marks and meds for these tomes. But when I had problems last weekend finishing the Gundabad 90K rep just to prevent spoiling the capped coins (you need to finish the last rep tier to be able to hand in 100 coins for 500 embers), I got angry again about this plain evil move to give notice as late as possible. At the very least they could've just NOT tell it at all, levelling the playing field for all players!

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    I have to say, this makes me nervous too.
    I am concerned as well but not because they may be doing something shifty but because extended downtime at times does not go to plan and ends up being EXTENDED extended downtime. Not giving much advance notice for extended downtime quite usual and so these days it is best to view anything that needs to be completed weekly to mean thur to tues rather than wed in case the metaphorical spanner goes into the works on a Wednesday whether they are doing the "restart", "maintenance" or "patching". They may also change the day they are having downtime one week with little notice, as they did recently after such a long-time having downtime on a wed suddenly, I discovered "by Thorin's Beard" the game had downtime Tuesday. So sadly, the will at times be people who are up late enough to see the notice about changes to react to those changes where others may lose out in some way or another and at times that lose out is nasty like those rep tomes.

It is also not necessarily to do with content update but something architectural which they may or may not either tell us about or if they do they may not fully explain and maybe it is nuances of what to put in the notes that is causing a bit of a delay for those coming out. Or as has been mentioned the person or persons required to write the notes is has been unavailable the past two days.

Now fingers-crossed their downtime goes to plan and does not cause the fest to start with a bump, or no more than a hobbit-bump in the night as they search for more Harvestmath candy because 1st breakfast is just too darn far away .
    Last edited by Urthound; Oct 12 2022 at 05:28 AM.

ssg thief

I don't care how long it takes, just give me my mini back the way it was! I have them on most servers and did not make them so SSG could just nuke them because some creep didn't like being stopped sometimes.

Maybe because there is supposed to be a producers letter coming up they had less time with the notes, combined with Cord being away. Still no excuse, but wouldn't worry to much.

The launcher now has notes -

Downtime Notice: Wednesday, October 12th 5:00 AM - 2:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT)
    Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:16:00 -0700
    The LOTRO game worlds will be unavailable on Wednesday, October 12th from 5:00 AM - 2:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) for our regular weekly restart. Thank you, and we will see you back in the game soon!

No mention of an update and downtime of 9 hours for a restart!! Do they have to clean the bytes by hand now?

Quote Originally Posted by Nostro44 View Post
    The launcher now has notes -

Downtime Notice: Wednesday, October 12th 5:00 AM - 2:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT)
    Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:16:00 -0700
    The LOTRO game worlds will be unavailable on Wednesday, October 12th from 5:00 AM - 2:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) for our regular weekly restart. Thank you, and we will see you back in the game soon!

No mention of an update and downtime of 9 hours for a restart!! Do they have to clean the bytes by hand now?
    They updated it 1h after this post. From restart to meintenance. Whatever they do, i hope it wont take more than 9h
    Its a festival day, rest doesnt matter

Quote Originally Posted by Bragolos View Post
    To this day this still makes me sick. No, in light of the great problems in the world, it's not a big deal that I couldn't use my thousands of marks and meds for these tomes. But when I had problems last weekend finishing the Gundabad 90K rep just to prevent spoiling the capped coins (you need to finish the last rep tier to be able to hand in 100 coins for 500 embers), I got angry again about this plain evil move to give notice as late as possible. At the very least they could've just NOT tell it at all, levelling the playing field for all players!
    Also missed out and angry, and the more so given we no longer have empowerment scrolls etc to spend marks on which makes my marks unless since I already had all the cosmetics and rep items I want. The uneven playing field is irksome too given those who caught the one day window were able to make use of the time they had invested in acquiring marks while ours got trashed.

Mine still says

"The LOTRO game worlds will be unavailable on Wednesday, October 12th from 5:00 AM - 2:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT) for extended maintenance and to release Update 33.2.2. The release notes will be available Wednesday on LOTRO.com."

But I don't see any patch notes.

When they are so opaque I fear the worst...

It's tomorrow and still no patch notes. What gives?

istvana is offline Legendary forums 1st poster
    The glass is half full. These extended downtimes are doing something to improve lag but they don't want to get our hopes up in case it is ...imperfectly successful. The glass is half full. These extended downtimes are to prepare for the mini-expansion so that we just have a 10 minute downtime that day with no need to take the servers down for half a week 30 minutes later. The glass is half full ...... Oh the heck with it <drinks from the now empty glass>. Might as well wait for the notes - speculation, like resistance, is futile.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast